Dining with the Famous and Infamous (Dining…

Dining with the Famous and Infamous (Dining with Destiny)

by Fiona Ross

821,552,431 (3.5)None
Dining with the Famous and Infamous is an entertaining journey into the gastronomic peccadilloes of celebrities, stars, and notorious public figures. From outrageous artists to masterpiece authors, from rock stars to actors - everybody eats. Based on the findings of the British gastro-detective Fiona Ross, this volume explores the palates, the plates, and the preferences of the famous and infamous. Including recipes and their stories in the lives of those who cooked, ordered or ate them, Ross invites you to taste the culinary secret lives of people like Alfred Hitchcock, Frank Sinatra, and Woody Allen, among many others. Food voyeurism has arrived. If you've ever wondered whether George Orwell really swigged Victory Gin or whether cherries played their part in the fall of Oscar Wilde, then Dining with the Famous and Infamous will satisfy your appetite. 'Marilyn Monroe becomes a different kind of sex goddess when you discover she tried to eat her way out of Some Like It Hot with aubergine parmigiana: every curve you see on film is a protest (plus early signs of pregnancy ). You can recreate a 'Get Gassed' afternoon cocktail with Andy Warhol and Truman Capote; shake up the chocolate martini Liz Taylor and Rock Hudson invented on the set of Giant; and even relive the Swinging Sixties with the foodie tales, hedonism and hashish cookies of Bob Dylan, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. Who wouldn't want to sit at the table of their favorite film star, writer, artist or warlock and taste a piece of their lives?… (more)

Gorgeously written insights into how famous and infamous men and women ate, complete with their food philosophies and odd obsessions. This is a thoroughly captivating read with a wealth of information.

This volume divides the notables into Artists, Movie Stars, Musicians, Writers and "Nuts." Many big names are featured, along with stories that are so outrageous that I cannot believe that I had never heard them before.

I really enjoyed the writing style, which was like the icing on the delicious cake of incredible food stories. Definitely a must read!

**eARC netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
A book that combines two of my favorite things, dishy gossip about famous people and recipes that I find interesting but have no intention of cooking!
Ross revealed some pretty quirky anecdotes about some famous peeps from the music, art and literary world in regards to their food tastes in particular and to their lives in general.
Most of the dishes seem way to complex for a cook like me, but I did enjoy reading the recipes and her asides. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,875,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible