Three Sisters, Three Queens by Philippa…

Three Sisters, Three Queens (2016)

by Philippa Gregory

This book describes the perspective of Margaret Tudor during the realm and political turmoil of Henry VIII. Interesting read. ( )
  Baochuan | Oct 3, 2017 |
1500 England/Scotland history told in a well organized way. Great read ( )
  travelgal | Oct 2, 2017 |
I liked being thoroughly inside someone's head and heart - different from my own motivations. Interesting history. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Aug 11, 2017 |
I'm always vowing to not read anymore Philippa Gregory novels - and then I always pick up another one. (Why do I do this to myself?) I appreciated that Margaret Tudor is tackled in this book - she is both seldom written about and completely fascinating - and despite the title this book is basically about Margaret (her relationships with her sister Mary and sister-in-law Catherine of Aragon are highlighted, hence the title). I did feel that Margaret deserved better motivations and characterizations than she received in this book, that the author seemed to take the easiest path and failed to explore more complex explanations for Margaret's actions. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 1, 2017 |
Margaret is born a Tudor, daughter of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York sister to two princes,s he is brought up to value her name and to be a Queen. She is married off to the King of Scotland at the age of 14. Katherine is a Spanish princess who arrives in England to marry Margaret's brother Arthur. Mary is the youngest, a beautiful but shallow girl she is married off to the ageing king of France. All three are widowed early and all three make second marriages but fate has them following very different paths. Three queens and three sisters but unlike each other.
There is no-one better at writing historical fiction than Gregory and every book is a joy to read. As someone who has a passion for history I read factual books about the period and what I love is that Gregory's novels are rooted in deep research and a love for the period. Yes, she fictionalises relationships, creates dialogue and emotions, but she includes fact as well to bolster her top class storytelling. Here Gregory's focus is Margaret, Henry VIII's elder sister, she was the mother of James V of Scotland and is the least well known of the Tudors as Gregory acknowledges. However her story is fascinating and the belief in the power and right of the Tudors is interesting when considered against the actions of her younger brother. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
I am to wear white and green, as a Tudor princess.
James has a profound interest in the workings of things, and wherever we go he is off to bell towers to see the mechanism of clocks, or to water mills to see a new way of loading wheat into the grinding stones. In one little village they have a wind pump to get the water out of the ditches and he spends half the day with the Dutchman who built it, going up and down the sluices and up and down the stairs to the stalls until he understand completely how it works.

United in sisterhood by birth and marriage, Katherine of Aragon, Queen of England; Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scots; and Mary Tudor, Queen of France immediately recognize each other as both allies and rivals in the treacherous world of court and national politics. Their bonds extend beyond natural and expeditious loyalties, as romance, scandal, war, and religion inextricably unite these three for better or for worse. --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,452,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible