Pico's Crush: Central Galactic…

Pico's Crush: Central Galactic Concordance, Book 3

by Carol Van Natta

511,436,638 (5)None

Well, hello Science Fiction Romance fans! Are you in for a captivating treat with Carol van Natta's latest book in her Central Galactic Concordance series! Pico's Crush is by far my favourite of the series so far, having however enjoyed the previous books immensely. A teensy note of caution about that: Pico's Crush can most definitely be read as a stand-alone story, but amazeballs will truly glitter and glow if the previous stories are read first. The enjoyment factor will shoot off the scale if you do, I promise. At the very least, you'll feel compelled to read them afterwards because the characters are just so appealing and the writing is so kick-ass good. In the meantime, though, although the author has done a great job of explaining the unique terminology in her world, some terms may still be a little puzzling to those who have yet to read the earlier stories.

The story gets off to what may appear to be a slowish start, but this is in no way off-putting because we are granted the gift of getting to know about some of the main characters and their lives on a wondrous watery paradise that is home to a floating university, where the usual student activities are taken down a rather more "creative" path. The landscape is brilliantly realised and can be effortlessly imagined due to the author's highly descriptive narrative. What an amazing planet Nila Marbela is!

Well, it is until events escalate into violence and destructive chaos! Opposing forces, each with their own agendas, clash and bring with them some exciting and unrelenting edge-of-the-seat action that drew me in from start to finish.Nothing was predicable and the plot was propelled forward not only by unique and fresh situations but also clever and at times amusing dialogue.

What I really enjoyed was that we get to once again meet some of the marvelously engaging characters from the previous books, seamlessly brought together with some equally appealing new characters to form a heartening assemblage of people I'd love to have as friends. This combination made me feel all warm and fuzzy because their connection with one another just clicked into place so well and they became one. United we stand! This for me is what SFR is all about - a foundation of strong, enduring friendships, new and old. But, yes, romance lovers (including me!), don't worry, there are perfectly proportioned romantic ingredients in there too, and very satisfying happy endings! I really liked the slower buildup to "hot-connects", rather than the lust at first sight approach.

The addition of some most sinister and enigmatic elements to the story leaves some unsavoury but nevertheless enticing loose ends, sure to pique the curiosity of readers who join the Central Galactic Concordance journey.

I'm genuinely excited about the SFR treasure trove the rest of the series promises to be. Five supernova stars. ( )
  OzMerry | Jan 28, 2018 |

Carol Van Natta is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,308,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible