Stick Cat: A Tail of Two Kitties by Tom…

Stick Cat: A Tail of Two Kitties

by Tom Watson

411279,442 (4)None

Usually I have no issue recommending books I haven't read. I've been recommending Stick Dog for years without having cracked one open. However, having finally picked up and read a title, due to an emergency lack of books during lunch (yes, I do work in a library) I have to admit that I have been recommending these all wrong.

Stick Cat is the start of a new series (although the author assures us that Stick Dog will continue) and features, wait for it, Stick Cat. The "author" of the books purports to be a kid, who happens to have a crush on a girl, who happens to like cats, and who happened to request a cat story. Hence, Stick Cat. In this first book we are introduced to Stick Cat and his friend Edith. They play exciting games that involve staring at each other, sleeping, and listening to Edith go off on weird tangents. They also enjoy listening to a piano tuner in the next building over play music. But when there's a nasty accident, can Stick Cat and Edith work together to save the day?

The book is a typical notebook novel, with hand-drawn sketches of cats, people, and other doodles and printed on a faux-notebook paper.

I found it unutterably boring. I am being truly honest here. I did not understand how kids think this is funny and I found Stick Cat's attitude towards Edith (and Edith's character) rather stereotypical as well. But you know what? I am not the audience for this book. And this is where I've been making a mistake - I've been recommending it as a read-alike for Wimpy Kid, which it is, but it's also much, much younger than I realized. I should have been recommending this to kids who aren't ready for Wimpy Kid yet.

Verdict: Despite my own disinterest, this series is perfect for younger kids who enjoy silly humor and easier chapter books and older readers who just want something to relax with for a little while. Recommended.

ISBN: 9780062411006; Published 2017 by Harper; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jun 4, 2016 |

There’s a new pet in town: Stick Cat! Perfect for fans of Big Nate, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and the Stick Dog books, Stick Cat features Tom Watson’s trademark combination of laughs, adventure, and hilarious stick-figure drawings.

It’s a big day in the big city for Stick Cat and his best friend, Edith. There are treasures to hunt, songs to sing, pigeons to catch, and naps to take. But way up on the twenty-third floor, danger lurks just around the corner. Terrible noises and violent crashes trap a desperate man in the building across the alley. Stick Cat will need to navigate his way across the alley—and around Edith’s peculiar ways—to attempt a rescue.

Stick Cat’s high-wire act is sure to please cat lovers and Stick Dog fans everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 21 Feb 2016 00:23:52 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,065,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible