We Eat Our Own: A Novel by Kea Wilson

We Eat Our Own: A Novel

by Kea Wilson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of this book as a free advance review audiobook and have chosen of my own free will to post a review. I found this book to be very boring and a waste of my time to listen to. The author skips around a great deal. The story doesn’t make sense and is very hard to follow. ( )
  iadam | Jun 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is an absolute mess. Did not like it at all. It was hard to keep plots and subplots straight. The frequent change of tense and POV was jolting. It wasn't until after the completion of the audiobook that I learned that the story was based on fact. I don't think that knowledge would have helped. Even the competent and talented narrator couldn't save this one for me.

Thanks for LT's Early Reviewers program for the audiobook. Unfortunately, they can't all be winners. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Feb 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book just was not interesting enough. I kept stopping and trying to go back and finish but was unable to. ( )
  Lainie911 | Jan 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a really hard time finishing this book. I disliked the writting and it was just no interesting. ( )
  rachelep | Jan 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It is a humid, strange and remote jungle town in South America that a struggling actor is called to in order to replace an actor who has quit for the filming of a movie set in the Amazon. The town is in an area that is surrounded by gang fighting, guerrilla factions and the drug cartel control and infighting. Accidents, interpersonal tensions and personal struggles haunts the other actors and crew on the film.

This was a difficult audio book for me to listen to and I stopped it many times and I am an avid audio book listener as well as reader. The book is not only about filming a horror film but depicts the horrors and layers of emotions and feelings that each person has. Because it was not the type of story that I usually read or enjoy, my review may be a bit too harsh. I give it a 2.5 star review. I did not like the story line or writing in this book however it might be a good read for those who enjoy a somewhat cannibalistic and violent horror story. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Jan 23, 2017 |

"An ambitious debut novel by an original young writer, We Eat Our Own blurs the lines between life and art with the story of a film director's unthinkable experiment in the Amazon. When a nameless, struggling actor in 1970s New York gets the call that an enigmatic director wants him for an art film set in the Amazon, he doesn't hesitate: he flies to South America, no questions asked. He quickly realizes he's made a mistake. He's replacing another actor who quit after seeing the script -- a script the director now claims doesn't exist. The movie is over budget. The production team seems headed for a breakdown. The air is so wet that the celluloid film disintegrates. But what the actor doesn't realize is that the greatest threat might be the town itself, and the mysterious shadow economy that powers this remote jungle outpost. Entrepreneurial Americans, international drug traffickers, and M-19 guerillas are all fighting for South America's future--and the groups aren't as distinct as you might think. The actor thought this would be a role that would change his life. Now he's worried if he'll survive it. Inspired by a true story from the annals of 1970s Italian horror film, and told in dazzlingly precise prose, We Eat Our Own is a resounding literary debut, a thrilling journey behind the scenes of a shocking film and a thoughtful commentary on violence and its repercussions"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kea Wilson's book We Eat Our Own was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible