Bow Grip: A Novel by Ivan E. Coyote

Bow Grip: A Novel (2007)

by Ivan E. Coyote

Transposes by Dylan Edwards (Anonymous user)

This book doesn't fit in many of the "shelf" categories I created, which is probably a flaw on my part but also indicative of what this book is like. Read it for my Women's Studies class in first year (borrowed the copy, I believe, from Abby, because as notorious a book-buyer I am, I'm an equally notorious book-borrower, from private libraries as much as public). It's not my usual reading, but it's a good novel, and I still find it absurdly exciting when things are actually set in Canada. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
This might be the book for you if you like to read about average male protagonists and their average day that turns out to be rather special after all, but dislike the bullshit that comes with these kind of stories. Well. Bow Grip is actually quite good for that genre. So much less sexist, heterosexist and otherwise normative than most other novels that start out like this. Still, while I enjoyed the last bit, there was to much white-cis-male feelings for me to actually like this book, it was a bit unnerving and rather boring to read through all that. The the story turned out to be a bit different and much more likeable though and yeah, I'm not even being sarcastic when I recommend this book as an alternative to the usual male tears introspective stuff. ( )
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |
Acquired at 2010 SIWCon
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
It was kind of not the best in that the main character sort of suddenly started developing an inner life after having pretty much none for the first forty years of his life. Sometimes I feel like butches have too much sympathy for straight men and their plight.

But then again there'll be these real true moments so its not bad. Plus the first novel is always the hardest.
  knownever | Jul 19, 2015 |
I started reading this book in the waiting room on the morning that my mother went into the hospital for scheduled surgery. Just hours later, my daughter was brought into the ER downstairs and my entire life changed forever. I picked up the book again, a week and a half later, looking for a distraction, and wanting to be lulled into some temporary sense of peace by a somber and lyrical voice. It is Ivan's gift, that kind of voice, and while the novel will forever be connected to this moment in time for me, it is worth the weight of every page.
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to the men in my family. Especially you, Dad.
I would never have sold him the car in the first place if I'd known what he was going to do with it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible