Star Trek - Titan 1: Eine neue Ära by…

Star Trek - Titan 1: Eine neue Ära (edition 2008)

by Michael A. Martin, Andy Mangels, Stephanie Pannen (Übersetzer)

Member:Mr_Burns
Title:Star Trek - Titan 1: Eine neue Ära
Authors:Michael A. Martin
Other authors:Andy Mangels, Stephanie Pannen (Übersetzer)
Info:Cross Cult (2008), Ausgabe: 1., Taschenbuch, 379 Seiten
Rating:**
Tags:Science Fiction, Star Trek, Titan, Roman

Taking Wing by Michael A. Martin

ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I can count on Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels to provide a fast-paced and enjoyable read. This novel is the first of a series featuring Captain William T. Riker and his first command. We get a wildly diverse crew, Klingons and Romulans in a bad mood, Spock, and numerous threads from the Star Trek tapestry of tales.

Published in mass-market paperback by Pocket Books. ( )
  mmtz | May 26, 2012 |
In reading this book, I felt like it was almost two different books, based on the style of writing and what was happening. I know that it was written by Michael Martin and Andy Mangels, and I am unsure how that collaboration on the book went, and at the back of the book, there is a short paragraph on each author that establishes his credentials within the Star Trek universe.

Star Trek: Titan is a series based on Will Riker being offered his own command, as seen in the movie Star Trek: Nemesis, and of course Deanna Troi, his wife, goes along with him. The series picks up almost immediately where the movie left off as far as Riker and the starship Titan are concerned, with the ship still in space dock. The primary mission of the Titan is long-range exploration.

I have been out of the Star Trek book circle for awhile, and recently made the decision to get back to reading some of these. And like other reviewers of this book, I felt that there were too many characters with too many different names to really keep track of them all or feel any connection to many of them. Some of those characters apparently had been in some of the Star Trek: The Next Generation relaunch of books, though I wasn't familiar with them. Others were both minor and major characters of one or another TV show. I felt that the first part of this book was littered with minute little details that had no bearing to the story that was going on, whether that the author(s) tried to put everything they knew about Star Trek (and what they knew, it seemed, came from cliff notes)into the book. Also in the first half of the book, the action seemed to be glossed over, with very little dialogue, I felt. The characters of Will Riker and Deanna Troi seemed almost out of character for how they would have acted while on TNG.

And then about half way through, everything changes. The story actually becomes exciting as the Titan finally reaches Romulan space, meets up with the Klingons and then the Romulans as they make their final way to Romulus and the various factions of the Romulans that are trying to get into power. In the second half of this book, I found it difficult to put down and was a much quicker read than the first half of the book. The action is better, the dialogue is better, with the characters acting more within character, and less of the almost constant anti-racism preaching that was prevalent throughout the first half of the book.

The Romulans are not depicted as good as they have been by Diane Duane, and because of that, I would not consider this book essential Romulan reading, but overall, the book does set up the Star Trek Titan universe fairly well.

So, whereas the first half of the book would have warranted two or two-and-a-half stars, the second half redeemed the book to get it up to three-and-a-half stars. I will add the second book of the series to my "will read" column, and give the series at least one more chance. ( )
  kingoftheicedragons | Apr 19, 2010 |
An excellent start to a series that I have a lot of high hopes for.
One complaint I have is that Romulan politics are about as exciting as you would imagine them to be (as in: not), and the 5 or 6 factions that make up the relevant players in that situation became tedious a bit, toward the center of the book.
Another complaint I have is also something I came to like about the book - which may sound odd. There are about 37 characters to learn on the Titan, at least 30 of which don't exist in Star Trek continuity prior to the series (and the ones that do are, with the exception of 3 or so, are only well known to hardcore fans). It quickly became obvious that I was going to need to take character notes, and look up some racial information on key characters online. This became sort of fun, in an OCD kind of way. ( )
  Daedalus18 | Jan 4, 2010 |
This is a good book to get into after watching Star Trek: Nemesis. It basically picks up right from the start of Riker's command of the U.S.S. Titan - a new 'Luna' class starship.

I really enjoyed the book and, honestly, found myself not wanting to put it down. The most enjoyable aspect of the book for me was the fact that it really starts a whole new era of Trek adventures for some of the familiar TNG characters I love. I felt that the authors really took Riker and Deanna and pushed them forward into a "post-Enterprise" chapter of their lives. Sure, they're the same people as they were before, but, as you know yourself if you've ever moved to start a new career, there's a "fresh start" aspect of the experience that leads to change. It's interesting to me to see how things are changing for Riker and Deanna and the Trek universe as a whole. I feel that the authors captured that well.

Some of the points that the more negative reviews have are legitimate, though. I did feel like there were too many new characters and I had a hard time keeping them all straight. There is also an overbearing sense that the main point the authors were trying to make - on a moral level - was that bigotry is wrong. They really did emphasize this, almost to the point of ad nauseam.

I was able to get through that, though, and still really enjoyed the book. There are a couple of 'surprise' appearances by other characters that I didn't see coming, and that are well-written. If you read some of the other reviews, I'm sure you can find out who they are. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Oct 9, 2009 |

Michael A. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mangels, AndyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bierstedt, DetlefNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Das ist wohl ihr erster Besuch in Ki Baratan", sagte die Frau, die hinter dem Agenten stand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743496272, Mass Market Paperback)

After the wholesale assassination of the Romulan senate in the feature film Star Trek: Nemesis, the Romulan Empire is in disarray, with rival factions fighting to pick up the pieces and seize the reins of power. After several factions separately contact the Federation Council -- each laying claim to legitimate political power -- Starfleet Command sends Captain William Riker and the USS Titan to Romulus to set up a forum for power-sharing talks. But even as the factions take their first faltering steps towards building a new Romulus, civil war looms. Meanwhile the remnants of the Romulan intelligence service, the dreaded Tal Shiar, are regrouping behind the scenes, taking advantage of the political vacuum to mobilize ships and soldiers, threatening to touch off a conflict that would tear Romulus apart. With no other help available, Riker and the Titan crew are all that stands between the shattered Star Empire and a bloodbath.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:40 -0400)

In the wake of power struggles that may destroy the Romulan Star Empire, Riker heads to Romulus to set up negotiations among factions, unaware that remnants of the Romulan intelligence service threaten to unleash a bloodbath.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,524,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible