The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles by Michelle…

The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles

by Michelle Cuevas

Other authors: Erin E. Stead (Illustrator)

A man whose job is to collect bottles with messages in them from the ocean and deliver them to their recipients only wants a message of his own. It's a story about friends you didn't even know you had. ( )
  alan.greenwald | Aug 30, 2017 |
Sometimes you find stories that really just take you on a trip, and this is one of them. Through the subtle words, and beautiful pastel illustrations. I read this book, and as I read it I thought of wha a wonderful book it would be for me to read in my classroom when my kids aren't having the best day. ( )
  danimeineke | Nov 23, 2016 |
I love Stead's luscious art paired with Cuevas's quietly satisfying story. Stead paints vivid expressions on both humans and animals: the joy of the woman with the gramophone and the inviting, uptilted stare of the skimmer. Cuevas's words are startlingly fresh and beautiful: "... he felt loneliness as sharp as fish scales." and "Sometimes the messages were written by a quill dipped in sadness." and "... for a letter can hold the treasure of a clam-hugged pearl." I love that the Uncorker brings "a handful of his favorite seashells" to the party because "He thought it might be rude to show up uninvited and empty-handed." I like to bring gifts of nature to friends and family. My one small complaint is that I feel the story might have been more powerful to end on the page that reads "The Unncorker's heart was a glass vessel filled to the brim." The final sentences about him eating cake seemed too flippant for the tone of the story. But perhaps I'm not understanding the end. I may need to read the book over a few more times. Still, the images and word choice are lovely and redeeming. ( )
  bookwren | Nov 3, 2016 |
beautifully done - ( )
  melodyreads | Oct 13, 2016 |
The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles lived a quiet and solitary life beside the sea, opening bottles and delivering the messages contained therein. His wish for a letter of his own seemed destined to go unfulfilled, until an invitation to a seaside party arrived with no name attached. In the process of trying to determine to whom he should deliver the invitation, the Uncorker ended up alerting the entire village to the theoretical party. When said villagers decided to attend, the party, which until that point existed only in the words of the anonymous invitation, became a reality on the shore near the Uncorker's home...

A lovely book, one which pairs a gentle, heartfelt tale with absolutely gorgeous illustrations, The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles is a title that rewards a slow, leisurely reading. I enjoyed the story, and appreciated the way in which the Uncorker finds a way to finally connect with the community he had long been serving. But it was Erin Stead's artwork, done in woodblock prints, oil pastels and pencils, that really stole the show, and made this a four-star book for me. The palette is subtle but immensely appealing, with beautiful yellow and blue/greens predominating. The figures are a bit quirky, and quite expressive - I think my favorite was the Uncorker's cat! Recommended to fans of Stead's work, and to anyone looking for sweet seaside stories for younger children. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Aug 23, 2016 |

Michelle Cuevasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stead, Erin E.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For the Ocean Bottle Senders and Ocean Bottle Seekers: Try. Want. Wish. Tell. -M.C.
For my Mom -E.E.S.
The uncorker of ocean bottles lived alone on a high spot with only one tree for shade.
Sometimes to deliver a bottle, he needed only to stroll to the nearest village. Other times, he would journey until his compass became rusty and he felt loneliness as sharp as fish scales.
The Uncorker's heart was a glass vessel filled to the brim.

A message in a bottle holds the promise of surprise and wonder, as told in this enthralling picture book by Caldecott Medalist Erin E. Stead

The Uncorker of Ocean Bottles, who lives alone atop a hill, has a job of the utmost importance. It is his task to open any bottles found at sea and make sure that the messages are delivered. He loves his job, though he has always wished that, someday, one of the letters would be addressed to him. One day he opens a party invitation—but there’s no name attached. As he devotes himself to the mystery of the intended recipient, he ends up finding something even more special: the possibility of new friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 16 Mar 2016 14:00:12 -0400)

"The whimsical story a man who has spent his life delivering the messages found in ocean bottles and the day he receives a message that turns out to be a party invitation"--

Michelle Cuevas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible