Furious by T.R. Ragan

Furious

by T.R. Ragan

Furious by T.R. Ragan is a very well written book that is nonetheless very difficult to read. I read it some time ago and it appears I forgot to post a review so this will be brief from memory.

The topic of human trafficking, particularly sex trafficking, can be a very emotional subject. In portraying this in every horrible detail Ragan makes it so unsettling that it likely makes some readers look for more information and/or a way to help. I started with a MOOC on the topic myself.

With the warning that the details are graphic and disturbing, I would recommend this to anyone who is willing to read detailed human depravity written in a very suspenseful manner. The book will keep you reading. As a thriller it works very well but as the first part of a series this does have a cliffhanger.

I received this from the publisher through Netgalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Dec 24, 2016 |
This mystery novel of human trafficking is sometimes very hard to read. These things shouldn't happen to anyone, much less a child, and the book does get graphic in spots. There is sexual and physical violence against children.. Still, human trafficking and slavery are still very big problems around the world, and the US has a huge problem, so it doesn't help anyone to pretend it doesn't exist..

This book was entertaining even though the subject matter was dark. I liked some of the offbeat characters, and I liked their loyalty. When I started reading it, I didn't realize this was the first of a trilogy, but it was obvious by the end that it needs a sequel.

The action starts quickly and the plot, for the most part, moves along at a good pace. There are some places where I thought – we already know that – let's move on. Nevertheless, this story both entertained, sometimes painfully, and informed.

I read the Kindle edition through my Kindle Unlimited membership. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Oct 29, 2016 |
Furious is the first book in a new series by the creator of the Lizzy Gardner series. If like me, you loved that series you will devour Furious. It's action-packed and full of characters who will evoke emotions, some you'll love, some you'll hate, some might bring tears to your eyes. All the characters are absolutely terrific. I loved Beast and Rage with their harrowing back-stories as well as Furious'/Faith's close-knit family.
The story focuses on human trafficking and underage sex workers, and as such is hard-hitting and rather horrifying. It is told from multiple perspectives including some of the children involved. It's raw and heartbreaking to read but I thought it was handled in an appropriate manner.
As with other T.R. Ragan books, the plot pulls you in from the first page and won't let you go until you reach the final page. Being the start of a series, there is obviously no conclusion and while there was no huge cliffhanger, having to wait what will seem like an eternity for part 2 is the obvious disadvantage to this.
Nevertheless, this is definitely another winner for T.R. Ragan and another exciting series to follow! I loved it!
Many thanks to Thomas & Mercer and T.R. Ragan for my copy via NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  Pet12 | Mar 22, 2016 |
A special thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

T.R. Ragan returns with her new series following her Lizzy Gardner series, with a kick ass heroine, leaving readers glued to the pages, with some highly charged topics for a suspense crime thriller.

FURIOUS by T.R. Ragan dedicates her new Faith McMann series to the heroes and people who work tirelessly to raise awareness and increase understanding—supplying services and help survivors of human trafficking.

A violation of human rights. Those most affected are children who come from places of instability, abuse, and homelessness, making them easy targets for gangs and traffickers, often forced or manipulated into street prostitution. they are trapped in an endless cycle of poverty and exploitation.

Faith McMann is a fourth-grade teacher in the quiet suburbs of Sacramento. An unspeakable crime. Faith is pregnant. She arrives home to a nightmare. Her husband, Craig is on the floor, bound and gagged. Lara and Hudson are covered in duck tape. Time stops. She has to figure out what to do. Grab a knife or run to get help. Two men. She turned and ran. They want to know where it is. Where what is? This cannot be happening. They grab her.

They murder her husband before her eyes, and kidnap her children. She is suffocating on her own blood. Leaving her for dead, she survives, barely. After being brought out of a drug induced coma, the heartache was numbing. Craig was gone forever and her kids were missing.

The misery and despair touched her very core: blinding, deafening, debilitating. Grief. Slowly she decides her children need her. She is angry and she wants vengeance. She will fight.

She remembered a tattoo on the guy’s neck. In her fight, she uncovers the under belly of human trafficking. A mother who will stop at nothing to try and save her children, when the cops are not doing their best.

Wow, what a perfect name for Faith. Furious, Fearless, and Smart. With highly charged topics, the author takes us on an intense journey to the dark side, of human trafficking, a form of modern-day slavery.

Some edgy and great characters ---A fan of the Lizzy Gardner series (have read them all)-- Faith McCann is an exciting new series with a suspenseful cliffhanger, leaving readers anxiously awaiting the next in the series!

Fans of Karin Slaughter and Chris Bohjalian's The Guest Room will enjoy. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Mar 19, 2016 |

Faith McMann comes home to a nightmare: her husband is killed and her son and daughter are taken. Although the intruders leave her for dead, she survives. Crippling grief and fear for her children make life unbearable. Until her anguish turns to anger--and she trades victimhood for vengeance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,435,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible