The Last One: A Novel by Alexandra Oliva

The Last One: A Novel

by Alexandra Oliva

This was a book that should have been right in my wheelhouse. A story about a reality show mixed with dystopia? Yes, please! But ultimately, I don’t think it fulfilled its promises.

My first problem with it is that the narration style left me feeling very detached from the main character, Sam/Zoo. Some chapters focus on establishing the reality show — what happens at the beginning, and what is happening behind the scenes as the adventure continues. The other chapters are Sam/Zoo wandering on her own, trying to find her way to the end of the game through a world she thinks the producers have created. We’re introduced to all of these characters that mean very little in the end.

The second problem I had with it was that it just didn’t feel very believable by the end. I could buy her disorientation — something happens to her that makes that part believable — but I couldn’t buy her continued drive to complete the game nor her belief that everything she was encountering was created by the show. There was an uncomfortable amount of focus on a dead/not-dead baby/not-baby. And the ending relies on her misunderstanding a piece of information that shouldn’t have been a misunderstanding. It felt like blatant manipulation by the author rather than a honest turn of events.

In the end, I guess the premise was a little too far out for me. I finished it, but I questioned myself along the way. ( )
  miyurose | Jan 9, 2018 |
I was given this Advanced Copy in exchange for a review from NetGalley. What a great book. The first reason I wanted to read it was because it said if you were a fan of The Passage and The Road which were awesome and some of my favorite books. When this book started I almost put it down for one simple reason. It started with our characters being filmed in a very elaborate reality show which I absolutely hate and never watch. But the editor who is putting the show together is sick and we know that this is some sort of contagion that's going to become a pandemic. The characters were so great! Our main character "Zoo" who's real name is Mae, is married and decides that before her and her husband start a family she wants to do this one last crazy thing, survive on a reality show. The story flashes back and forth from the TV show with behind the scenes looks to online chat rooms where people are talking about episodes of the show.
You soon realize that while Zoo is out in the wilderness surviving the "show" that props and events that she thinks are part of the show are actually part of the "real" world falling apart and she does not seem to realize that she is no longer part of a reality show.
Very original sort of post apocalyptic story line and very addictive. Ends with a huge cliff hanger so I really....REALLY hope this book continues but this could be a stand alone book. :) ( )
1 vote Verkruissen | Aug 12, 2017 |
Give any TV Reality Show half a chance, and you will be hooked: ‘In the Dark’ is the standard ‘Survivor’ style product in which 12 strangers compete for the million-dollar prize – except there is no time limit to this show. It ends when there is only one competitor left – and Zoo is determined it will be her.

Things start to go badly wrong, but Zoo thinks the corpses and general weirdness are mere special effects, not realising a pandemic has struck the USA, killing millions. Or is she right – could it all just be part of ‘the game’? Gripping, intriguing and suspenseful, The Last One is a thrillingly impressive debut. ( )
1 vote adpaton | Aug 11, 2017 |
3.5 stars

What if you were alone in the woods as part of a Survivor-inspired reality show when the next plague hit?

Yeah, it's a weird premise that veers between viable and forced, but even when it's slightly less than believable, it's still enough to keep you reading. The focus changes fluidly, from the show's beginnings to the thrilleristic aftermath and back. Even though the "twist" was telegraphed about a mile in advance, it still had emotional impact.

Fans of Station Eleven may find this a partial filler for that space. It's a pretty good debut novel, but is not quite surprising enough or profound enough to become a favorite in the genre.

I received a copy of this ebook from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. Thanks! ( )
1 vote BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
Zoo (so nicknamed because she works at a wildlife-rehabilitation center) is a contestant on a survival-type reality TV show where she is dropped into the wilderness and must complete silly challenges; she doesn't know, however, that a horrific pandemic has pretty much wiped out everyone on the East Coast in the span of a few days, so she makes her way home thinking the devastation she sees around her is all part of the game.

It's a bit of a far-fetched premise, I'll admit, but I think Oliva does good work with it, although it may have been more effective if the reader hadn't been told of the pandemic from the start, if we also had been left to wonder whether what Zoo was experiencing was real or staged. The chapters alternate between Zoo's journey home after the pandemic and the filming of the reality TV show with the other contestants before the shit hits the fan. I enjoyed these latter chapters more, as I found the character dynamics more interesting, and I kind of wished that Oliva had gone for a slightly different story with the setup that she gave us. I see what she was trying to do with Zoo's solo odyssey of denial, and I appreciate it, but it was difficult for me to buy into, and I didn't find Zoo's character compelling enough to have strong feelings for her. Still, this is a very readable book for fans of apocalyptic fiction. ( )
1 vote sturlington | Apr 14, 2017 |
The first one on the production team to die will be the editor.

She wanted an adventure. She never imagined it would go this far.

It begins with a reality TV show. Twelve contestants are sent into the woods to face challenges that will test the limits of their endurance. While they are out there, something terrible happens — but how widespread is the destruction, and had it occurred naturally or is it man-made? Cut off from society, the contestants know nothing of it. When one of them — a young woman the show's producers call Zoo — stumbles across the devastation, she can imagine only that it is part of the game.

Alone and disoriented, Zoo is heavy with doubt regarding the life — and husband — she left behind, but she refuses to quit. Staggering countless miles across unfamiliar territory, Zoo must summon all her survival skills — and learn new ones as she goes.

But as her emotional and physical reserves dwindle, she grasps that the real world might have been altered in terrifying ways — and her ability to parse the charade will be either her triumph of her undoing.

"For readers of Station Eleven and The Passage comes a dazzling and unsettling novel of psychological suspense. In Alexandra Oliva's thrilling fiction debut, survival is the name of the game, as the line blurs between reality TV and reality itself--and one woman's mind and body are pushed to the limit. She wanted an adventure. She never imagined it would go this far. It begins with a reality TV show.Twelve contestants are sent into the woods to face challenges that will test the limits of their endurance. While they are out there, something terrible happens--but how widespread is the destruction, and has it occurred naturally or is it man-made? Cut off from society, the contestants know nothing of it. When one of them--a young woman the show's producers call Zoo--stumbles across the devastation, she can imagine only that it is part of the game. Alone and disoriented, Zoo is heavy with doubt regarding the life--and husband--she left behind, but she refuses to quit. Staggering countless miles across unfamiliar territory, Zoo must summon all her survival skills--and learn new ones as she goes. But as her emotional and physical reserves dwindle, she grasps that the real world might have been altered in terrifying ways--and her ability to parse the charade will be either her triumph or her undoing. Sophisticated and provocative, The Last One is a novel that forces us to confront the role that media plays in our perception of what is real: how readily we cast our judgments, how easily we are manipulated. Advance praise for The Last One: "The Last One seamlessly melds two of our contemporary obsessions--the threat of global catastrophe and the staged drama of reality TV--into a fiercely imagined tale of the human psyche under stress. This is an uncompromising, thought-provoking debut."--Justin Cronin. "Haunting, moving, and remarkable, Alexandra Oliva's debut novel is clever in its concept and gripping in its delivery. This propulsive book is for everyone who ever thought reality television signaled the end of the world."--Karen Joy Fowler. "Taut, tense, and at times almost unbearably real, The Last One is both a compelling read, and a terrifyingly believable evocation of survival against the odds."--Ruth Ware, New York Times bestselling author of In a Dark, Dark Wood. "Page-turning and deeply unsettling."--Rosamund Lupton, internationally bestselling author of Sister"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,753,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible