Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods by…

Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods

by Suzanne Collins

I really wish I could give this book 4.5 stars. It deserves it. I didn't give it 5 stars because some of the story I didn't like. but after all, I'm sure that's just me. I look forward to reading book four and five. as soon as I can. still a great read and everyone should read it. ( )
  stevealtier | Feb 18, 2015 |
Another great book in the series. I'd have had a much higher opinion of the author if I had read this series before the Hunger Games (not that the Hunger Games was bad, but this is better). The cover art for all these books is somewhat ugly, but you know what they say about judging a book by its cover. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Summary: Gregor has been puzzling over the Prophecy of Blood since he returned from the Underland. It seems to predict dire things happening, and that both he and his baby sister Boots will need to return to the Underland, but Gregor knows that his mother will never let him go again - and certainly not Boots. Gregor receives a message from Vikus, telling him of a terrible and deadly plague that's infected warm-blooded animals across the Underland - including Gregor's bat, Ares - and asking him to attend a meeting of the Underlanders regarding what's to be done about finding a cure. Gregor's mom doesn't want to allow even that much, but after Ripred send an army of rats to "convince" her, she agrees - but only on the condition that she be allowed to accompany Gregor and Boots to the meeting. But of course, things don't exactly go as planned, and soon it becomes more important than ever to find a cure for the plague, even if it means Gregor will have to venture out into the wilds of the Underland once again.

Review: I enjoyed this book, but I found it pretty dark compared to the first two books, and particularly compared to other mid-grade fantasy adventure stories. There were a lot of interesting themes brought up: war, and pacifism, and prejudice, and how ethical boundaries can get redefined in the interest of security and in the heat of battle, and how these things can tear families apart. They're all presented in a way that's age-appropriate and organic to the story, but I was still a little surprised to have what is ostensibly a kid's book bring up biological warfare, y'know?

As far as the storyline goes, this one was pretty good. Plenty of action, and several good plot twists. Plus, the answer to the prophecy made sense but was non-obvious, which is always appreciated. Character-wise, I was less interested in Gregor's struggle to deal with his "Rager" nature, but Boots (who is now old enough to speak in sentences) was pretty great, and I thought the secondary characters were really interesting (Hamnet and his backstory and his relationships in particular). The audio production was also good; either Paul Boehmer has toned down his habit of speaking in exclamations that bothered me in the first few books, or else I've gotten used to it, but the audiobook seemed a little more mature than the first two - which is actually true about the book as a whole as well. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Background context would obviously be lost reading this one on its own, but it actually works okay as a stand-alone; at least, it had been a long time since I read the first two, and most of the details had fled my brain, and I still followed along with no problems. The series as a whole is solidly good mid-grade fantasy adventure fare, and should be enjoyable by kids of both sexes, and adults who are in the mood for something fun but not overly challenging. ( )
  fyrefly98 | May 5, 2014 |
Excellent series! ( )
  jamesfallen | Feb 7, 2014 |
Excellent series! ( )
  jamesfallen | Feb 7, 2014 |
For Charlie and Isabel
Gregor stared in the bathroom mirror for a minute, steeling himself.

In the third installment of The Underland Chronicles, Gregor must stop a plague from spreading through the Underland.

Book Two left off with Gregor reading the Prophecy of Blood: a prophecy that calls for Gregor and Boots to return to the Underland to help ward off a plague. But this time, Gregor's mother refuses to let Gregor return to the Underland ...until the rat Ripred assures the family that Gregor and Boots are needed only for a short meeting, which the crawlers will attend only if their "princess" Boots is present. Gregor's mom finally relents, but on the condition that she go with them so they aren't out of her sight. The Underland plague is spreading, and when one of Gregor's family (cont'd)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:25 -0400)

Eleven-year-old Gregor and his younger sister, Boots, return to the Underworld beneath New York City to find the cure for a terrible plague that threatens the life of their mother, as well as the lives of the people, bats, and rats who populate the underworld.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,916,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible