Harriet Tubman: Freedombound by Janet Benge

Harriet Tubman: Freedombound

by Janet Benge, Janet Benge

881137,094 (5)None

Janet Benge is an AWA workshop leader whom I met a couple of weeks ago and she gave me this book. Just in time - I had surgery the next day and since this is written on the fifth grade level, I could read it with comprehension when I was healing.

I loved the book and had no idea of how Harriet spent her whole life (over 90 years) working for the freedom of the African-Americans in bondage.

After escaping from a plantation in Maryland, she returned many, many times to lead other slaves to freedom.

I also did not know of the many laws that were passed in the US, even after emancipation, that made it difficult for African-Americans to own land. Even after they made it to free states, there were slave bounty hunters who would seek them out and bring them back to the south. Many went to Canada to gain true freedom. ( )
  DSlongwhite | Aug 7, 2007 |

Janet Bengeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benge, Janetmain authorall editionsconfirmed

A narrative biography of American abolitionist Harriet Tubman, who escaped slavery and led others to freedom as a conductor on the Underground Railroad.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,553,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible