The Night Screams by Devon McCormack

The Night Screams

by Devon McCormack

421,664,912 (2.75)None

To be totally clear: I read the book until the halfway mark, said "fuck this bullshit," and just skimmed the rest of it before tossing it in the "why did I bother wasting my money on this" ebook heap.

Cal is a seventeen year old gay male who was kicked out of his house by his religious parents when he was fifteen. He was later abducted by a male, kept chained in a basement, and raped and beaten regularly. He manages to escape his abductor and, while trying to steal some food from a store, is tackled by Jake, another young adult. Rather inexplicably, Jake's guardians decide to take Cal into their home. And then Cal finds himself falling for Jake.

I never felt like Cal's trauma was given adequate treatment. He's mute when is first found, although he's able to write things down as a way to communicate. But then he needs his voice, so he just regains it back without any regression at all. Cal does go to a therapist a couple of times, but he's just magically healed of all of the trauma in those few visits, so the therapist fades off the page. Cal has a couple of false starts when it comes to an instalove relationship with Jake, but nothing what I would expect. And Cal's more concerned about Jake touching his ex-boyfriend than, well, anything else. It was just ridiculous drama that didn't feel like it made any sense. I am not saying that victims of rape and trauma can't have healthy relationships - although some of us, it appears, are pretty much incapable (I think that is me, haha) - but Cal is on a bullet train straight into instalove in this book. I feel like Cal never had a chance to process what exactly happened to him - and it wasn't just the abduction, but what his parents also did to him by throwing him out of the house. Cal's needs feel like they take a backseat to Jake.

The writing style never appealed to me, either, and I really wish that I had read a chapter or two as a preview before buying this book, because I never would have purchased it.

Meh. My first DNF of 2017! ( )
  schatzi | Jan 28, 2017 |
The Night Screams by Devon McCormack
5 stars
This an intense story that is acceptable for older teens and young adults. The author does a great job of handling the negative or less than positive reactions gay teens may receive when coming out or being outed. Both main characters have had bad life experiences but one escaped that when he went to live with his aunt and uncle. He remains a very black and white thinker through much of the book. The other MC is more able to see the shades of gray that make up life. This allows the author to demonstrate the willingness of some to learn to be more acccepting and openminded.
Though it is not graphic in discussing the violence that Cal survives the author is able to paint a word picture that makes the reader feel the fear. This book has a very astute handing of the messages. These two young men are survivors. I would be a bit hesitant about recommending this book to younger teens just because of the many bad things that happen both before and during this book. There is very lttle bad language . This is more than just a coming of age story it is a coming to life story.
I received this book free in exchange for an honest and fair review from the publisher on netgalley.com. ( )
  Gina.Marie.Pettitt | Jul 21, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,124,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible