Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Trump: The Art of the Deal by Donald J.…

Trump: The Art of the Deal (original 1987; edition 1989)

by Donald J. Trump, Tony Schwartz (Contributor)

8411916,302 (3.49)1 / 34
Member:RonManners
Title:Trump: The Art of the Deal
Authors:Donald J. Trump
Other authors:Tony Schwartz (Contributor)
Info:Warner Books (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Tags:Biographies

Trump : The Art of the Deal by Donald J. Trump (1987)

English (18)  French (1)  All languages (19)
The art of the deal is about management, leadership mentality. It’s a kind of biography presenting the life of Donald Trump until the ’90s – way before he thought about the American presidency. If you’ve ever tried to figure out how were people making money in the United States, you will find out that the real estate market was a great place to do that. Then, sooner or later, Donald Trump’s name comes up inevitably because he did many great deals and he, eventually, made a lot of money.

Now, this is not a political message, don’t interpret it like that and be rational. You can like the man or be totally opposite, that’s not the point here. Nevertheless, I have to say that this is a brilliant book. If you’ve ever wondered how does someone at that level of working with hundreds of millions of dollars operate and make deals or what kind of deals they make? How were those deals structured and what was his thinking behind this decision-process, this is the book for you as Donald Trump reveals all of this. Simply saying, he walks you through a few of his transactions and presents the people and his strategy behind these deals. Most importantly he keeps the story really interesting.

Anyway, Donald Trump comes from a real estate family. His father, Fred Trump, was a renowned real estate developer on the outskirts of New York. He became a wealthy business person for building row properties in South Brooklyn. This way Donald Trump was already introduced into the real estate market as a child and when he came of age he decided to pursue a career in the real estate business. On the other hand, he didn’t want to stay in some niche and had his eyes set on Manhattan, the property capital of the world. However, the book doesn’t concentrate only on New York. You will find other deals in Atlanta and other cities where he was developing his other projects.

There are a few key points from the book which I’d like to mention below. Treat them as principles followed by Trump in his business and political (my assumption) career:

1. Think big, be obsessive and driven
2. Protect the downside and the upside will take care of itself which means to be very conservative in business. It’s better to pay a higher price for a sure thing rather than putting your business at risk
3. Maximise your options – be flexible and never be attached to one option, deal or approach. Keep as many options open as possible. Furthermore, if you took one way still hold other options at hand in order to deliver your goal
4. Know your market – don’t waste too much money on market research and surveys. Get there on your own and talk to real people until you know the market by instinct. Next, trust your gut feeling. Honestly, I’m not so sure about this point. Maybe in the ’80s market surveys weren’t so reliable, nowadays when we have AI, big data etc. I would rather go for it
5. Enhance your location – this rule is specific to the property business. Keep your property spotless and tidy and keep an eye on their surrounding as it’s one of the major price factors... (if you like to read my full review please visit my blog https://leadersarereaders.blog/the-art-of-the-deal/) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Jun 5, 2019 |
I read this a couple of decades ago. Was not impressed at the time by the massive ego on display. Trump has not done anything in the intervening years to change my opinion. If anything, I think less of him now since witnessing his behavior as POTUS. ( )
1 vote ScoLgo | Sep 19, 2018 |
History of Financial Advice Collection. Before his sensational ascent to the presidency in 2016, Donald Trump’s public reputation rested in large part on this bestseller. Although not strictly a book of financial advice, Trump and Schwartz’s Art of the Deal deserves its place in this history both because it has become one of the most iconic texts of the popular business genre and because it offers an anecdotal guide to the money that can be made in real estate investing in particular. The book combines an “11-step formula for business success” (inspired by Norman Vincent Peale’s The Power of Positive Thinking, 1952) with a “truthful hyperbole” that details Trump’s own successes and strategies in financial negotiations.
  LibraryofMistakes | Mar 6, 2018 |
Not surprisingly Trump reveals his feelings and his thinking and then tells the reader about the actions he took on his way to the top. Almost 30 years later he likes to share his thoughts as well as his emotions. What's wrong with that when character and honesty seem to be at his core, diplomacy, not so much. Gotta love this guy! ( )
  earthwind | Nov 7, 2017 |
The Art of the Deal is an unguarded look at the mind of a brilliant entrepreneur—the ultimate read for anyone interested in the man behind the spotlight. ( )
  Ruxuan_Zhang | Mar 30, 2017 |

Donald J. Trumpprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schwartz, TonyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345479173, Mass Market Paperback)

From the Impresario of NBC’s hit show The Apprentice

TRUMP ON TRUMP: “I like thinking big. I always have. To me it’s very simple: if you’re going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big.”

And here’s how he does it: the art of the deal.

Beginning with a week in Trump’s high-stakes life, Trump: The Art of the Deal gives us Trump in action. We see just how he operates day to day—how he runs his business and how he runs his life—as he chats with friends and family, clashes with enemies, efficiently buys up Atlantic City’s top casinos, changes the face of the New York City skyline . . . and plans the tallest building in the world.

TRUMP ON TRUMP: “I play it very loose. I don’t carry a briefcase. I try not to schedule too many meetings. I leave my door open. . . . I prefer to come to work each day and just see what develops.”

Even a maverick plays by rules, and here Trump formulates his own eleven guidelines for success. He isolates the common elements in his greatest deals; he shatters myths (“You don’t necessarily need the best location. What you need is the best deal”); he names names, spells out the zeros, and fully reveals the deal-maker’s art: from the abandoned property that became the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center to the seedy hotel that became the Grand Hyatt; from the race to rebuild Central Park’s Wollman Skating Rink to the byzantine saga of the property that became Trump Tower. And throughout, Trump talks—really talks—about how he does it.

TRUMP ON TRUMP: “I always go into a deal anticipating the worst. If you plan for the worst—if you can live with the worst—the good will always take care of itself.”

Donald Trump is blunt, brash, surprisingly old-fashioned in spots—and always, always an original. Trump: The Art of the Deal is an unguarded look at the mind of a brilliant entrepreneur and an unprecedented education in the art of the deal. It’s the most streetwise business book there is—and a sizzling read for anyone interested in money and success.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

An overview of a week in the entrepreneur's life and opinions on everything from football to New York mayors accompany stories of Trump's best real estate deals and a discussion of the deal maker's art.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible