Looking for Life in the Universe by Ellen…

Looking for Life in the Universe

by Ellen Jackson

This book explains how scientists are exploring space looking for other life forms. It is very interesting and it may encourage students to explore space. ( )
  afussell | Nov 27, 2013 |
Looking For Life In The Universe: The Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence written by Ellen Jackson is a Scientist in the field series book that explores the lived experiences of Jill Tarter an astrophysicists at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California. This story narrative begins with a detailed account of the responsibilities of astrophysicists. Chapter three provides a brief biography of Tartar. The biography is organized in chronological order and focuses on Tarter’s relationship with her father and the love of science he shared with his daughter. Unlike the women in Stone’s Almost Astronauts, Tarter love for space was supported by her father as well as fellow male astrophysicists. Although, I did not read this book to my kindergarten class, I did, however, discuss astronomy with my students and I used this book as a reference to discuss the job responsibilities of an astrophysicists with my students. ( )
  penny.johnsonward | Apr 8, 2013 |
I learned a lot from this book about how scientists try to find signs of life in the universe. There are all kinds of technology they use and tests that the scientists’ do it really is amazing. The scientist they followed was also the inspiration for the movie 'Contact'. ( )
  atlomas | Mar 22, 2012 |
Is there life in outer space? Jill Tarter has made it her life's work to find out. This book examines Jill's work with the SETI Institute, an organization that searches for extraterrestrial life. Using powerful computers and massive telescopes, SETI examines radio signals to determine if any of them might come from other planets or stars in space. Jill Tarter thinks there's a great possibility of extraterrestrial life because of the enormous number of stars in our galaxy and other galaxies. Although they haven't yet found any promising signals, who knows what advances in technology will bring? An interesting book for those interested in space. ( )
  abbylibrarian | Mar 21, 2008 |

Human beings have always looked at the heavens and asked: Are we alone? Is there life elsewhere in the universe? What is that life like? Unfortunately, people can’t actually travel to other solar systems. Even the closest stars are too far away to visit.
Today, astrophysicists such as Jill Tarter are looking for other ways to search for extraterrestrial life. Jill is the director of Project Phoenix at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California. SETI stands for “Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.” Twice a year, Jill and her team travel to the mountains of Puerto Rico where they use the world’s largest radio telescope to examine nearby stars. They search the sky, listening for radio signals that, if found and verified, would provide strong evidence that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe.

Author Ellen Jackson and photographer Nic Bishop introduce us to a dedicated scientist and her thrilling, rigorous, and awe-inspiring work in the field.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:33 -0400)

Investigates how scientists, particularly Jill Tarter, Director of the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California, use twenty-first century technology to investigate whether life exists on other planets.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,062,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible