Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Don't Eat The Glowing Bananas

323,249,012 (3.5)None
Recently added bybradleyhorner, Floratina, Ermina

All the while I was reading this novel, I kept trying to imagine how it could be funnier.

While our itinerant food reviewer tasted the delicacies across a fallout wasteland, I couldn't help but imagine him playing as one of the cast from Monty Python's Flying Circus. Probably Eric Idle.

Once he teams up with Lewis and Zoe, I had this strange desire to see the whole novel done on stage. With singing. And dancing zombies. I thought it would be so cool.

In the end though, it was amusing, mostly mildly so, and it made me really want to fire up my Fallout New Vegas on Wild Wasteland settings and grin my way through the strangeness.

And eat Tamales. Even if it's rat stew, it'll now always be Tamales in my heart.

It was very nice to see a light-hearted take on a nuclear wasteland. The travelogue was a very nice touch.

Thanks to Netgalley! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Sound advice, I wouldn't eat them either.

I think from the title it is clear that this is not the most serious book and that you will have to let reason go at times in order for it to make sense (if it makes sense at all, that is). In this case, what you see is what you get, because it is exactly that kind of book.

Henry Rosetta for some reason is a food critique reviewing the places he eats while looking for the answer to one question: why did the bombs fell? All of this is of course set in a post nuclear war zone Texas with some strange inhabitants, including dancing (some of them riverdancing) zombies.

If you like this absurd weirdness from time to time, this is the book for you. I liked, but only when reading relatively short fragments at a time. Is this a book I would finish in a single sitting? Probably not, but spread over a few days I quite enjoyed myself.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,745,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible