Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII…

Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (original 1968; edition 2005)

by Jean Plaidy

Member:fkhamer
Title:Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII
Authors:Jean Plaidy
Info:Three Rivers Press (2005), Paperback, 672 pages

Katharine of Aragon by Jean Plaidy (1968)

I loved the book but I think the first part (The Virgin Widow) had too much Juana and Ferdinand in it. ( )
  Elysianfield | Mar 30, 2013 |
Another magnificent nail-biting page turner that is very hard to put down. Ms. Plaidy certainly has a way of putting her reader right into the heart of all the action. And, again, you will laugh with the characters, and cry with the characters and go through all things with them. Everyone is so real and alive through the masterful writing that you can't help but feel as though you truly know these characters. ( )
  ejgrogan | Mar 20, 2011 |
Jean Plaidy is amongst the nobility of historical fiction authors. Her research, particularly for the time, is amazing. This is primarily the story of Katherine, but we also get a good chunk of the story of her sister Juana, and the rise and fall of Cardinal Wolsey. It is clear that Anne Boleyn will have her own time to shine, as in this book she is a shadow in the background and never in the forefront. You can't help but feel sympathy for the position of Katherine. ( )
  nellista | Nov 16, 2009 |
I really enjoyed this book and I liked that it was a little more historically accurate than some other historical fictions I have read. This was a time period of continual alliances and various political plots. Tudor England was very political and relationships were always on the political stage and this book really shows that. ( )
  Angelic55blonde | Jun 30, 2007 |
This book is actually an omnibus of Plaidy's three Katharine of Aragon novels: Katharine, the Virgin Widow, The Shadow of the Pomegranate, and The King's Secret Matter. Each of these books would have seemed really light if I'd read them on their own, but put together it's a massive undertaking to get through all of them. It never felt like I was making progress getting through this book, and it was very, very sluggish in parts. I generally prefer historical fiction to straight-up history, and while this book might be factually accurate (although some family trees and maybe a timeline would have helped), there wasn't enough fiction, enough drama, enough life to break up the continual plots and alliances and politics that got a little dry by halfway through. Sure, we get to hear the fictionalized thoughts of the characters, but that's not enough when those thoughts are repeated chapter after chapter for 600 pages. Not bad, but not enough to support its own weight. ( )
  fyrefly98 | May 7, 2007 |
The sun picked out sharp flints in the gray walls of the towers so that they glinted like diamonds.

For the first time in paperback—all three of Jean Plaidy’s Katharine of Aragon novels in one volume.

Legendary historical novelist Jean Plaidy begins her tales of Henry VIII’s queens with the story of his first wife, the Spanish princess Katharine of Aragon.

As a teenager, Katharine leaves her beloved Spain, land of olive groves and soaring cathedrals, for the drab, rainy island of England. There she is married to the king’s eldest son, Arthur, a sickly boy who dies six months after the wedding. Katharine is left a widow who was never truly a wife, lonely in a strange land, with a very bleak future. Her only hope of escape is to marry the king’s second son, Prince Henry, now heir to the throne. Tall, athletic, handsome, a lover of poetry and music, Henry is all that Katharine could want in a husband. But their first son dies and, after many more pregnancies, only one child survives, a daughter. Disappointed by his lack of an heir, Henry’s eye wanders, and he becomes enamored of another woman—a country nobleman’s daughter named Anne Boleyn. When Henry begins searching for ways to put aside his loyal first wife, Katharine must fight to remain Queen of England and to keep the husband she once loved so dearly.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:07 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,410,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible