Love Medicine: Newly Revised Edition (P.S.)…

Love Medicine: Newly Revised Edition (P.S.) (original 1984; edition 2009)

by Louise Erdrich

Member:ashbrau
Title:Love Medicine: Newly Revised Edition (P.S.)
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 400 pages

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich (1984)

English (42)  Danish (1)  All languages (43)
Love Medicine is a complicated but brilliantly compelling series of short stories that weave together the saga of the Kashpaws and the Lamartines. The characters are fascinating and solidly drawn, easily becoming real for the reader. Although some readers may find the stories wildly disorganized, taken separately or on the whole, I loved them. Louise Erdrich has a powerful voice and point-of-view, and if you can manage to just absorb her words, you too will fall in love with her style and writing. ( )
  susanbevans | Jul 1, 2014 |
native american
  timelord1 | May 9, 2014 |
Less a traditional novel than a series of vignettes in the lives of several generations of Native Americans living on a Chippewa reservation on the high plains. In some ways, this is a fine book. This one is Erdrich's first novel, but you wouldn't know it: her prose is confident, polished, and decidedly literary and her characters are well formed. She comes up with more a couple of memorable characters -- my personal favorite was dreamy, lost Lipsha Morrisey -- though I felt that some of her older female characters occasionally drifted toward cliché. The book's also got a strong sense of place -- Erdrich's good at capturing the harshness and emptiness of the badlands. Erdrich never lets the reader forget that these characters all share a hard life in a hard place.

And that's the problem that I've got with "Love Medicine," really. I don't usually understand it when readers complain that a book is "too depressing:" sadness is where literature comes from, after all. But this one tested my patience. Erdrich presents modern Native American life as a nearly continuous series of tragedies, a continual downward slide. I don't know if this was her intention, but it bogs the book down considerably. Erdrich's style may be impressive, but I sometimes felt that its decidedly deliberate pacing and its literary diction didn't do her subject matter any favors. It's well-composed and well-constructed, but somehow inert. "Love Medicine" sometimes feels like the novelistic equivalent of a black-on-black painting. Too much. Despite its obvious strengths, I struggled to finish this one. ( )
1 vote TheAmpersand | Mar 28, 2014 |
Harper Perennial edition ( )
  yakyakimporttest2 | Feb 5, 2014 |
Harper Perennial edition ( )
  yakyakdonttalkback | Feb 5, 2014 |
''Love Medicine'' is an engrossing book. With this impressive debut Louise Erdrich enters the company of America's better novelists, and I'm certain readers will want to see more from this imaginative and accomplished young writer

There are at least a dozen of the many vividly drawn people in this first novel who will not leave the mind once they are let in. Their power comes from Louise Erdrich's mastery of words. Nobody really talks the way they do, but the language of each convinces you you have heard them speaking all your life, and that illusion draws you quickly into their world, a place of poor shacks stuck amid the wrecks of old cars and other junk made beautiful in Miss Erdrich's evocation.

Grandma Mary Gourneau, Gertrude Crow Dog and my brothers Mark, Louis, Terry (Amikoos), and Raoul, and my friend Earl Livermore were some people especially in my thoughts as I wrote this book. I could not have written it this way without Michael Dorris, who gave his own ideas, experiences, and devoted attention to the writing. This book is dedicated to him because he is so much a part of it.
Grandma Mary Gourneau, Gertrude Crow Dog, and by brothers Mark, Louis, Tery (Amikoos), and Raoul, and my friend Earl Livermore were some people especially in my thoughts as I wrote this book. I could not have written it this way without Michael Dorris, who gave his own ideas, experiences,m and devoted attention to the writing. This book is dedicated to him because he is so much a part of it.
The morning before Easter Sunday, June Kapshaw was walking down the clogged main street of oil boomtown Williston, North Dakota, killing time before the noon bus arrived that would take her home.
The morning before Easter Sunday, June Kashpaw was walking down the clogged main street of the oil boomtown Williston, North Dakota, killing time before the noon bus arrived that would take her home.

The stunning first novel in Louise Erdrich's Native American series, Love Medicine tells the story of two families -- the Kashpaws and the Lamartines. Written in Erdrich's uniquely poetic, powerful style, it is a multigenerational portrait of strong men and women caught in an unforgettable drama of anger, desire, and the healing power that is love medicine.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:46 -0400)

The lives and destinies of the Kashpaws and the Lamartines intertwine on and around a North Dakota Indian reservation from 1934 to 1984, in an authentic tale of survival, tenacity, tradition, injustice, and love.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible