Fast Metabolism Food Rx: 7 Powerful…

Fast Metabolism Food Rx: 7 Powerful Prescriptions to Feed Your Body Back…

by Haylie Pomroy

831,035,133 (4.17)None

7 Powerful Prescriptions to Feed Your Body Back to Health

And as the subtitle continues….it is for G. I. stress, fatigue, hormones, mood, cholesterol, diabetes and autoimmunity.

Fast Metabolism Food Rx is all about repairing your metabolic pathways, using food as medicine and listening to your own body. As the author says (paraphrased), what good is eating certain foods if you can’t metabolize them properly or absorb the nutrients from them?

She first goes into what is real health and what is metabolism.

The real key to health is to be able to empower the body and purposefully manipulate what your unique body does with the particular foods you eat. (page 17)

Ms. Pomroy does include ideas for exercise and environment but believes that we are “most powerfully controlled by your food choices”, (page 17) and that, “to effect any kind of metabolic change…you have to change what you are doing.” (page 17)

Metabolism is the big-picture process of how your body takes things in and transforms them for energy, rebuilding, and repairing. (page 22)

When you change your metabolism, you can potentially change almost anything about how your body works. (page 22)

You essentially have to buy-in to this author’s theory of how illness and disease happen and to how to reverse it.

An imbalance in metabolic pathways is at the crux of all chronic disease. (page 29)

In most cases, outside of surgery: Food is the only way to repair chronic disease. (page 30)

The author then goes on to give you an introductory symptom quiz to see what your body is telling you. (pages 44-45) And there is a much more detailed quiz in the back of the book to help you determine which chapter’s “prescription” you should do first. (pages 245-248)

There are some foundational rules for good health, such as never to skip breakfast, to eat real food, don’t skip meals, do not exercise on an empty stomach, drink lots of water etc. and this includes a basic food list to eat from (which excludes gluten grains and dairy).

Then the book has a chapter with a prescription for a particular group of ailments that use the same metabolic pathways, such as:

gastrointestinal dysfunction, indigestion and IBS
fatigue, low energy and exhaustion
PMS, perimenopause, menopause and manopause
high cholesterol, inflammation, impaired lipid metabolism
mood changes and cognitive challenges
metabolic syndrome, blood sugar issues, prediabetes and diabetes
immune dysfunction and autoimmune disorders

In each chapter she includes sample symptoms, targeted pathways for repair, guidelines for repair, top 20 power foods for repair, sample meal plans, sample recipes, and some nonfood strategies to include.

Not being a professional nutritionist or doctor I can’t speak as to the complete soundness of this program but from my extensive reading it does sound reasonable, safe and healthy to me.

Since most of my readers are Christian I do want to point out that this book does in NO way address spiritual issues; does not talk about the true cause of illness, stemming for Adam’s sin or as coming from demonic activity. So keep that in mind, that this book is only talking about things in the natural, and from, as far as I can tell, from a nonchristian.

This book is best suited for people who are looking for help in natural to some of their health problems and that already believe in the premise that food is medicine or at least that food is a very good way to be a good steward of your own health.

To purchase your own copy of this book go here:Fast Metabolism Food Rx: 7 Powerful Prescriptions to Feed Your Body Back to Health

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group as part of their blogging for books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  cherylcope | Aug 8, 2016 |
Fast Metabolism Food Rx by Haylie Pomroy grabs your attention right away! Just look at the cover (here it is again). Bold letters. The title speaks for itself, but it's the subscript of "7 Powerful prescriptions to feed your body back to health", and then underneath lists a few health issues that it targets. The more I read about food and diet, the more I'm convinced how food is one of the major culprits to declining health or any health issues. And this book, speaks towards that belief.

I'm not familiar with Haylie, but after reading her introduction, I am fairly certain she knows what she's talking about. Having had multiple genetic and environmental health issues, she understands what it means when your body is not what it's meant to be - healthy and vibrant. This book is about your body and what it craves, what it desires and what will make it happy - the right food. In Fast Metabolism Food Rx, she provides strategies to help your body achieve the goal of happiness - health. Her strategies are backed with lots of notes and references from medical professionals and published research. It includes charts and lists to help you understand and plan a "repair attack". For example, there's a meal plan for blood sugar repair for 7 days on page 211. I personally love the appendix list that combines a lot of the lists throughout the book, and I go back to it constantly to check on that food group.

In all, a great resource for anyone, healthy or with some health issues.

This review first appeared in the Just Commonly Blog.

NOTE: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, Harmony Books through Blogging for Books for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page. ( )
  justcommonly | Mar 29, 2016 |
This is an interesting read, and certainly one of the better books available for addressing the connection between food and health. The content might be somewhat technical for some readers, particularly if this topic is new to you. That being said, the author does an excellent job of clarifying and breaking down information into the simplest terms.

The layout is simple to navigate, with much of the book divided into diet plans for specific health issues. This allows readers to easily find the plan best suited to their needs. We're given lists of the best foods to eat and, in some cases, foods to avoid. The author also includes a sample meal plan in each section.

While I do think this book is well worth reading, there are some things to be aware of before delving in. First, the diet plans are all quite strict. I've been following a fairly strict diet on my own for years, partly out of necessity and partly out of preference. But this is even strict for me. You need to really want to heal, and you need to have a lot of willpower in sticking with this. These diet plans will be especially difficult for people who work full-time. Along with the strictness of what you eat and don't eat, you're required to eat a small meal or healthy snack five to six times every day. So you'll need a flexible job and/or an understanding boss.

The most challenging aspect for me personally is the meal preparation. Even many of the snacks require some measure of cooking. If you're like me and have severe chronic health issues, you might also find this aspect of the healing diet exasperating.

*I was provided with a copy of this book by the publisher, via Blogging For Books, in exchange for my honest review.* ( )
  Darcia | Mar 22, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080414107X, Hardcover)

WANT TO FEEL GREAT, DISEASE-PROOF YOUR BODY, AND LIVE AT YOUR IDEAL WEIGHT?  THEN, EAT YOUR MEDICINE

Haylie Pomroy, celebrated nutritionist, and #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Fast Metabolism Diet, shares a food prescription for the 7 most common ways your metabolism misfires and leads to exhaustion, excess weight, and illness. With her targeted eating plans you can feed your body back to a vibrant, energetic, and thriving state.
When multiple health challenges threatened the author’s life, it set her on an investigative journey that was life-changing—and lifesaving.  In this book, she shares her personal story for the first time, as well as the powerful food programs she created based on the methods and philosophies that saved her life and helped her thrive. For decades now, these same food therapies have provided profound clinical results in her clinics where she’s treated thousands of others.

Our bodies are always talking, communicating their needs. We just need to learn how to listen. Sometimes they whisper to us—our energy is off, we just don't feel right, we have indigestion or IBS, or our body shape is morphing in ways we don’t recognize or like. Sometimes our bodies speak up and change our biochemistry in order to get our attention, by pushing our cholesterol a little higher, making us irritable, reactive, or ‘foggy.’ At other times our bodies are screaming for help, we have become pre- or full-blown diabetic and our immune systems are confused and attacking us.  Every one of these health signals hides a specific problem, and for which food, not drugs, is the answer.
So, if you’re suffering from GI issues, fatigue, out of whack hormones, mood and cognition difficulties, elevated cholesterol, blood sugar control problems, or an autoimmune problem, Food Rx has the solution for you.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:11:31 -0500)

"Haylie Pomroy, celebrated nutritionist, and New York Times bestselling author of The Fast Metabolism Diet shares a prescription for total health based on decades of work using food as metabolic medicine. Our bodies are always talking; we just need to learn how to listen to them. Sometimes they whisper to us--our energy is off, our body shape is morphing in ways we don't like. Sometimes they try to give us straight talk, pushing our cholesterol a little higher or we have IBS or indigestion. At other times they're screaming, we're pre-diabetic or full blown, our moods are a mess, and our immune systems confused and attacking us. Every one of these health signals hides a specific kind of metabolic dysfunction, and for each, food is the answer. In her new book, Haylie teaches us that anyone can achieve the body and health they want from the foods that they choose and use"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,872,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible