The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan

14,084842147 (4.1)1 / 581
Title:The Lightning Thief
Authors:Rick Riordan (Author)
Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)

English (835)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (842)
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

In celebration of finally (after five years) finishing this series (it's me not you), prepare for the reviews of the next books some time soon!

First, I need to admit that I like Greek mythology. Also, I was looking for something that would fill the hole the Harry Potter-series had left. Is this that series? It has similarities but Camp Halfblood is nowhere near Hogwarts.

Percy has tried, but isn't an easy child. He doesn't know why. This changes after events take him to Camp Halfblood and he learns that not only are the Greek Gods still alive, he's the son of one of them. This would be the start of a very nice series that tries to interweave the old myths and stories together with Greek mythology.

And that's what I liked most about the book. It's not always subtle, like Medusa owning an ornamental garden statue shop, but it does make some sense. The story is mostly a bit too the younger side of YA, but that didn't bother me.

One advice: don't watch the awful movie they made from this book! ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
"I first heard of the book way before the movie adaptation was released, so at the time all the media hype began, I had already read the whole series, to be honest. Watching its awful film adaptation made me want to read the whole thing again, so I could disinfect my brain.

This first installment in this five-book series narrates the life of Percy Jackson, a boy of twelve years of age suffering from dyslexia and ADHD. The thing with Percy is that trouble seems to always find its way to him. As a result, schools have constantly rejected him on account of his strange behavior. What other people, much less Percy, fail to notice, is that nothing that happens to him is even remotely normal. Soon he discovers that he is not just one more in the crowd; he is a hybrid, son of one of the Greek gods who happen to live over the Empire State Building.

Fast paced action is the way I would describe The Lightning Thief for each chapter is just filled with it. The story is full of quirky characters both funny and clever, magic, monsters and sword fights. What’s generally appealing with the book (particularly to us guys) is Percy’s voice capturing the traits, fears and mannerisms of any boy his age, along with his witty comments and funny asides thrown in the middle of the narrative.

Aside from Percy, I think the center piece of the book is the Greek Mythology, the element on which the book and the entire series revolves and hinges on. Just this alone is enough to get the attention of Mythology buffs like me; it will likewise pump up the curiosity of readers who haven’t rubbed elbows yet with the Gods and Goddesses of Mt. Olympus. The true beauty of the book lies in how Riordan gives Greek mythology a refreshing take in his believable and fantastic world building, infused in modern settings.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.

The Last Passage
“Take care, Seaweed Brain,” Annabeth told me. “Keep your eyes open.”
“You too, Wise Girl.”
I watched her walk up the hill and join her family. She gave her father an awkward hug and looked back at the valley one last time. She touched Thalia’s pine tree, then allowed herself to be lead over the crest and into the mortal world.
For the first time at camp, I felt truly alone. I looked out at Long Island Sound and I remembered my father saying, The sea does not like to be restrained.
I made my decision.
I wondered, if Poseidon were watching, would he approve of my choice?
“I’ll be back next summer,” I promised him. “I’ll survive until then. After all, I am your son.” I asked Argus to take me down to cabin three, so I could pack my bags for home.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
So much borrowing from Harry Potter! The hero, Percy Jackson, finds out he is a half-blood at age 11 (like Harry) and goes to Half-Blood Camp (Hogwarts?). Three children (two boys, one girl) go on a quest to recover stolen property and save the world. The girl is quite intelligent (Hermoine?), one boy is somewhat of a goofus (Ron?), the third is brave (Harry?). A baseball cap makes the girl invisible (invisibility cloak?). I could go on and on with the similarities. But even with that, I found it amusing to listen to. It is a great way for young people to learn about mythology and it is nice to be able to discuss it with my grand-daughter! I do not think I would enjoy actually "reading" the books, but I will probably listen to the rest of the series. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This was a LONG read-aloud (22 nights, an hour at a time!), but we enjoyed every minute of it. Plenty of plot twists and opportunities to examine clues, interpret character motivations, etc. My son is now even more inspired to read non-fiction everything about Ancient Greece and Rome. I wouldn't have enjoyed this on my own, though. It's much more elementary than the usual young-adult fiction I like to read. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This series has been on my "to read" list for a LOOONG time, but I'm finally getting to it. The books are short, easy to read, and a lot of fun - I would highly recommend this as a starter series - a series to get your kids interested in fantasy/YA/reading in general. Also, the info re: Greek Mythology is accurate (obviously not the part about it being real - but the book was well researched, clearly) - so you have the added benefit that your kid will actually learn something useful while s/he is reading. This isn't strictly a kids book though, it could cross over into YA and is a quick fun read for adults as well. ( )
  BeckyGraham1016 | Aug 5, 2015 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.
Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,721,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible