Some Writer!: The Story of E. B. White by…

Some Writer!: The Story of E. B. White

by Melissa Sweet

Up til this point, I could most likely count the number of biographies written for children that I've read. Actually I could probably count how many biographies in total I've ever read because I have to admit biographies in general not my favorite genre. However, there are always exceptions and every now and again there are people who I find intriguing enough to seek out more information about them. Last year I read My Ears Are Bent which included different excerpts from The New Yorker along with background on the magazine itself. I discovered from this book just how much of the writing was done by E.B. White. (You might recognize him from such things as Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web.) This piqued my interest in White but I had so many other things on my TRL that I somewhat forgot about him until I saw Some Writer!: The Story of E.B. White by Melissa Sweet pop up as a recommended read. I think E.B. White would have heartily approved of this biography even though he was an intensely private, low-key individual. This book delivered not only on giving me the biography that I was looking for but also offering up beautiful mixed media layouts which make it more accessible to children. His approach to writing and his proliferation of works is fascinating and astonishing. Sweet manages to educate the reader about his works but she also manages to paint a portrait of a writer that was passionate about his craft, his family, and his farm. She does this almost from the start. This book is great if you want to learn more about E.B. White yourself or if you want to introduce your kids to biographies. It's easily accessible and the layout is beautiful. Quick, fun read that I'd recommend for reluctant biography readers (like myself). 10/10 ( )
  AliceaP | Aug 11, 2017 |
Melissa Sweet mixes personal letters, and photos with her own outstanding artwork to tell the story of E.B. White.
  joshkraght | Jun 9, 2017 |
This is a biography talking about the life and works of E. B White. The story takes you through the events that take place during his life and how they coincide and influenced the books that he wrote. This book demonstrated a good plot line involving the different elements of his life in addition to details of his works with a good exposition. It was engaging to read informational material in a story format. ( )
  canderson15 | Apr 29, 2017 |
This book contains the life of E.B. White. The author used White's personal letters, pictures, and other artifacts to create a timeline of his life. It also included an afterward from his granddaughter.
  kathleenkarakey | Apr 17, 2017 |
This book tells the story of E.B. White the writer of the iconic Charlotte's Web. both original artwork and E.B. White memorabilia are joined to share his life story. It tells of how as a young person he put some of his writing in magazines and won awards for a number of studies. Included in the book are handwritten manuscripts and letters by E.B. White. It is great for students to see the raw process that goes into creating draft after draft.
Genre - Orbis Pictus List.
  nicoleconduff | Mar 20, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0544319591, Hardcover)

“SOME PIG,” Charlotte the spider’s praise for Wilbur, is just one fondly remembered snippet from E. B. White’s Charlotte’s Web. In Some Writer!, the two-time Caldecott Honor winner Melissa Sweet mixes White’s personal letters, photos, and family ephemera with her own exquisite artwork to tell his story, from his birth in 1899 to his death in 1985. Budding young writers will be fascinated and inspired by the journalist, New Yorker contributor, and children’s book author who loved words his whole life. This authorized tribute is the first fully illustrated biography of E. B. White and includes an afterword by Martha White, E. B. White's granddaughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 27 Feb 2016 03:16:13 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,948,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible