A Scandal In Scarborough: The First Paget…

A Scandal In Scarborough: The First Paget Brothers Mystery

by Stuart Fortey

851,035,133 (3.58)None

I'm more in the camp of imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I feel that this might not the best imitation. The tome of a story is very dense and I lost interest very quickly. A good hard revise would be useful! ( )
  kristincedar | Jul 31, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book and the nod to Holmes without trying too hard to be Holmes. The plot keeps you guessing and the back and forth between the brothers is quite fun. Well written and fun to read, I look forward to more from the Paget Brothers. ( )
  Mrs.Kaiser | Jul 6, 2016 |
What a perfect nostalgic read! Agatha Christie Tommy-and-Tuppence-style meets Arthur Conan Doyle Holmes-and-Watson-characters.

The Paget brothers by chance investigating a missing person in 1899 Scarborough provide the Holmes-Watson dichotomy and a dress and artistic link to the Sherlock Holmes stories.

The detection plot and light character development are perfectly in line with a typical Golden Age whodunit. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Apr 16, 2016 |
Really enjoyed this book about a wannabe Sherlock Holmes. I loved the interplay between the brothers and the Victorian setting The plot had me guessing as I just could not work out why things were happening. Looking forward to reading more in this series and any others by this author. ( )
  scot2 | Apr 10, 2016 |
What an intriguing story!
Set in the Victorian era, it is a story about a lady called Miss Meakin whose fiance Thomas has seemingly disappeared without a trace.
Two brothers Walter (who has delusions of Sherlock Holmes) and Sidney Paget, both illustrators for The Strand magazine (hence the Holmes analogy), get involved in searching for him.
A great old fashioned story worthy of the great detective himself!
Very highly recommended.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher David Publish in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Apr 4, 2016 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Stuart Fortey's book A Scandal In Scarborough: The First Paget Brothers Mystery was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Stuart Fortey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible