Belladonna by Anne Bishop

Popsugar Challenge 2015 | Task 42: A book you own but haven't read

Not my favorite series by Bishop. All four of her series resonate with the same themes, but this one is a pale imitation of the Black Jewels world. The pacing was also a little off, sometimes plodding along and other racing to the finish. ( )
  Bodagirl | Aug 23, 2015 |
All of Anne Bishop's writing (that I've read) have the same themes: men vs. women, power, connection to the natural world. Someone said her writing is "Id-fueled." I'm not sure I agree, but I can't disagree either. Belladonna is engaging but a little slow. The Ephemera series doesn't read any differently from the Black Jewels or Tir Alainn series. Men work to destroy women (and their male allies). One woman hides a powerful secret AND holds the fate of the world in her hands. ( )
1 vote lesmel | Jul 6, 2014 |
A gripping sequel to Sebastian, Anne Bishop continues the story of the characters who inhabit Ephemera, a fantasy land where the land reflects the hearts of those who influence it. The powerful Landscaper Glorianna Belladonna, cast out during her training from her fellow Landscapers, struggles with her mission to cast out the Eater of the World and to protect the places of Light. She finds help from her family and from two siblings who find their way into Glorianna's landscapes. With her signature style, Anne Bishop creates a fun read full of emotion. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Nov 17, 2012 |
This is the second book in this highly enjoyable series about a world of separate landscapes of light and dark. This title features Belladonna, who is a guide of the heart and the man of her dreams (literally), Michael. ( )
  hoosgracie | Oct 15, 2012 |
Sometimes this book was amazing, sometimes it was too long. Maybe because I read it right after Sebastian and had payed so much attention to the «rules» of Ephemera that I didn’t need to read about them all over again. Maybe that stuff was written to appease some skeptical readers, but to me was quite unnecessary. I don’t ask many questions about fantastic worlds, I don’t try to make them more «real». What would be the fun in that?

That said, this book is about love. While the others always had a strong sexual component, I find this one sweet and romantic in a way that almost drove me to tears. Still tracing a parallel with certain characteristics from the Black Jewels trilogy, these new characters have become new friends of mine in a glimpse. That’s Anne Bishop just for you.

«Travel lightly.» ( )
1 vote Eilantha_Le_Fay | Jun 19, 2012 |
For Mia Quian Lee Debany. Welcome to our landscapes. And for the Magicians, who understand that love is the real magic.
In the pale gray light, that herald of the dawn, Glorianna followed the path through the woods until she reached the two-story cottage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461541, Mass Market Paperback)

The Eater of the World is casting its shadow over the landscapes of Ephemera, tainting people's souls with doubts and fears. Only Glorianna Belladonna possesses the ability to thwart the Eater--but she is not alone. In dreams, a call has traveled beyond the Landscapes and reached Michael, a man with mysterious powers of his own...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:26 -0400)

As the Eater of the World continues to spread its dark influence across the land of Ephemera, Glorianna Belladonna stands alone against the evil entity, until enigmatic visions lead her to Michael, a man who possesses his own mysterious powers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible