The Prayer Rug by H. M. Hymas

The Prayer Rug

by H. M. Hymas

322,001,085 (5)None

A deeply moving story about Reem, a devout Sunni mother who suffers through the early American occupation of Iraq. Society is fractured and neighborhoods become religiously restrictive and hostile. One by one, she loses the members of her family yet daily she holds to the comfort of daily prayer and her prayer rug as the Koran commands. Although the account is fictional it rings true to the factual events of the downfall of Saddam and the corruption and violence of war.

I was given an electronic copy in return for an honest review. ( )
  mcdenis | Mar 13, 2016 |
This is war. I believe that this book could really help open peoples eyes to Islam. It is not a religion of terrorists, it is a religion of peace, and Reem desperately tries to impart these teaching to her children despite the devastation raging around them. It may help you to understand how people are recruited into these fanatical plots, how friends become enemies and how children with no education can ruin an entire generation.

This was not an easy book to read. I found myself detaching from pieces of it so I wouldn't get sucked under by the grief and helplessness of it, but its an important book because it puts a human face on war. ( )
  ReadingGrrl | Feb 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,194,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible