Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption…

Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption

by William Cope Moyers

The memoir of Bill Moyers son and his addiction to crack. He is now VP of external affairs at Hazelden. A great read! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 21, 2017 |
amazing story about recovery from addiction
  librarymom6 | Mar 16, 2009 |
Some books stay with you long after you put them down, and this is one of them. It was one of my best reads of 2007.

How can the story of one person's struggle to understand that he could not manage his own alcohol/drug addiction be so riveting? Moyers was able to compel me to keep turning pages because I HAD to know if he was going to make. This is a memoir, so of course I knew he didn't die, but in the thick of the story the reader can still get caught up in the question. His life made a good story, and he knew how to tell a good story.

The book had two problems:. First, the book desperately needed a good editor. Second, it seemed he was trying to stuff two or three books into one. Despite these shortcomings, the story shines through, and more than carries the day.

Broken is both a page turner and an inspiration. ( )
  InCahoots | Mar 13, 2008 |
Moyers' book spotlights a lesson I learned as a young teen when my family struggled in vain to help my older brother cope with a seven-year drug habit: addiction does not discriminate. It can swoop down on the most respectable, otherwise "normal" families.
There are so many sections of "Broken" that strike familiar chords as I think back on my brother's battles, especially Moyers' roller coaster ride to remain sober. The book graphically chronicles the emotional fallout that affects not only the addict, but every individual who cares about that person.
Unfortunately, Moyers' important work would have benefitted from some disciplined editing by one of his former colleagues at Newsday or CNN. As engaging as his travails are, one can't help but think two-thirds of the way into the book that the story and all its key messages could have been told more succinctly.
This criticism aside, the importance of "Broken" shouldn't be overlooked. My brother died early one morning in 1976. He had mixed drugs with alcohol. Moyers' book will no doubt help others to understand addiction -- and hopefully conquer it. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Feb 19, 2008 |
This is an important book showing that addiction crosses all lines. Hazelden is a marvelous program and I have been fortunate enough to go through the family program. Congrats to William Cope Moyers for his powerful story. ( )
  bettyjo | Feb 4, 2007 |

From rock bottom to recovery—the son of veteran broadcaster Bill Moyers chronicles his life- shattering battle with addiction and the hard-won fight for recovery

William Cope Moyers has come a long, long way. In 1994, he lay on the floor of an Atlanta crack house. His father had put together a search party. His worried family waited at home where Moyers had left them when he embarked on yet another binge. From that lowly, drug-hazed night, Moyers went on to become an executive at the Hazelden Foundation and travels far and wide to talk about addiction and treatment.

Broken tells the story of what happened between then and now—from growing up the privileged son of Bill Moyers to his descent into alcoholism and drug addiction, his numerous stabs at getting clean, his many relapses, and how he managed to survive. Harrowing and wrenching, Broken paints a picture of a man with every advantage who nonetheless found himself spiraling into a dark and life-threatening abyss. But unlike other memoirs of its kind, Broken emerges into the clear light of Moyers’s recovery as he dedicates his life to changing the politics of addiction. Beautifully written with a deep underlying spirituality, this is a missive of hope for the scores of Americans struggling with addiction—and an honest and inspiring account that proves the spiritual insight that we are strongest at the broken places.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:28 -0400)

The son of broadcaster Bill Moyers shares his personal battle with alcoholism and drug addiction, describing his privileged childhood, multiple relapses, and rise to a key player at the Hazelden Foundation, an addiction treatment center.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,562,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible