The Cave of the Yellow Dog by Byambasuren…

The Cave of the Yellow Dog

by Byambasuren Davaa, Lisa Reisch

Other authors: Battomor Dashbaldan (Illustrator)

The Cave Of The Yellow Dog is a depiction of the everyday life of Mongolia’s nomads, and some of the struggles they face. Most of this short novella focuses on the Batchuluun family at their summer camp, although throughout the book there are also short chapters that give information on various aspects of nomadic Mongolian life including the gers (tents), food and diet, a very brief overview of Mongolian politics, the education system, traditional deel clothing and various customs.

There are also three sections of beautiful photos, many of which showcase the stunning Mongolian landscape.

The Batchuluun family is just Dad, Mum and three kids (the oldest is 6) out on the vast Mongolian Steppes with 300 animals. It amazed me what chores Nansaa (6yo) and Nansalmaa (4yo) had to do to help out their family. This includied Nansaa on horseback taking the herd away from the camp for a day, by herself, to find better grazing while her father was away selling sheep skins. Or Nansalmaa being left in charge of her 18 month old brother for periods of time. Self reliance is obviously important and while these kids seem to be very mature and take on some big responsibilities, they still find time to just be kids.

I was particularly interested in how the nomadic lifestyle works in today’s world of land ownership etc. A brief overview is given, but I would have liked more details. Actually I would have liked more details on most of what this book covers. We are only with the Batchuluun family during summer when it is just their family and the animals. In winter they camp in a larger camp with extended family and I would’ve liked to read about this part of their life as well. This book was written as a companion to a documentary of the same name, and it shows.

This is a very quick and easy book to read. It's only a basic introduction, but it offers an extremely interesting insight into the lifestyle of nomadic Mongolians. ( )
  SouthernKiwi | Jun 13, 2011 |
The Cave of the Yellow Dog is part memoir, part "child find a dog" story. It is okay, but not brilliant, at both. I think this book would be most helpful to someone who is going to watch the movie version of Cave, where this book provides the necessary background and cultural information needed to enjoy the film without trying to figure out what is going on every minue or so.

The book was not a long or difficult read. I think part of why I did not explicitly enjoy it is because I was reading it for a class. I would recommend it to someone who would like to learn more about Mongolian culture. ( )
  SmangosBubbles | Apr 10, 2010 |

Byambasuren Davaaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reisch, Lisamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dashbaldan, BattomorIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Höfler, MonikPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schönauer, DanielPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weerdt-Schellekens, Henriëtte vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A young nomad girl finds a stray dog and wants to keep it; her parents are reluctant until the dogs saves their baby.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,145,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible