The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

2010 (76) action (85) adventure (504) children (68) children's (132) children's literature (76) fantasy (1,397) fiction (673) friendship (101) gods (178) Greek (94) greek gods (165) greek mythology (504) juvenile (71) magic (83) monsters (80) mythology (695) Percy Jackson (271) Percy Jackson and the Olympians (103) Poseidon (108) quest (135) read (138) read in 2010 (55) series (299) teen (62) to-read (145) YA (315) young adult (426) young adult fiction (58) Zeus (82)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Malice by Chris Wooding (FFortuna)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Imagicators by Brad Marshland (amazoniac)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar feel in the style of writing and I think if one enjoyed this book they will also enjoy Grimm Legacy
    The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh (panbiot)
    panbiot: Entrambi revisioni di miti classici, ma quello di Marsh un po' meno "hollywoodiano".
    The Shadow Thieves by Anne Ursu (LucindaLibri)

English (747)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (754)
Ok so I have to admit it, I saw the movie before i read the book... and I dont see anything wrong with that! Because it just made me love percy more and more.. and now I want to be a half blood too! ugh. I hate being human!
I loved this book so much that i finished it in 2 days (counting that I had final exams)

I really recommend you this book because you will fall in love with the characters, and the movie? Ohh let's just not alk about it please!
My fav movie eveeer

Love you guys! ( )
  NathaliePolanco | Apr 7, 2014 |
The Lightning Thief(Percy Jackson) by Rick Riordan. Published by Disney-Hyperion. Copyright 2005. pg. 416

Type of Book: Modern Fantasy

Summary: Percy Jackson is a half-blood, half human and half Greek God. He is the son of Poseidon. For the first part of his life he is unaware that he has a Greek God as a dad. After a run-in with a monster at a museum he is taken to the camp Half-blood, which is a camp for kids like him, with Gods as parents. He found out that Poseidon was his father a couple of days into the camp. Poseidon is one of the big three, Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. When Percy found out who his father was, it became a very big deal because after the war the big three made a pack to not have anymore children with mortals. There was a prophecy saying a child of the big three would either destroy or save Olympus by the time they reached the age of 16 years old. After Percy learns who his father is, he also learns of the prophecy, which is only a few years away. Not only does he find out his fate, he also learns that Zeus' lightning bolt has been stolen. Zeus is blaming Poseidon and Hades and they think that they put Percy up to it so they could regain more power over their brother. After many more encounters with monsters and other Greek Gods and also a war between the Gods that could destroy everything in their path, Percy goes on a quest to find the master bolt. He has escaped death multiple times. Percy, with the help of his friends, Grover and Annabeth, a satyr and another demi-god they finally find the bolt in the hands of another demi-god, Luke son of Hermes. Luke wants a war between the Gods because he feels like his father doesn't care and Luke wants to ruin Olympus and bring back the Titans. Percy finally gets the master lightning bolt before the deadline, the Summer Solice and returns the bolt back to Zeus. He defeats Luke for the time being and the war of the Gods does not take place before the Summer Solice. So Percy has restored peace to Olympus and Camp half-blood for the time being.

Response: This book is good for middle schools kids. It shows modern fantasy through that it talks about the Greek Gods and how there are half-bloods as well has half people half goats. Middle school kids would probably enjoy reading a story like this. It is a better way to approach mythology also. Instead of reading the myth books but learning about the Gods through this book also.
  singleton2012 | Apr 7, 2014 |
This book was very exciting to read. I was kept on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. I think this book would be great for reluctant readers and anyone reader who likes suspense.
  nicholew | Apr 1, 2014 |
A great mix of greek mythology and modern day, in an engaging story sure to appeal to early readers and keep them interested. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book over reading the Odyssey. ( )
  Mykake | Mar 23, 2014 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson learns he is a demigod, the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea. His mother sends him to a summer camp for demigods where he and his new friends set out on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible