The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan

Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)

English (908)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (916)
I love this book because it hooks kids early on. I have had a lot of reluctant readers love this book. It is also excellent because it is the first in a series, and most kids want to continue with the series!
  BrittanySchupman | Jul 24, 2016 |
Sadly this book just did not hold my interest. Could not connect with any of the characters.
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
Summary
The book is taken place in a world that seems mostly normal at first glance, but is actually filled with mythical creatures. The main character Percy goes to a camp for demigods after he discovers that he is also a demigod. Tragedy happens and Zues's grand lightning bolt is missing. It is up to Percy and his two companion to recover it . They go on an adventure fighting all kinds if creatures on the way.

Reaction
I could relate to Percy in this novel. He always felt like he was a little off, just among people where he doesnt belong until he finds the camp with others like him. I also had trouble fitting in. The new app "Pokemon Go" is making it very easy for people like myself to interact with others with the same interest.

Extension
We could teach chidlren about myths and greek gods, learning the stories behind them are very interesting in itself. We could also teach children symbolism of the gods, for example, the trident with symbolizes Poseidon. This will help Children relate symbols to the Greek Gods. ( )
  chywatt | Jul 19, 2016 |
Percy Jackson is a young man with dyslexia who has been kicked out of every school he has attended. At his new school he has made a friend and a mentor teacher but is on the verge of getting kicked out. On a museum field trip, Percy is attacked by his teacher and finds that he has super powers. He returns home to his mom and they go on a trip. During this time he is attacked again and finds out that he must go to a summer camp to be safe. The summer camp is for kids who are descendants of mythological Gods. Percy turns out to be the son of Poseidon and must go a mythical journey to make peace between the Gods and save the planet.
This science fiction book captivates the reader with the story and gives an introduction to a number of mythological stories. I have seen reluctant readers carry this series around and read it during recess. A number of students with major struggles have put in extra work to be able to listen to this series on CD.
  SteveKorin | Jul 13, 2016 |
I'm surprised that I liked this as much as I did. I think a big part of my enjoyment was sharing it with my 7 year old. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,516,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible