Charity's Cross (Charles Towne Belles)…

Charity's Cross (Charles Towne Belles) (Volume 4)

by Marylu Tyndall

It is the year 1718 in Portsmouth, England and Charity Wescott has just accidentally killed her very abusive husband. She finds herself fleeing her home and through very unusual circumstances, boarding a ship bound for Barbados, as the wife of a man, Elias Dutton. Elias is a pirate turned preacher, who is in a great hurry to reach Barbados and rescue his sister who is in trouble. He finds himself agreeing to this lie, so that he can sail on the boat. From here on out there will be storms, pirates, shipwreck and a lot of betrayal going on, but in all that Elias starts to see something truly strong and pure and true in Charity and finds himself falling in love, even though Charity treats him with disdain most of the time. Charity has no use for men and especially one who claims he is religious. It will be a battle of the wills and the outcome will be just as you expected, but it sure was fun watching these two learn to get along. A real swashbuckling adventure that seemed to bring this series to a conclusion.

This story can very easily be read as a stand alone book, but there are characters mentioned in this story that you will have come to know and appreciate if you have read more of MaryLu Tyndall's books. It is always good to be reminded of other stories I have enjoyed as I read this story. As it says in the back of the book, this author "makes no excuses for the deep spiritual themes embedded with her romantic adventures. Her hope is that readers will not only be entertained but will be brought closer to the Creator who loves them beyond measure. . . . . She hopes to show the awesome present and powerful acts of God in a dying world." And I appreciate this about this author. Enjoy! ( )
  judyg54 | Aug 7, 2017 |
The book was good. Charity is on the run...for a good reason. A dead husband and his brother is determined to see her hang for it. With a child on the way, she doesn't have much of a choice but to weave a web of lies and hope that she doesn't get caught. But when she meets Elias, things get interesting...

caslater83 | Nov 12, 2016 |
My first book by MaryLu, and I have to say I am impressed! Once I got started it was difficult to stop reading and quit turning pages. (Well sliding my finger across my Kindle) Since my copy was digital, it did take me longer to read, as I do not really enjoy reading e-books as much as a paperback. But I was not deterred! This book is too exciting to let much get in the way of finding out what happens next.

Charity runs away after her abusive husband is shot. Her brother-in-law, hot on her heels, to catch bring back his brother's murderer. She evades him for a season, by hopping on a ship, then jumping overboard, only to be rescued by a preacher pirate. Rescuing ladies in distress seems to be a common practice for Elias, especially this lady, who time after time, gets herself in the most unbelievable predicaments. Elias can't figure out what is going on with her, except she is definitely independent, stubborn and avoids the touch of a man like the plague.

Charity wants no help from a man, any man, especially not Elias - a preacher, but somehow she cannot seem to avoid finding herself over and over in his debt for saving her life yet again. But she also cannot be honest with him, and neither can she figure him out. Is he a preacher or a pirate, or maybe someone her brother in law has hired to bring her in.

I loved this book! I like MaryLu's style of writing. I enjoyed her humor, as well as her spiritual take on things. This book is about forgiveness, recognizing God's plan for our lives, and a gentle reminder that God is always with us, even when we can't see him. It's about answered prayer, faith and God's power demonstrated in our lives. It's about pride and humility, letting go of what is not our burden to carry, redemption. A must read! I am looking forward to reading another one of MaryLu's books soon!

I was blessed with a copy of this book by the author and Celebrate Lit blogging group in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  AimeeSeasons | Mar 12, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. This is part of a series but you don't need to have read any of the others to enjoy this story. I really liked the characters. This was funny and serious. Charity and Elias were so fun together. Murder is of course wrong but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances such as what happened in this story. There are many wrists and turns and even pirates and storms on the high seas. Keep these books coming. I received an ebook copy of this story from CelebrateLit for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Mar 9, 2016 |
What better way to capture a reader's attention than to start with a BANG! Yes the book grabbed my attention right away as Charity is on a race for her life. Having suffered abuse at the hands of her husband, it was time to flee. Will she be accused of murder? Can she find freedom and redemption ? The story is an adventure on the high seas with a vast amount of characters that are sure to draw readers in to the exciting story. I was excited to be introduced to the charming and dashing Elias who will play an important role in Charity's life.

Elias is a strong character with a big heart and a man of honor. What secrets does he keep hidden from others? Will Chariry learn to trust him when she finds out he is not only able to steer a ship but is also a pastor? The story is such a joy to read with characters that are out to sabotage the ship to those who want freedom and perhaps forgiveness. Can Chariry find her way back to God? I loved Elias and his attraction to Charity. Boy does he have his hands full with her. It seems she changes her feelings like the weather which can change in a blink of an eye. I found myself laughing at Elias as he became exasperated with Charity at times. He allowed that green eyed monster to slip in and found himself jealous which he had never been before. He wants to help Charity but she keeps pulling away. What is she afraid of?

One of my favorite things in the book was something that was so profound it made me think of how many of us are guilty of not realizing we need help and won't ask for it. " People have to know they need help before they ask God for it." There is so much packed in this story that I couldn't put the book down. Not only are there very prominent important people , but we run into pirates and natives with torches wearing loincloths . There is something for everyone in this amazing adventure. I loved the way the story flowed and led characters to redemption, restoration, forgiveness and the unconditional love of God.

I received a digital copy of this book from the author and Celebrate Lit for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Mar 9, 2016 |

From the Winner of 2015's Inspirational Readers Choice Award for The Ransom comes a new romantic adventure!

Suspected of killing her husband, Charity Westcott flees on the first ship out of Portsmouth, England heading for the colonies. Loathing all men after her abusive marriage, she hopes to reunite with her family in Charles Towne, but she ends up in Nassau. When she spots her husband's brother, who is intent on seeing her hang, boarding her ship, she jumps overboard.

Elias Dutton, pirate turned preacher and son of the famous pirate, Rowan Dutton, must get to Barbados as soon as possible. His sister is in danger, and his parents have charged him with her safety. He cannot let them down--again. But after rescuing a madcap woman from the bay, he now finds himself tricked into masquerading as her husband so they both can procure passage to Barbados.

Pirates, storms, shipwreck and betrayal threaten to delay the couple in their journey even as sparks fly between them. With her brother-in-law in fast pursuit, the last thing Charity wants is help from a man, especially a religious one, but she has no choice. After Elias' heart was broken by a sordid woman who nearly ruined his life, he seeks a godly woman pure as the virgin sands of the Caribbean. He believes he has found such a woman in Charity. Until he discovers she is a murderer and is now faced with two choices: letting her go or turning her in to the authorities.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 28 Feb 2016 04:17:29 -0500)

Suspected of killing her husband, Charity Westcott flees on the first ship out of Portsmouth, England, heading for the colonies. Loathing all men after her abusive marriage, she hopes to reunite with her family in Charles Towne but she ends up in Nassau. When she spots her husband's brother, who is intent on seeing her hang, boarding her ship, she jumps overboard. Pirate turned preacher, Elias Dutton, must get to Barbados as soon as possible. His sister is in danger and his parents have charged him with her safety. He cannot let them down again. But after rescuing a madcap woman from the bay, he now finds himself tricked into masquerading as her husband so they can procure passage to Barbados. Pirates, storms, shipwreck and betrayal threaten to delay the couple in their journey even as sparks fly between them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,452,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible