Star Trek: First Contact by J. M. Dillard

Until quite recently, I was very much a Star Trek: The Original Series kinda gal. I never investigated the other realms of the Trek universe and I had no real desire to...and then Netflix recommended I watch Star Trek: The Next Generation. After that it was kind of a given that I was going to fall head over heels in love with that particular cast of characters. (If you're wondering, I'm torn between Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Data as my favorite.) This of course meant that I had never really explored the literature of ST unless it revolved around my boys Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. My first foray into worlds unknown was the movie tie-in for First Contact by J.M. Dillard. I'm going to be up front and tell you that I still haven't seen this film but I'm going to be rectifying this at my earliest opportunity. This book features the ST:TNG cast as they come face-to-face with their old enemies the Borg Collective. dun dun DUN There's a time travel element to this book which I found a bit squidgy but honestly anytime Trek goes down the time travel route it's questionably done. They're not going back to just any era, however. They end up going back to the time of Zefram Cochrane and to Earth's first glimpse of another planet's inhabitants. The Borg aren't just going back to witness history in the making. (Wouldn't that be a funny concept for a movie? And here's the Borg kicking back in recliners with buckets of popcorn to watch the human race exploring the vast unknown for the first time.) So the crew of the Enterprise must pull out all of the stops to try and defeat this formidable foe. This is a Picard/Data heavy storyline so I was definitely on board with it. It wasn't the most fantastically written Trek novel that I've ever read but it was probably the quickest. I read it in between panels at Star Trek: Mission New York to give you an idea of its length (276 pages). If you're a fan of ST:TNG then you've most likely read this before but if you're a Trek noob then you'll most likely find this an interesting tie-in to the film version. If you're not a Trekkie then you're probably going to pass on this one although honestly why isn't everyone a Trekkie at this point? ;-) ( )
  AliceaP | Oct 14, 2016 |
The Borg went back in time to change human history, but thanks to Captain Picard and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise, they failed...at least for now. Geordi, Riker, and Troi must make sure history continues as it should. If they fail, first contact between humans and an alien race will never be made, and the Federation will never exist.
Can they do it? Can they keep history on the right path? ( )
  Tutter | Mar 2, 2015 |
Can they do it? Can they keep history on the right path? ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
While a faithful adaptation of the movie of the same name, it provides more understanding of the thinking and motivations of the characters.
  kmorris3221 | Apr 3, 2010 |
A decent novelization of a fairly good "The Next Generation" movie (their first on their own), in which Picard and company follow the Borg back to the 21st century to prevent them from killing Zephrem Cochrane and his "First Contact" with Vulcans who are attracted by his warp-drive experiments. Not ground-breaking, but well-written and entertaining. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 9, 2007 |

J. M. Dillardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brandhorst, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gates McFaddenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Doc Marcia
Based on film STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT. The Federation starships face the Borg for control of the planet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067100316X, Hardcover)

From the deepest, darkest reaches of space came the greatest threat the Federation had ever faced: the Borg. Half organic/half mechanical, the Borg were relentless and bent on conquering and "assimilating" all intelligent life; a single Borg vessel destroyed 39 Federation starships, decimating Starfleet.

Only the courage and determination of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and his crew prevented the Borg from striking at the heart of the Federation and Earth itself in the year 2367. Picard and the USS Enterprise were able to score a stunning victory against the Borg.

But all that has changed, and the Borg are back...

Stronger and more dangerous than ever, they are ready to launch a new attack against the Federation, one that threatens its past... present... and future. Once again, Captain Picard, Commander Riker, Lieutenant Commander Data and the rest of the crew must face their greatest foe in a startling confrontation that will take them across time and put them face-to-face with their relentless enemy, revealing the Borg Collective's deadliest secret... and its true face.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:19 -0400)

Captain Picard and the crew of the Enterprise battle against the Borg, an alien race of half-human, half-machine drones who want to control every species in the universe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,891,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible