One Plus One Equals Trouble by Sondra Kraak

One Plus One Equals Trouble

by Sondra Kraak

621,268,033 (5)None

What happens when a teaching job opens up in a small town and two people think they have the same job? Claire has left her comfortable life behind to try to get over a breakup. She travels to the small town after receiving news that she had a job as a teacher. It must be hard to start over in a town where you know no one. Claire is determined to prove that she can do this and doesn't need anyone to help her. I loved her fierce determination and desire to do something she loves. Getting the teaching position is everything to her.

Barrett has come back to his home town after his reputation is ruined while teaching at a university in another town. Will the scandal follow him to the town where everyone knows him? He has been promised the teaching job in Pine Creek and is glad to get away from all the whispers and stares from people at his old job. His character is strong with a great sense of right vs wrong. I liked his charm and his deep sense of faith.

The story is full of surprises as each must prove they are the best choice for the job. They have styles of teaching which makes for a few laughs and an interesting take on teaching in a one room schoolhouse. The children are full of energy and yes there are a few that may require a bit of patience, but they add excitement to the story. The author does a great job of describing the beautiful setting of Pine Creek. I found myself picturing this little schoolhouse surrounded by trees and breathtaking mountains. I could hear the children laughing as they played at recess and the sturdy desks they sat in while being taught.

The story is written with lessons in forgiveness, preferring one another, unconditional love and an ending that is a great compliment to the writing technique of the author. There were several things said in the book that really spoke to me. "Life's not a performance. Remember that. You've got nothing to prove." How many of us think we must be the best at everything in order to prove our self-worth? "Answering the call of God is not something we do after the details have been laid out. Nor is it something we do because we know it's right. It's something we do because it's right. Because we love Him." It may be hard to follow his direction, but He will not lead us astray. I absolutely loved the book and look forward to the next one in the series.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | May 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this fun read. Claire and Barrett are wonderful together. Though who will win the job of teacher for this town? Claire and Barrett are both hired to be this towns teacher even though they only need one. Can Claire be a less stiff person and can Barrett get the job to earn his land he really wants. Great read. I received an ebook from CelebrationLit for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | May 14, 2016 |

The one room schoolhouse isn’t big enough to hold thirty-four students, let alone the egos of two teachers. He can’t afford to lose the position, and she refuses to lose her heart. Washington, 1891 Humiliated after her broken engagement, Claire Montgomery flees her comfortable life in San Francisco for a teaching position in Pine Creek, Washington, a dot of a town nestled in the rugged Cascade Mountains. She’s determined to succeed—for once in her life—only to discover, upon her arrival, that success will have to be won. Thanks to a school board error, two teachers have been hired. When scandal forces professor Barrett Clarke from his position, he returns to Pine Creek where his uncle, chairman of the school board, sets forth an irresistible offer: teach one year in return for ranchland. For this would-be rancher, nothing is more tempting than resurrecting his childhood dream, and nothing can deter him from earning that land. Except perhaps Claire Montgomery. Losing the battle for the classroom means losing the ranchland, but winning may mean losing Claire’s heart. With large doses of humor and romantic tension, this Christian historical love story offers a picture of grace, forgiveness, and finding true worth.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 16 Mar 2016 03:51:05 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,447,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible