The Dead Letters by Tom Piccirilli

The Dead Letters (2006)

by Tom Piccirilli

English (2)  French (1)  All (3)
While I don't remember what first turned me on to reading Piccirilli, it's super easy to figure out why I keep reading him. His writing is strong, his characters well-defined and his stories engaging. Every book by him I finish cements his position as one of my favorite authors.

The Dead Letters follows Eddie Whitt as he refuses to let go of his daughter's death at the hands of a serial killer named Killjoy. Even when Killjoy changes his m.o. and starts delivering kidnapped babies from abusive homes to the parents of his murdered victims, Whitt won't let go. His life for the five years since his daughter was killed has been a pattern focused on finding and killing Killjoy. Something that makes him irrational enough to hurt himself in the process; his frustrations cause him to do things to calm down that had me cringe.

As readers, we experience that same frustration and desperation. We become involved with the weird cult family that has clues necessary for finding Killjoy. We hurt as Whitt's grief and pain bleeds off the pages. The book is something you will not want to put down. I'm not sure what else to say except go read it. Piccirilli is not someone to miss and this is novel is pure Piccirilli. ( )
  dagon12 | Jan 2, 2012 |
I didn't really enjoy reading this one, although I did read it all the way through. There were quite a lot of things that made me scratch my head and say, "What??!?" ( )
  Jebbie74 | Jul 28, 2007 |
« L'amour fait sortir l'âme rampante de sa cachette. »
Zora Neale Hurston
Pour Michelle et Patrick Lussier
Dans sa lettre, Killjoy disait : Les mots sont inadéquats ; pas les dents.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553384074, Mass Market Paperback)

Five years ago, Eddie Whitt’s daughter Sarah became the victim of a serial killer known as Killjoy, and Whitt vowed to hunt him down—no matter what the cost. But the police have given up. And Killjoy has stopped killing…and in some bizarre act of repentance has begun kidnapping abused infants and leaving them with the parents of his original victims.

The only clues to Killjoy’s identity lie in a trail of taunting letters. And even as they lead Whitt to a deadly cult—and closer to his prey—he begins to suspect that, like his wife, he’s losing his grip on reality: Sarah’s dollhouse is filled with eerie activity, as if her murder never occurred. As dark forces rise around him, Whitt must choose—between believing that evil can repent…and stepping into a trap set by a killer who may know the only way to save Whitt’s soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:03 -0400)

Five years after Eddie Whitt's daughter was murdered by the serial killer known as Killjoy, Eddie continues to hunt him down, following an eerie trail to a deadly cult, but his quest is complicated by dark forces that torment him with inexplicable events.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,547,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible