Braving It: A Father, a Daughter, and an…

Braving It: A Father, a Daughter, and an Unforgettable Journey into the…

by James Campbell

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Memoir of a father's trip with his teenage daughter to Alaska. The story was interesting but I found the writing style very simple. It was easy to read, but with the subject matter I kept find myself wanting just a little bit more. I read this book at the same time as my dad with the hopes that it would spur conversation and in that aspect it did not disappoint.

I received a copy of this book through the Early Reviewer program. ( )
  Jamilyn | Mar 13, 2017 |
A father takes his teenage daughter on a series of Alaskan arctic wilderness trips. Building a cabin in the bush, trapping and hunting in the winter, and paddling the Hula Hula River. The writing style is similar to a travelogue, not too deep or insightful. Lessons on parenting, where found, are subtle. Despite the lack of big pivotal events or strong stances taken, Campbell's writing style was somehow compelling and easy to read. I kept wanting to continue to the next chapter. I think this might be more interesting for someone who has little experience in backpacking, paddling, or simply not living in Alaska. Our bookclub consensus was positive. We found ourselves discussing some of the risk management decisions in the book. For supplemental readings, the daughter (Aidan) has a very well written blog called "gritty gal". ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Jan 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Finally a memoir that kept my interest throughout the book! It's been a long year of bad memoirs to finally get to the end of the rainbow with this book! It's a story about a father and his daughter taking 3 trips to Alaska and braving it through the weather, animals and hard work. I absolutely loved the writing and the author with his daughter's adventures.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/119952.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Jan 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an interesting memoir about a father taking his teenage daughter on a few extreme adventure trips in Alaska . The writing kept me intrigued through out the book . It was great to see his daughter was truly interested in being involved , not acting like most teens would in the trips . If you like mostly positive family-centered memoirs , then you will like reading this book . ( )
  AquariusNat | Sep 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and was very excited when I received it. (Thank you, Library Thing).

Because I was already a huge fan of "The Last Alaskans", I could totally relate to the (3) stories that showcased the trips that father and daughter embarked upon. To have one of the families that are followed on The Last Alaskans actually be a part of one of the stories was just an added bonus. I loved how we got to witness the maturing of a girl into a young woman, and how close she and her Dad were. This is a great adventure book, but also a Human Interest tale, that I would highly recommend to anyone who ever wished to venture out of their comfort zone and truly experience Life. A really great read that stayed with me long after I finished reading it. ( )
  GiGi4two | Aug 21, 2016 |
And yet there is only one great thing the only thing, to live to see the great day that dawns and the light that fills the world. ~From the anthropologist Edmund Carpenter, in his 1959 collection of Inuit Songs, Anerca.
My daughter Aidan hadn't yet entered kindergarten when I made a series of trips to the Alaskan Arctic while researching and writing my first book.

The powerful and affirming story of a father’s journey with his teenage daughter to the far reaches of Alaska

Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, home to only a handful of people, is a harsh and lonely place. So when James Campbell’s cousin Heimo Korth asked him to spend a summer building a cabin in the rugged Interior, Campbell hesitated about inviting his fifteen-year-old daughter, Aidan, to join him: Would she be able to withstand clouds of mosquitoes, the threat of grizzlies, bathing in an ice-cold river, and hours of grueling labor, peeling and hauling logs?

But once there, Aidan embraced the wild. She even agreed to return a few months later to help the Korths work their traplines and hunt for caribou and moose. Despite windchills of 50 degrees below zero, father and daughter ventured out daily to track, hunt, and trap. Under the supervision of Edna, Heimo’s Yupik Eskimo wife, Aidan grew more confident in the woods.

Campbell knew that in traditional Eskimo cultures, some daughters earned a rite of passage usually reserved for young men. So he decided to take Aidan back to Alaska one final time before she left home. It would be their third and most ambitious trip, backpacking over Alaska’s Brooks Range to the headwaters of the mighty Hulahula River, where they would assemble a folding canoe and paddle to the Arctic Ocean. The journey would test them, and their relationship, in one of the planet’s most remote places: a land of wolves, musk oxen, Dall sheep, golden eagles, and polar bears.

At turns poignant and humorous, Braving It is an ode to America’s disappearing wilderness and a profound meditation on what it means for a child to grow up—and a parent to finally, fully let go.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 20 Feb 2016 15:53:16 -0500)

"The powerful and affirming story of a father's journey with his teenage daughter to the far reaches of Alaska. Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, home to only a handful of people, is a harsh and lonely place. So when James Campbell's cousin Heimo Korth asked him to spend a summer building a cabin in the rugged Interior, Campbell hesitated about inviting his fifteen-year-old daughter, Aidan, to join him: Would she be able to withstand clouds of mosquitoes, the threat of grizzlies, bathing in an ice-cold river, and hours of grueling labor, peeling and hauling logs? But once there, Aidan embraced the wild. She even agreed to return a few months later to help the Korths work their traplines and hunt for caribou and moose. Despite windchills of 50 degrees below zero, father and daughter ventured out daily to track, hunt, and trap. Under the supervision of Edna, Heimo's Yupik Eskimo wife, Aidan grew more confident in the woods. Campbell knew that in traditional Eskimo cultures, some daughters earned a rite of passage usually reserved for young men. So he decided to take Aidan back to Alaska one final time before she left home. It would be their third and most ambitious trip, backpacking over Alaska's Brooks Range to the headwaters of the mighty Hulahula River, where they would assemble a folding canoe and paddle to the Arctic Ocean. The journey would test them, and their relationship, in one of the planet's most remote places: a land of wolves, musk oxen, Dall sheep, golden eagles, and polar bears. At turns poignant and humorous, Braving It is an ode to America's disappearing wilderness and a profound meditation on what it means for a child to grow up--and a parent to finally, fully let go"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

James Campbell's book Braving It was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible