Can I Eat That? by Joshua David Stein

Can I Eat That?

by Joshua David Stein

Other authors: Julia Rothman (Illustrator)

the book is about foods, kids can learn different foods and plates from other countries, the can learn similar words sound that are not food.
  mcarrollfr | Nov 21, 2016 |
Food and restaurant critic for the New York Observer, Joshua David Stein makes his picture-book debut with Can I Eat That?, which presents a seemingly random series of questions about different items and their edibility. A number of international dishes - Japanese Uni donburi (sea urchin over rice), Italian tonnato (tuna sauce), French tournedos (steak) - are featured, as are some sillier questions, such as whether eggs grow on eggplants, or whether there is a 'bacoff' to complement bacon.

Less of a story than a series of interesting food-related facts, accompanied by vividly colorful illustrations from food artist Julia Rothman, Can I Eat That? is a picture-book that will have a certain quirky appeal for some young readers, but will leave others cold. I'm not really sure to whom I would recommend it - perhaps those who enjoy more 'conceptual' examples of the genre? - although it definitely isn't suitable for vegetarians, as it features quite a few meat and fish-based foods. Clearly, for vegetarians at least, the answer to the question 'can I eat that?' would often be no. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | May 23, 2016 |

Joshua David Steinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rothman, JuliaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A whimsical–yet factual–series of questions and answers about the things we eat... and don't eat!

Food critic Joshua David Stein whets the appetite of young readers with a wondrous and informative approach to talking about food. This humorous, stylized and entirely unexpected set of food facts will engage both good eaters and resisters alike. With questions both practical ("Can you eat a sea urchin?") and playful ("Do eggs grow on eggplants?"), this read-aloud text offers young children facts to share and the subtle encouragement to taste something new! Food and textile illustrator Julia Rothman brings an authenticity to the text that Stein has written from the heart, for his own three year-old and for pre-schoolers everywhere.

Created for ages 3-5 years

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 04 Mar 2016 00:30:10 -0500)

"This humorous, stylized and entirely unexpected set of food facts will engage both good eaters and resisters alike. With questions both practical ('Can you eat a sea urchin?') and playful ('Do eggs grow on eggplants?'), this read-aloud text offers young children facts to share and the subtle encouragement to taste something new!"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,289,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible