Bang!: The Complete History of the Universe…

Bang!: The Complete History of the Universe

by Brian May, Chris Lintott, Patrick Moore

I don't think that lavishly illustrated, large-format intros are the inimitable Sir Patrick's usual style of extolling astronomy, but that's what we have here.
  fpagan | Jul 24, 2008 |
I got this for Paul's birthday, to be fair mostly because I wanted to read it.

We read it together, taking it in turns to read out loud to each other, which was great fun, and we ended up discussing lots of things, with Paul explaining some of the stuff I didn't get in more detail. ( )
  elmyra | Jul 13, 2008 |

Brian Mayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lintott, Chrismain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, Patrickmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Who knows what Brian May was thinking when he wrote "We Will Rock You" for Queen? As a lifelong astrophysics aficionado, he may have been thinking about the origins of the universe. He's certainly been thinking about it lately. May, a freshly minted astrophysics Ph.D., joins forces with legendary astronomer Patrick Moore and astrophysicist Chris Lintott in Bang! to consider the history of the universe from the Big Bang to Heat Death.

Space, time, and matter were birthed 13.7 billion years ago and will continue on longer than we are able to comprehend. Infinitesimally small at first, the Universe is immense and ever expanding. Bang! explains how it all started, takes you on a tour of what is known about the evolution of the Universe, and posits how the end of time will come about.

This fascinating book includes photographs, short biographies of key figures, an at-a-glance timeline, a glossary of terms, and suggested resources for further exploration.

Based on the work of history’s most brilliant scientific minds, this amazing story features clear, straightforward discussions of the most perplexing and compelling aspects of existence—from the formation of stars, planets, and other galactic bodies to black holes, quasars, anti-matter, and dark matter to the emergence of life and the possibility that it could exist elsewhere.

Pick up a copy of Bang! It will, it will rock you.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:39 -0400)

"Bang! Space, time, matter ... the Universe was born 13.7 billion years ago. Infinitely small at first, it expanded more rapidly than anyone can contemplate. Brian May, Patrick Moore, and Chris Lintott explain how all this came about, from that moment when time and space came into existence, to the formation of the first stars, galaxies and planets, and to the evolution of human beings being able to contemplate our own origins and ultimate destiny. Then on towards that destiny in the infinite future, long after the Earth has been consumed by the Red Giant Sun. The story is told in clear, straightforward terms, in the strict order in which the events happened, and uses no mathematics."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,533,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible