The Unblemished by Conrad Williams

The Unblemished (2006)

by Conrad Williams

The middle of this book dragged a bit, but as the story progressed I was really engrossed in this England that the author portrayed. ( )
  antonbe | Jul 27, 2010 |
The Unblemished is a strong book that gets in your face and doesn’t back down. It’s unsettling nature is one of its biggest assets. This is one of the best books that I’ve read this year and after having read a couple of things by Williams hes become one of my favorites.

In my opinion, there are two things that make a great horror novel: the characters and the imagery. The characters must be strong and each of their actions must seem normal for them. The imagery must be able to put us into the situation like we are there, the movie in our minds being so realistic that it feels like a memory.

This book has both. I think I might have a new favorite author.

I do admit that I haven't always cared for Conrad Williams's work in the past, though I was generally positive about his previous novella for Earthling, Game, reviewed elsewhere on this site. The Unblemished left me with considerably mixed feelings: when it works it creates an impression that you may not want in your head but certainly stays there for a while. But at other times it falls short of success.

A leaf-burnt, pumpkin glowing adventure carved into the very heart of the supernatural and humankind whose actions are often as dark as the ether towards which they climb, British Fantasy Award-winner Conrad Williams' The Unblemished, the second book in Earthling's 'Halloween Series,' is both a trick and a treat.

For Ripley
I love you, squawker
What scared Claire more than the encroaching trees and the worsening state of the read was that the immutable faith she had in her map had proved misplaced.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 075351351X, Paperback)

Enter the mind of a serial killer who believes he is the rightful son and heir to an ancient dynasty of flesh-eating monsters. Follow the frantic journey of a mother whose daughter is infected with the stuff of nightmare, and look through the eyes of Bo Mulvey, a man upon whom the fate and survival of the entire human race depends. This apocalyptic novel set in London is an epic tale of history and destiny, desperation and desire, and atrocity and atonement.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:39 -0400)

'The Unblemished' artfully interweaves the stories of a serial killer who believes he is the rightful son and heir to an ancient dynasty of flesh-eating monsters, and a mother determined to protect her only daughter from the stuff of nightmares.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,637,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible