Chaos (Kay Scarpetta 24) by Patricia…

Chaos (Kay Scarpetta 24) (edition 2016)

by Patricia Cornwell (Author)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Patricia Cornwell returns with the remarkable twenty-fourth thriller in her popular high-stakes series starring medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta. In the quiet of twilight, on an early autumn day, twenty-six-year-old Elisa Vandersteel is killed while riding her bicycle along the Charles River. It appears she was struck by lightning--except the weather is perfectly clear with not a cloud in sight. Dr. Kay Scarpetta, the Cambridge Forensic Center's director and chief, decides at the scene that this is no accidental Act of God. Her investigation becomes complicated when she begins receiving a flurry of bizarre poems from an anonymous cyberbully who calls himself Tailend Charlie. Though subsequent lab results support Scarpetta's conclusions, the threatening messages don't stop. When the tenth poem arrives exactly twenty-four hours after Elisa's death, Scarpetta begins to suspect the harasser is involved, and sounds the alarm to her investigative partner Pete Marino and her husband, FBI analyst Benton Wesley. She also enlists the help of her niece, Lucy. But to Scarpetta's surprise, tracking the slippery Tailend Charlie is nearly impossible, even for someone as brilliant as her niece. Also, Lucy can't explain how this anonymous nemesis could have access to private information. To make matters worse, a venomous media is whipping the public into a frenzy, questioning the seasoned forensics chief's judgment and "a quack cause of death on a par with spontaneous combustion."… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Chaos (Kay Scarpetta 24)
Authors:Patricia Cornwell (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2016), 400 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Read in 2016

Chaos by Patricia Cornwell

English (8)  German (1)  All languages (9)
This is the latest Kay Scarpetta story. In this book, Kay is living in Boston with her husband, Benton, and is still working as a medical examiner. She is getting ready for a visit from her sister, Dorothy, and dreading spending time with a person who has not had much time for her in the past. She is out to dinner with her husband when she learns that a dead body has been found in a near by park by two 14 year old twin girls. Unsure if it is an accident or foul play, Kay is called to the scene to uncover what happened. She and her long time friend and police confidant, Pete Marino, secure the scene and try to piece together what happened to this young girl who seems to have hit a light pole with her bike and died.

Meanwhile, her husband and Marino received suspicious fake phone calls from Interpool about the case. These calls don't make sense, and soon Kay, Marino and Benton realize they are dealing with foul play. And they think it is from someone who has caused them harm in the past.

I was very disappointed in this book. As a long time Patricia Cornwell and Kay Scarpetta fan, I am always excited when a new novel comes out. I should have read the Amazon reviews and avoided this one. For the last several books Cornwell has written about Kay Scarpetta, I have become increasingly weary. Patricia writes her characters so rich and so fantastical these days, they it just makes me roll my eyes and hate the characters. Half of it isn't even realistic. Kay has everything at her disposal - you name it, she can get it. Her niece, Lucy, is a super genius who owns several cars, planes, helicopters.....who cares! Patricia spends more time writing about the names of their cars and suped up vehicles more than the case itself. IT took almost 200 pages before she even got to the crime. Kay Scarpetta has become so self absorbed and arrogant, I just couldn't stand her by the end of this book.

I am sad that this book was such a disappointment. I think I am done with this series. Cornwell WAS an excellent writer - back at the beginning of this series.
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I never learn. At 17%, nothing has happened. Nothing. And not in an interesting way, either. How was this even published? A waste.

ETA: At 80% complete, the elapsed time within the book was about three hours, and the exposition felt endless. Endless. At 90% complete, all hell broke loose, and the villains were identified and disposed of within a couple of paragraphs. I just don't get it. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
I find myself in an ambivalent relationship with Ms Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta suspense novels. This one tended more toward the hate end of the spectrum. "Why am I still reading this book that isn't going anywhere,' I asked myself as I kept turning the pages. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Dec 16, 2017 |
The latest Scarpetta novel, ti's about a murder of a bicycle rider in Boston, then it spins out of control. This is chaotic, indeed, and needs some serious work to turn it into anything near an exciting read. There’s very little plot and lots of rambling so that we don’t have a dead body till 20% through the book. There's al awful lot of discussion about slimey shoes, internal monologue and other clothing concerns that detract from the whodunit plot. ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 5, 2017 |
3.5 ( )
  Airykah1382 | Aug 6, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,838,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible