The Haunted Heist by Angie Fox

This is another fun entry in the Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries. In this book Verity has an opportunity to work for the Sugarland Bank. She has a meeting with the new Manager, who just happens to be her best friend, Lauralee's uncle. While at the bank waiting for her meeting, there is a murder. The bank manager is shot in the vault, but no one is seen leaving the basement. Verity enlists the help of her ghost, gangster Frankie, to investigate and find the murderer. There is a lot of fun stuff going on in the afterworld in Sugarland. They visit a speakeasy, and engage in a wild car chase through town and cornfields. Fortunately, even though Ellis, her new beau and policeman can not see the ghosts, he knows they are there and saves Verity from a ghostly death. With a showdown in the cemetery, the book comes to its conclusion. I sort of had it figured out, but not completely. This is a fun read with some twists, some romance, and loyalty amongst friends that make it a great cozy series. Now on to the next one, Deader Homes and Gardens. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Oct 28, 2016 |
I have read the two earlier books in this series, and enjoyed them tremendously, but this one, though also good, was just not as fun to read as those were. In this one, Verity has finally landed a solid job offer from best friend Lauralee’s uncle, who has just taken over First Sugarland Bank. However, things quickly turn from good to bad in Verity’s life and job prospect, as she is thrust in the middle of a murder at the bank while she is interviewing for the job. Only with the help of her erstwhile pal gangster ghost Frankie, does she solve the murder, so everyone can get on with life (except Frankie, that is). Nevertheless, Verity is left as she was, with no job and few prospects for one.

This book, as I said, was good but just did not have what the other two did. I wondered whether it is time for Frankie to find his dirt and move along while still managing to help Verity out whenever necessary, if Verity might somehow manage to keep on, with his help, solving other, different crimes--whether the story needs a good rehab to continue to delight as much as the first two books did because there is just a limited amount of humor, enjoyment and mystery in the current scenario, at least as seen in this book. True, the characters are all there: Frankie, with his ever present gangster humor and supernatural help, Lucy, the lovable but unique pet skunk, loyal, best friend Lauralee. The characters were as good in the other books, but the story just left me flat. I did not find the cozy humor or charm I found in the other books. It is a good read, just not a great one. The book will appeal to fans of the author or the series or to any mystery lover looking for a different twist on things. I received this from NetGalley to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Jul 21, 2016 |
I cannot get enough of this series! The author weaves a fun tale with humor. The characters, both living and dead, are quirky and at times apt to go 'poltergeist.' Watching, and I do mean watching because the author makes me feel as if I am right there, Verity get into scrapes that only Frankie can get her out of makes a great read! ( )
  wearylibrarian | May 14, 2016 |
Glad that Verity & Ellis have made their relationship known and that Verity is “out” as a ghost hunter. ( )
  junco1312 | May 12, 2016 |
Gang Is All Here Again For The Latest Mystery and Murder
Verity And Company Are In The Middle Once Again

STORY LINE:
Verity Long is still trying to release ghost gangster Frankie, Ellis is still her sometimes boyfriend, Ellis' mother is still making Verity's life miserable, and Verity still doesn't have a job. Could things get any worse? Yes! Reggie Thompson, the most powerful man in Sugarland and Sugarland's banker, is murdered in the bank vault after offering Verity a graphic design job.

The bank has ghosts; did the ghost kill the Reggie? What are the noises the employees have heard coming from the basement and vault area? Of course Verity is in the thick of things as usual, along with Ellis, Frankie, and an assortment of ghostly characters.

Come along for another funny, action packed escapade as Verity and company solve the latest murder mystery in Sugarland. Oh, by the way, Sugarland is full of ghost; all sorts and sizes and I don't mean a few ghosts.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, AND DEVELOPMENT:
Author Angie Fox kept the suspense level high in this book as she did not reveal the identity of the culprit until the end of the book. Ms. Fox had several suspects incorporated into the story, including the resident ghosts, and I did not guess the identity correctly. What a surprise when I learned who was the villain. Author Angie Fox always adds humor and this story is very funny at times; it is full of southern wit and charm.

The action in this book was fast and furious with: a shoot out between Verity, Ellis and the long dead gangsters at a speakeasy and --------well you will have to read the book. There is a surprise at the ending of the book. Ms. Foxe was in top form; it was all so exciting; the descriptions were so vivid, I could see the it all in my minds eye.

Ms. Fox's plot was skillfully developed and the pacing was at the standard we have come to know and expect from her; this book is crafted in her usual skillful style of story-telling.

Ms. Fox had many threads in this story and she skillfully wove all those threads together to create a relaxing fun read. I loved her look into southern small town USA as she depicts it so realistically.

RECOMMENDATION:
This book was crafted at Ms. Fox usual high standards of skill in story-telling; filled with laughter, mystery and murder. I enjoyed another visit with Verity, the resident ghosts, and the gang very much. I look forward to the next installment in small town Sugarland. Anyone that likes a solid well-written book will enjoy this story from the talented pen of Angie Fox. This is a standalone book.

I received this book from Netgalley in return for an honest book review.

Books reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion; book reviews on line under my name are my opinion. ( )
  vera_mallard | Mar 30, 2016 |
From the opening skunk bath to the sweet and hope filled ending, Angie Fox has done it again.
This latest in her The Southern Ghost Hunter Mystery is a wonderfully engaging story. Written cleverly, I didn't know who did it until the end, was a book hard to put down.
No graphic sexual or violent content, I would even say this is a wonderful read for teens, would have no problem letting my 14 year old granddaughter read it.
I find myself routing for all the characters to find their happily ever afters. But then again I don't want the story to end.
I can not wait for book #4, to see what is next for Verity, Ellis, Frankie and Lucy. Maybe a wedding???
added by LoriCrumMiller | editEarly Review Copy, Lori Miller (Mar 17, 2016)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible