Octopus: Octavius Guy and the Case of the…

Octopus: Octavius Guy and the Case of the Throttled Tragedienne (Send for…

by Michael Gallagher

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In short, this book is wonderful! The story of Octavius, or Octopus, his younger brother, his friend Bertha/Bertram, and the mystery of who killed his friend was such a delightful romp through the streets of 1850s London. The characters are fantastic, they feel real, and the whole book just sucks you in from the first word. Everything about this book feels real, actually, and I had to keep reminding myself not to google for photographs of the characters. This was such a surprising read, not only in the excellency of the story and story-telling, but also in who the actual murderer was. One of my favorite books this year, hands down. And I've already purchased the rest of the author's catalog, something that rarely happens for me. Thank you so very much to LT, the LTER program, and to the author and publisher for the outstanding gift that was this book! ( )
  LauraBrook | Jul 29, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An historical fiction detective story taking place in 1850's London. The main character is a 14 year old, who has become the kingpin of the criminal underworld, but also works as an investigator for a lawyer. Had me hooked from the start. Great story and easy to read. Thank you Michael Gallagher and LibraryThing. 4 1/2 stars. ( )
  tatumjt | Jun 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Surprisingly good, despite the fact that the PI, Gooseberry, is only 14. I will read the others in the series. ( )
  shorn | May 26, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very amusing book about Octavius Guy, a fourteen year old boy in the Victorian age who is a detective. His newest investigation is about the murder of the leading actress on stage during a performance of "The Duchess of Malfi" at the Sadler's Wells Theatre. I liked it.
Bigger review (in Dutch) on http://alimolenaar.nl/stukjes/theater-en-romans-octopus/ ( )
  Alyssia | May 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
revived this books as an early review. overall was a good story. had problems with the cockney type language. made this a slow read for me.
  Debbie-Lujan | Apr 27, 2016 |
The apron stage at Sadler’s Wells is a large one; it extends well beyond the theatre’s proscenium arch, which marks the traditional boundary to any normal stage.

Gooseberry, the fourteen-year-old Victorian boy detective, is having his fair share of problems. Not only must he juggle the task of being Mr Bruff’s newly-appointed chief investigator with the unwanted responsibility of managing London’s entire criminal underclass, he also has to decide whether a drunken wretch of a man—who turns up on his doorstep claiming to be his father—is who he says he is. But when the leading actress dies in mysterious circumstances on stage during a performance of The Duchess of Malfi at the Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Gooseberry feels duty-bound to investigate. It is, after all, a great deal more exciting than the last case he was assigned to: the tracking down of a rich old lady’s errant cat! A revenge tragedy (of sorts) in (roughly) three acts.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michael Gallagher's book Octopus was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Michael Gallagher is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,498,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible