The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone

The Hatching (2017)

by Ezekiel Boone

English (26)  German (1)  All (27)
Delivered at a fast and furious pace, The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone is the first of a three part series about creepy-crawly, voracious flesh-eating spiders. Yes, this book is an arachnophobia terror trip as an ancient breed of spider emerges in various places around the world and causes havoc, chaos and death to millions. Of course the really bad news is that this is only the first book, so the situation is bound to get even worse before the trilogy ends.

The highly readable the story is character driven as the book jumps from place to place and from character to character showing how the terror is overtaking the world. Even though this sounds like a plot-line from a Saturday afternoon creature feature, the author elevates his story by embracing the outlandishness and delivering a piece of apocalyptic fiction that isn’t based on science but rather on one of mankind's basic fears, that of the eight-legged, multi-eyed, hairy predator.

The Hatching is not a book to be read for it’s elegant prose, it is a caricature driven horror story that dishes up a large serving of shivers and fun. Personally I hate spiders and reading about them made me itch all over, but as horror stories go this one was okay but I will take marks off because the ending was an absolute cliff-hanger. Will I continue with this trilogy? You know, I probably will. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | May 10, 2018 |
Waivering between 4 and 5 stats.

This reminded me a lot of [b:The Strain|6065215|The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1)|Guillermo del Toro|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1326225354s/6065215.jpg|6241525], but instead of vampires, the world is forced to deal with spiders.

Huge, aggressive, hunting-in-packs spiders.

**shudder** ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
Let's be clear here people. You are only going to want to read this book if you are looking for a gross, scary, end of the world story starring man eating spiders.

Check reality at the door and read for a fast moving terror ride. I enjoyed the hell out of this book. It delivered on the promise it made from the first few pages. It totally creeped me out and left me enthusiastically waiting for the next in the series. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Loved it!

A very imaginitive thriller. Ezekiel Boone does an excellent job of characterization and building suspense. I'm really looking forward to the next book. ( )
  BenjaminThomas | Mar 16, 2018 |
This was an excellent book! I have had this book sitting on my kindle for the past year and a half and have no idea why I am just now reading it. It really is as good as I heard. Maybe better. It was one of those books that I didn't want to set aside because I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. I am just glad that I finally decided to read this book.

This story was told a little differently. Each chapter focuses on a different character or set of characters. Readers do get to see these characters at various parts of the books and sometimes their stories overlap but the focus of this book stays on the spiders. Don't get me wrong, I did feel like I knew the key characters in this story by the end of the book. I really liked how each chapter was like another piece of an overall puzzle.

So this book is about spiders but not your everyday run of the mill spider. This book is about killer spiders, lots of killer spiders. These are spiders unlike anything the world has ever seen. They can kill with remarkable speed and are driven to do so. When a nuclear bomb is detonated in China, officials initially believe it is an accident but they soon wonder if it was really in response to the spiders.

I was amazed by how realistic everything in this book seemed. I am really not too worried about giants waves of man eating spiders but I thought that the reactions to an extreme emergency felt genuine. I thought that the government's response to the situation wasn't outside the realm of possibility if there was a threat on this kind of level. I liked how this book really let the reader into the heads of people on all sides of the situation.

I would highly recommend this book. I think that this was an incredibly entertaining book with a whole lot of excitement. I am really excited to continue on with this series because I need to know what happens next. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jan 28, 2018 |
Für Sara und Sandy
Gern hätte der Wanderführer die amerikanische Gruppe aufgefordert, den Mund zu halten.

An astonishingly inventive and terrifying debut novel about the emergence of an ancient species, dormant for over a thousand years, and now on the march.

Deep in the jungle of Peru, where so much remains unknown, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist whole. Thousands of miles away, an FBI agent investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Kanpur, India earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. During the same week, the Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. As these incidents begin to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at a Washington, D.C. laboratory. Something wants out.

The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake.

"The first in a horror trilogy about an ancient race of carnivorous spiders who emerge from the center of the earth after being dormant for over ten thousand years"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,513,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible