The Pharos Gate: Griffin & Sabine's Missing…

The Pharos Gate: Griffin & Sabine's Missing Correspondence (2016)

by Nick Bantock

8419143,474 (4.13)21

Griffin and Sabine. I sigh to hear their names. Their backstory is such: Griffin is an artist in damp and dreary London. One day he receives an unusual postcard from a woman claiming to have the ability to see his art as he is creating it...except Sabine is somewhere in the South Pacific. Trying to make sense of her unusual voyeurism into his creation before it is fully formed forces Griffin to continue a correspondence with her. Soon they fall in love without ever meeting. [Been there.] Subsequent volumes have Griffin and Sabine trying to cross the divide to see each other face to face, but their efforts are thwarted at every turn. In Pharos Gate the star-crossed couple discover a safe place to meet: at Pharos Gate in Alexandria. With the help of a friend Griffin sets off across the globe to reach his love. And reach her, he does. But! Supposedly, this is the final book in the series and yet Bantock leaves his audience hanging once again...I adore it. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Aug 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having read the previous 6 books in elementary/middle school, I was happy to see this one available. It fits right in to the series, with beautiful artwork and mysterious narrative. If you liked the others, you'll like this one too ;)
  theresearcher | Nov 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was somewhere between 11 and 14 the first time I read the Griffin & Sabine Trilogy. Between the art and the epistolary format my young mind was blown. At 32 I am a different reader.

I still think the first book, Griffin & Sabine, is a beautiful mystery, told with a deft touch. However, the sequels were less satisfying. The first book stands on its own and benefits from the limited view presented through letters and letters alone. The followups, unfortunately, extend the story using plot convenience to restrict the character interactions within the post, while telling us too much to maintain the mystery.

As far as the sequels go, The Pharos Gate is among the better ones. The art, as always, is beautiful. Butthe real improvement over The Golden Mean and Sabine's Notebook is that it is no longer tethers to the lovers' perspectives. Correspondence relating to the story between other characters offer a fresh voice and angle to a story that had become bogged down with the increasingly unbearable lovers and their cosmic fantasies. ( )
  fundevogel | Aug 18, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was so excited to find this book in my mailbox that I tore open the envelope while sitting in my car in the driveway and started reading right away. When I finished, I was still sitting in the car in the driveway, uncaring that my neighbors were giving me looks. Such a fun series - lovely art, weird but compelling story, interesting but weird characters, great concept of opening envelopes and reading other people's mail. I now have four of these books on my shelf and think it's time to get the rest of the series so I can reread from start to finish in one fever-dream-like binge. ( )
  Storeetllr | Jul 3, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've been a fan of Bantock's art since first shown a Griffin and Sabine book fifteen years ago, and it's fantastic to see Bantock find new things to show us. But I am a fan primary of the art and not quite as much the story, which is as beautiful and coherent as a fevered dream -- and as other reviewers have said, it would be nice to see a conclusion.
  MyriadBooks | May 31, 2016 |
When two close kindred meet, what better than to call a dance?
for Joyce
Sabine -
I remember so much that has not happened.
Memories haunt me from time passed that has not come yet.
I think I'm here to plug the holes in the draughty disappointments of my childhood.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nick Bantock's book Pharos Gate was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible