The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the…

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

16,665950106 (4.09)1 / 627
Member:Rosenectur
Title:The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)
Authors:Rick Riordan (Author)
Info:Scholastic (2006)
Tags:Young Adult

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (939)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (948)
This series is kind of like wine...the more it ages, the better it gets. Having read all five, I am much more favorably disposed towards this book that I was originally, simply because the overall plot of the series is extremely well done, though only the bare beginnings are seen in this installment. The first in the series is cute, light, and very fun. The concept is wonderful, and Riordan does a good job of bringing us into this world of greek heroes living amongst us! I especially adored the voice of Percy Jackson, who narrates everything in what can only be termed as "Boyspeak" in a very believable way. The characters are not quite fully drawn out, and the plot itself is rather episodic, but definitely a promising book that acts as a great lead in to the rest of the series! ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |
This was cute. Not fine or deep, but very cute and GREAT fun for people who think mythology is entertaining. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
Riordan, R. (2005). The Lightning Thief. New York, NY: Disney-Hyperion.

I have heard a lot about this book and this author so I was curious to read it. It wasn't my favorite, but I can see why it's popular and why Riordan has so many series. Mythology is an interesting and fun topic, especially when you combine it with young teenagers.

The character of Percy was fun and the first-person point of view allowed the reader to enjoy Percy's voice in all his sarcastic twelve-year-old glory. Grover and Annabeth were also fun side characters that could have been developed a little more.

The basic plot was simple, with twists and turns, leading to a mediocre climax and ending in a satisfying conclusion. This is the first book of the series and the subplots have enough loose threads to continue on through the rest of the books.

This book would appeal to those that enjoyed the Harry Potter or Charlie Bone series or like mythology, young protagonists overcoming unfavorable odds, and interesting summer camp. ( )
  KellyHedine | Jul 15, 2017 |
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief is a great book for readers who have a fascination with the old Greek myths. Percy is a modern version of Perseus, the demigod of old. He knows that he is different then other kids his age and he mostly attributes this to his dyslexia diagnosis. When he and his mother are attacked on their way out of New York City, Percy discovers that he is the son of Poseidon and a demigod. Overall, it is a good story. However, I was a little disappointed in the way the text handles Percy's dyslexia diagnosis. He is not dyslexia, but the story attributes the diagnosis as something that humans label the demigod children because their brains are trained to read Greek and not English. I wanted Percy to show that this diagnosis is not something that would hold him back from becoming a hero. Instead it is brushed away. ( )
  VClarke | Jul 9, 2017 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,072,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible