Beyond the Deepwoods: The Edge…

Beyond the Deepwoods: The Edge Chronicles--Book One (original 1998; edition 2003)

by Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell, Clive Mantle (Narrator)

Member:qgdbsmom
Title:Beyond the Deepwoods: The Edge Chronicles--Book One
Authors:Paul Stewart
Other authors:Chris Riddell, Clive Mantle (Narrator)
Info:Chivers North America (2003), Audio Cassette

Beyond the Deepwoods by Paul Stewart (1998)

Abandoned at birth in the perilous Deepwoods, Twig is brought up by wood trolls, but one night he strays from the path and begins on a heart stopping adventure as he tries to discover his true identity ( )
  AccyP | Nov 28, 2018 |
From Kirkus Review: Readers fond of nonstop adventures thickly stocked with variously clawed, tentacled, tusked, venomous, tattooed, insidious, blood-drinking, slime-vomiting plug-uglies will be in hog heaven over this imported series opener, trendily bound in a jacketless pictorial cover. Young Twig has grown up as the foundling child of a peaceable, none-too-bright pair of wood trolls. But he enters a different destiny when he strays off a marked path into the trackless Deepwoods, where challenges as diverse as the aptly named Halitoad, tribble/piranha hybrids dubbed Wigwigs, toothy Bloodoaks, and, most horrible of all, a cooing, preteen, makeover-happy Termagant Trog await. All will be escaped by the skin of his teeth and, as he's not particularly strong, brave, or clever, with the help of mysterious strangers. Rendered in realistic, gloriously obsessive detail in dozens of drawings, the monsters seem to leap (or ooze) to life-sometimes so vividly that Twig seems to fade into the background. By the end, though, he's eluded them all, reunited with his real father aboard a flying pirate ship, and is sailing off into the simultaneously published sequel, Stormchaser (ISBN: 0-385-75070-6), with more sequels to come. Good fun, though the supporting cast tends to overshadow the plot. ( )
  PolyDrive | Aug 20, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Beyond the Deepwoods Series: The Edge Chronicles Author: Chris Riddell & Paul Stewart Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: Children's SFF Pages: 290 Format: Kindle Synopsis: Twig, an unusual wood troll, finds out he is adopted and is sent off to live with a distant relative. He gets off the path and ends up having MANY adventures culminating in finding his father, a human sky pirate. My Thoughts: I didn't realize this was a children's book when I started it. I thought it was for teens. However, I realized my error right away and adjusted my thought process and expectations, hence allowing me to finish this without throwing a hissy fit. Things happen. That more than adequately sums up how this books works. Several times I kept waiting for the main character to wake up and get back to where he last was only to realize that THIS event was in fact happening and it was NOT a dream sequence. I was ok for the first half of the book and then I started getting antsy and wanting things to wrap up. I suspect kids would simply accept the abrupt changes in the story, as they can relate, ie, their whole world can change in an instant without any input from them or any kind of control. It is part of being a child. As an adult I simply had enough. I'm keeping on through the series, but I am glad it will be quite some time before I revisit this series. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I really likked it because it went over everything in that world. I've read it before but forgot most of it. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
My 11 year old loved this and the other two in this trilogy about Twig. I obviously don't read enough YA because I'm largely impatient with it (more to follow when I finish reading it), but the illustrations help a lot. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |

Paul Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Riddell, Chrissecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Joseph and William
Far far away, jutting out into the emptiness beyond, like the figurehead of a mighty stone ship, is the Edge.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385750684, Hardcover)

The U.S. gets a tremendous treat with the introduction of the Edge Chronicles, a fantastic boy-meets-world saga from British author-illustrator team Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell.

An un-traditional coming-of-age story, the Edge Chronicles begins with Beyond the Deepwoods, in which our put-upon protagonist, Twig (a misplaced human boy who's being raised by woodtrolls) gets a hint of his true heritage, sheds his Deepwoods upbringing, and does the unthinkable: He strays from the path. Alone for the first time and surviving by his wits, Twig must surmount all manner of perils to pursue a destiny that is whisperingly, mysteriously promised to him "beyond the Deepwoods." From one frying pan to the next (but never quite into the fire) Twig either bests or befriends a ferocious, Carroll-esque menagerie of Deepwoods denizens--from foul-mouthed halitoads and red-faced slaughterers to galumphing banderbears and piranha-Tribble wig-wigs.

Paul Stewart lays the foundation for some pretty terrific storytelling in this first book--only hinting at what lies ahead in this world where rocks float and sky pirates ride the sky above--but the contribution of illustrator Chris Riddell can't be overstated. Whether in the jowly cheeks of the gyle goblins' Grossmother or the menacing gaze of the supra-evil Gloazgomer, Riddell (an accomplished political cartoonist) manages to match Stewart's descriptions blow-for-blow in evocative pen-and-ink. Grownups and kids alike will rush to the store to pick up the second adventure, the tantalizingly titled Stormchaser. (Ages 9 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Twig, having always looked and felt different from his woodtroll family, learns that he is adopted and travels out of his Deepwoods home to find the place where he belongs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,536,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible