The Great Betrayal by Millenia Black

The Great Betrayal

by Millenia Black

Despite the controversy around the release of this novel by Author, Millenia Black who is African American, however, “The Great Betrayal,” The novel features Caucasian characters. The book was accepted in outline form with the characters as white. Black then wrote the novel based on this outline. It was just after Black had finished the manuscript when the characters race change was requested by her editor to change the characters to African-American. Ms. Black won on this issue and has an interesting story to tell.

The book is about family secrets, relationships, struggles, drama, over-coming obstacles, growing. It's about love, loss, pain, loyalty, and betrayal.
This novel was well-written, and I believe Ms. Black has a great formula, moving from the past to the present skillfully. Even if you don't like the characters you’re compelled to read on. Ms. Black made flawed characters fascinating with intense, emotional dialog and vibrant narrative. It had enough drama to make me want to see how it all played out in the end. There are scenes of child molestation, which are not graphic, but convey the feeling without being too explicit.

She picked the right title for this book. If you like a book with romance, family obstacles and scandals then “The Great Betrayal” is a must read. I listened to the audio version of this book checked out from my local library. As a first time reader/listener for this author who also penned “The Great Pretender.”

I thought I had the betrayal figured out in the beginning, but there were enough twists to have me doubting myself until the very end. In the cloudy conclusion, in the epilogue, leaves too much room for the reader to have to fill in what happened to all the people that were affected by Leslie and her decisions. I like a finished story, even a sad ending and maybe that is what this is. It's left open-ended for a sequel. ( )
  altima313 | Mar 10, 2009 |
"...looking Crockett-and-Tubbs cool..."

I love Millenia's style and this one was a roller coaster of emotions throughout the book. I loved the desperation of the characters. In this book, as opposed to The Great Pretender, the characters were likable. I wanted to help them. I wanted them to help themselves. They became so real to me. Twists and turns, I never knew what to expect next. Although I did have the betrayal figured out in the beginning, there were enough twists to have me doubting myself. Upon the realization I was correct though, it was still a horrible shock to the system. I liked The Great Pretender, but I REALLY liked The Great Betrayal.

http://iamagirldork.livejournal.com/26529.html ( )
  iamagirldork | Jun 14, 2007 |
A great story and characters, even though I didn't like any of the characters. I did figure something out about the plot, but not the ending. autographed, permanat collection. ( )
  chaoscat60 | Mar 13, 2007 |
This is Millenia's second book - and is a really good read. Leslie Cavanaugh is a successful business woman, married to a gorgeous man called Luke, and they have a daughter Kathryn. They have a wonderful life - but Leslie has a secret - and she has been deceiving her family, as well as herself. When the secret is discovered, the Cavanaugh's world comes apart. As the family learns to deal with the past - Luke and Kathryn start to cover up their own secrets. But only one will commit the ultimate great betrayal.
This book is very well written. It successfully evokes intense emotional pain and conveys to the reader how differently people all react to trauma. Each of the characters are very real and the four main characters each have their own misfortune to face - and some of the events that happen are quite shocking. Millenia has been able to bring all the threads together, travelling between the past and the present skilfully - to produce a can't put down until you're finished novel. ( )
  sally906 | Jan 20, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219538, Paperback)

By all appearances, the Cavanaughs of West Palm have an ideal marriage and family life-the perfect home with few complications. Leslie, the beautiful mother, shines brightly in corporate America. Her adoring husband, Luke, is movie-star handsome and an award-winning architect. Their privileged daughter, Kathryn, enjoys the best that life has to offer.

But castles built on sand are eventually washed away by the sea.

Leslie Cavanaugh is not who she claims to be-she's a woman with a painful secret that's about to shake the entire family to its core. And she's not the only one playing a game of deception. Her daughter is risking more than the family's good name with her search for love and attention in all the wrong places, and Leslie finds the unmistakable clues that her husband is having an affair. As she struggles to hold her family together, nothing can prepare her for the most intimate betrayal of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:35 -0400)

Leslie Cavanaugh enjoys the perfect life in West Palm, Florida. She has the best husband, daughter, and career anyone could ask for. Yet when her shameful past is exposed, she and everyone she holds dear are soon caught in a dramatic maelstrom.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,354,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible