Rag and Bone (A Charm of Magpies) by KJ…

Rag and Bone (A Charm of Magpies) (2016)

by KJ Charles

"I write the world as I want it to be. I write, and it is."

I loved K.J. Charle's Magpie trilogy and the introduction into that magic-focused Historical society. As a fan of course I'm happy she's continued in that world, despite ending the trilogy with Lucien and Stephen Day. They have remained my favorites, but it was fun to run into Ben and Jonah's tense situation in [b:Jackdaw|22885333|Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)|K.J. Charles|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1407489431s/22885333.jpg|42454930] and now two new characters in 'Rag and Bone.'

The story touches the others since Stephen Day is in this one a decent amount, as well as some of the other major players of the magic police force like Esther. For the first part of the story they just annoy me with frustrating bureaucracy, but they save face later with a clever twist and solution. It seems sometimes people seem to be misunderstanding when they're actually getting it in the first place.

You also see a small glimpse of Jonah, and the beginning of his story/escape ends up coinciding with a major development with this book. It seems the author is setting these up right before Stephen Day departs the team permanently.

It's intriguing how each person gets their unique magical ability, and I like how Crispin's power is something that can be conceived as dark magic but is a powerful, unique force which can be used for good if he doesn't stray into Warlock territory. The solution in the end fitted that perfectly.

On the negative side, the characters just aren't as addictive. Crispin is a sweet guy but I do wish he had a stronger backbone. Sometimes I wanted to slap him and make him asset himself. Sure, Stephen had a submissive streak but if he believed in something, he'd say it. Stuttering can be an endearing trait, but Crispin seemed to weak willed to hold the book together by himself. Ned is a cool guy as well, but again just kind of there. I like them both, they just don't stand out beyond their magical abilities or potential.

It was also in the controversy of mixed race relationship, but this was touched upon heavier in the mini prequel, [b:A Queer Trade|28225450|A Queer Trade (Rag and Bone, #0.5)|K.J. Charles|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1450274561s/28225450.jpg|48253219].

It's nice to see the author continue in her unique world with fresh blood, so I'll keep reading the series if it continues, even if the originals still remain my favorites. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I read this in one sitting--I just couldn't stop. It was fun to be in the world of A Charm of Magpies again, and the appearance of other favorite characters was fun. Crispin and Ned make such a great team. The end was unexpected and perfect! ( )
  waclements7 | May 27, 2016 |
This novel is linked to the A charm of magpies books, which I have not read. There are some hints at them, but I hadn't the feeling of missing important story parts. There was however a feeling of "Wow, there was a lot happening before this one, wasn't there?" I think I'll read the others some time, too. But enough of this.

I really liked Crispin and Ned's relationship. Both have understandable doubts about themselves and the relationship itself. I liked the magical theory even more! The blood pen wasn't something I have read before. Very interesting and so very, very creepy.

I didn't like the writing style that much, but it wasn't bad and I was very entertained. Even though there wasn't happening much. It was a nice change. Sometimes books have so many subplots you don't know what's going on.

Disclaimer: I was provided with a free copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you. ( )
  bookstogetlostin | Feb 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,057,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible