The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (2006)

by Rick Riordan

Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series (1)

18,17899994 (4.09)1 / 635
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (990)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (999)
Hilariously awesome. Sparked my need to read more about mythology. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
This book is about a boy named Percy Jackson, and his life before and after he finds out his father is Zues one of the ancient Greek Gods. It tells the stories of his adventures as he goes to retrieve a lighting bolt that was stolen from the gods and gives it back to it's rightful owners. The book has scenes that are similar to stories in the ancient greek myths like Mount Olympus, the Underworld, the Lotus flowers and much more. It causes the reader to be interested in the story and want to better understand the ancient Greek Myths so that they can better understand the story.
  BurgessMeredith | Jul 8, 2018 |
I have never had any qualms with this book nor this series. The pages captivate the reader with suspense, adventure, Greek mythology, and friendship. If you're looking for something that is well-written and will ensnare you to the depths and back, this is the book to get you started. Happy adventuring! ( )
  hp7 | Jul 1, 2018 |
How have I waited until 2016 to read this book? I loved it! Okay, so the main character is 12. Big deal. This book is an awesome read for any age. I cannot wait to read Sea of Monsters and also everything else that Rick Riordan has written! ( )
  itswawawhitney | Jun 19, 2018 |
On a boarding school field trip Percy Jackson's math teacher (Mrs. Dodds) turns into a terrible monster. Percy vaporizes her with his Latin teacher's (Mr. Brunner) pen that gratefully turns into a sword. After that everyone acts like Mrs. Dodds never existed, Percy is almost convinced except his best friend (Grover) is a terrible liar. Before going home for summer vacation he over hears Grover and Mr. Brunner talking about him very secretively. To get away from his smelly, abusive stepfather, Percy's mom takes him to a cabin on the beach. During a huge storm Grover arrives at the cabin with no pants on and turns out to be a satyr. They get chased by a Minotaur that gets hold of Percy's mother and makes her disappear into thin air. Out of pure anger, Percy kills the Minotaur with its own horn. Grover takes Percy to a summer training camp for demigods. It turns out that his Latin teacher is a centaur (Chiron) and trainer of heroes. Percy meets some new kids and learns how to sword fight from his counselor, Luke son of Hermes. After an extreme game of capture the flag, Percy gets attacked by a hell hound and finds out that he is the son of Poseidon god of the Sea. Later he visits the Oracle who tells him a prophecy, "You shall go west, and find the god who has turned. You shall find what was stolen, and see it safely returned. You shall be betrayed by one who calls you a friend. And you shall fail to save what matters most in the end". Percy picks Grover and Annabeth (a new friend) to join him on a quest to recover Zeus's lightning bolt that was possibly stolen by Hades. The quest had many interesting things happen in it including beheading Medusa, blowing up the St. Louis Arch, and helping the God of War retrieve his shield from the tunnel of love. Aries tells Percy tells Percy that his mom is not dead, but is being held captive by Hades in the Underworld. They almost get sucked into Tartarus by a cursed pair of shoes and it also turns out that Hades didn't steal the bolt, and his own Helm of Darkness was stolen as well. Hades believes that Percy is the one who stole the bolt and happens to unfortunately find it in the backpack that Ares gave him. Hades is extremely angry that Percy "lied" and he won't release his mom until Percy returns the helm. Percy fights Ares who eventually gives them helm to Mrs. Dodds to give to Hades.Percy goes back to New York, returns the lightning bolt to Zeus and meets his dad. Later he goes back to his house to find his mom save and sound. Percy returns to Camp Halfblood and his mom uses Medusa's head to turn his stepfather into stone. ( )
  LoganGB2 | May 31, 2018 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

After learning that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea, Percy Jackson is transferred from boarding school to Camp Half-Blood, a summer camp for demigods, and becomes involved in a quest to prevent a war between the gods. (Novelist)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

5 1935

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,297,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible