The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the…

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan

18,9521030119 (4.08)1 / 640
Member:SavannahW.B1
Title:The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre, Jozzey07)
    Jozzey07: Both these books have an amazing blend of, action and comedy.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (1,020)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (1,029)
This book was what made me a voracious reader. It was recommended to me by a friend at the Scholastic book fair of 2010 (who rightfully told me to read the books before watching the movie). I devoured the books and read them twice (possibly more but it was so long ago). A friend of mine and I were discussing them because I was reading the Harry Potter series for the first time and we decided to start a IRL book club. And so for the first time in 8 years, I re-read The Lightning Thief.

I was so nostalgic reading this. I felt 11 again, in love with Percy and giggling at the little comments. However, I wouldn't be honest unless I said that there were some things that I hadn't noticed the first few times around that really stood out now. A lot of the situations were silly to the point of unbelievability, and sometimes even stupidly unrealistic.

I know, I know, this is blasphemy! But, come on, that ending with Medusa's head is...unsettling in its implications. Basically, Percy's mother jokes about committing and covering up cold-blooded murder. And its played as a gag.

That's...very wrong.

I found the narrative voice to be very juvenile, but not actually that of a 12-year-old. He felt pretty solidly 14 or 15 based on his own actions and the actions of his peers and authority figures towards him. It felt like an old guy trying to sound like a 12-year-old.

However! I still loved it. It will always hold the biggest spot in my heart and I'll always think of it fondly. It's middle grade (very obviously so) and so I will excuse some of the more...disconcerting aspects.

Note: Since it's fresh in my brain, I can say with some authority that Percy Jackson is not a rip-off of Harry Potter unless J.K. Rowling holds the copyright on black hair, green eyes, urban fantasy, chosen ones, and boy-girl friend trios, which she does not. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
One of the clearest memories I have of elementary school is my 6th grade teacher reading the story of Persephone, Demeter and Hades to the class from Edith Hamilton’s Mythology. The Greek gods captivated me from the start. After that day in class, I scoured the library for every book even remotely hinting of Greek mythology, so you can imagine my delight when I picked up The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. The gods, alive and well in Manhattan? Monsters and godlings among us? A dangerous quest? Oh yeah!

Percy Jackson isn’t like other kids, a thought that becomes fact when, in the first chapter, he turns his evil Math teacher to dust with a ballpoint-pen-turned-sword. His life goes from bad to worse when he’s sent home from boarding school with an invitation not to return next year. Living with his stepfather, Smelly Gabe, is even worse than boarding school, but life gets even more complicated when Percy and his mother are attacked by The Minotaur while fleeing to the safety of Camp Half Blood, a training ground for demi-gods. Percy soon learns that his real father is the god Poseidon, and he is potentially one of the most powerful “heroes” to come along in years. But all is not well on Mt. Olympus. Someone has stolen Zeus’ thunderbolt, a most powerful weapon, and all fingers point to Percy. To prove his innocence, Percy, along with Daughter-of-Athena Annabeth and a satyr named Grover, embarks on a dangerous quest to the Underworld, where he learns a thing or two about friendship, trust and self-worth.

Action abounds from the first pages of this book. Great characters, great story, superb writing. My only quibble comes from the feeling I kept getting that I was reading a Harry Potter book. We have a boy who never fit in, finding out he has remarkable powers, teaming up with a smart, sassy girl who has equally strong powers and a less talented but very amusing third boy — all sent off on a quest to recover something very powerful that, if in the wrong hands, could mean the end of the world. Throw into the mix a mysterious, powerful, and dangerous evil thing that everyone thought was dead and we have…..Sorceror’s Stone, anyone? Even the typeface used for the chapter headings was the same as in the HP books.

Despite the similarities to HP, The Lightning Thief was a fabulous read, and I can’t see any kid putting it down. Read the first chapter to a class and I guarantee they’ll be in the library looking for this one. ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
The Lightning thief talks about this kid named Percy Jackson who is the son of Poseidon.He is framed for stealing a lighting bolt.

The book starts off with Percy Jackson talking with his best friend Grover.
While they are on a field trip to a Mythology museum. When they get the museum Percy's Teacher Mr.Brunner starts to ask Percy questions which he answer correctly since his dyslexia can read the Greek statues. So after they explore the museum Him and Grover go to eat their lunches until, this girl named Nancy Slapped Grover's PBJ out of his hand. Right when she is about to punch Percy The Water from the fountain picks her up an throw and pushes her back. Then Nancy yells and says that Percy pushed her. So Percy's other teacher Mrs. Dodds brings him back in the museum.Then Mrs.Dodds turned into an monster and attacked Percy until Mr Brunner Threw a pen at Percy which turned into a sword.Then Percy sliced her in half turning her into gold dust.When Percy was going out of the museum Mr.Brunner gets his pen back. Percy and Grover take the city bus back to Percy's house where he meets his mom there. Percy lives in a abusive home because of his step dad Gabe who treats him and his mother bad. Since Percy hadn't seen his mom in 6 months. Him and his mom go to a cabin near beach side. They were having a good time until, Grover knocked on their door. Percy noticed that Grover's feet were gone and were replaced with donkey feet. Grover went to the cabin since there was a minataur after Percy since the Minatar thinks Percy has the lighting bolt. So they Get in the car and drive to Camp Half Blood. Camp Half Blood is a camp full of demigods it where demigods stay so they are protected. On the way to Camp Half Blood the Minotuar crashes into the car flipping the car over. The minataur then grabs Percy's mother out of the car and chokes her to death. Thats when Percy snaps and starts to hit the minataur then jumps on his back and rips the horn off and stabs the minataur in the chest.

Next thing you know is Percy wakes up in camp half blood where he is greeted by Grover. At first Percy thinks his mom dying was a dream until he saw Grover's donkey feet. So Grover introduced Percy to Camp Half Blood and Percy found out that Mr Brunner was also here and he also had donkey legs. Grover told Percy they were called Satyrs. Percy meets Luke the son of Hermes. Later that day they played capture the flag it was a different capture the flag. In this capture the flag you could harm the opponent on the other team with swords and powers. Once Percy caught the flag and had it in his hand he went to the pond to find the other team waiting for him. They all started to cut Percy with their swords. Once Percy was badly beat up in the pond he made the water rise and attack the other team and then after he beat them all he has a Poseidon symbol over his head which meant he was claimed by Poseidon. Since they found out he is the son of Poseidon they put him in the third cabin where Percy was alone. Percy's cabins alone since he's the only demigod that is Poseidon's son. After Percy went to sleep he had a nightmare about Poseidon and Zeus fighting while Earth is destroyed. So Percy tells Chrion aka Mr. Brunner about his dream. Chiron tells Percy that he has a quest to go on but, Chiron doesn't want him to go since he hasn't been on a regular quest and since it's even more dangerous since everyone is after him.Percy's quest is about going to the underworld since they think Hades has the bolt. So Percy waits until night and he goes to sneak out of camp but Grover and Annabeth tell him that they are going with him. So they go to Luke's dorm where they get flying shoes and a map from Gabe. So after they get the shoes they pass the patrol and sneak out. The pearls teleports all of them back to the surface.

Once they reach the first location on the map they run into Medusa. Medusa is after the Zeus's lighting bolt like everyone else. So she chases Percy so she can take the lighting bolt that he doesn't really have. Right after hope seems loss until, Annabeth drives a car into medusa and cuts her head off. Then they found one of the pearls in her hand. Then they take the Pearl and the head. Even when the head is cut off it can still turn people into statues. So the after the exhausted battle they decided to go to a restaurant. Right when they start eating a tall man opens the door and walks in. The tall man took a seat next to Percy where he told him that he was Ares the god of war. So Ares told them that Hades stole the lightning bolt. So Ares gives them a Pearl and a backpack. So after the got out of the restaurant they went to a casino where the last pearl. So since the casino looked nice they stayed there. For them it was a couple of minutes but in real life it was three days which means they only have a couple hours to return. So they grab the pearl from the casino machine and hurry to the Underworld since they have the three pearls. So they get a taxi driver that drives them to California where the underworld is. Once they get to the underworld Grover puts on the flying shoes but then, the shoes lunges him over a pit but before the shoes could drop him he untied the shoes. So after that accident they sneak in and find Hades. Percy was telling him to give the bolt up until Percy checked the bag Ares gave him and there was the lightning bolt. So Percy gives the lighting bolt up and gives it to Hades. Hades then laid the bolt on the table that is when his wife grabbed the bolt and hit him with the bolt. Then she gave the bolt to Percy. So once they go the bolt back they crushed the Pearls and it took them back to a beach in a California where they run into Ares. Ares starts to attack Percy with a sword which is holding up time so that a war can start but that's when Police come over and try to arrest him. So Ares lets them go so they drive back to NY to get to the Empire state building which is Mount Olympus. Percy has three minutes to return so he sprints down to where Zeus was and handed him his bolt. After Percy returned the bolt to Zeus Camp Half Blood had a party. So Percy went to talk to Gabe. "Gabe told Percy that he shouldn't have lived so Gabe poisons Percy. Then he tells Percy that he rigged the flying shoes so that they would kill him. So Gave leaves the camp and Annabeth finds him on the ground passed out and he doesn't wake up until three days later. They told Percy that Gabe turned rouge on the camp and he is wanted. ( )
  AsaJ.G3 | Dec 19, 2018 |
The Percy Jackson series is a fun fantasy novel based off Greek Mythology. This series is great for probing an interest in mythology as well as just being a fun, action packed, engaging read. ( )
  kfalls1 | Dec 3, 2018 |
Percy Jackson is a 12 year old boy that is half god. Son of Poisiden. Monsters are attacking him everywhere! He escapes to Half-Blood Hill, a camp for half-bloods. He then gets a quest to retrieve Zeus' thunderbolt. Monsters are attacking at every step! Percy is betrayed by someone he trusts.
This book was amazing! We read it as a class novel, and it was VERY suspenseful. Now we are watching the movie and i can't wait!! ( )
  A.Krapfl | Nov 30, 2018 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

4 1938
5 1990

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,574,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible