The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan

Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (908)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (916)
The Lightning Thief is one of my favorite younger readers' chapter books. It delivers a great message to students about how disabilities like ADHD and dyslexia should not act as limiters in their lives, and through a bit of effort and support from friends anyone can accomplish their goal. This book does a terrific job of blending together the Greek myths which are traditional literature with the modernization of society to create a work of modern fantasy. Some of the best parts of the book is the incorporation of traditional literature troupes into the modern fantasy world. An example of this can be seen in the premise of the book. In the book Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon making him a Greek demigod. this really sets up the rest of the book as Percy meets gods like Ares and Zeus on his quest to retrieve a stolen lightning bolt, thus setting up a modern day epic. The blending continues as creature like Medusa are adapted to life in modern day New York. Medusa uses her power to turn people to stone to start a road side lawn statue emporium. Another great thing about The Lightning thief is its treatment of people with disabilities. In the book all the demigods have dyslexia and ADHD, but the author explains that this is because the demigods are just wired differently because of their heritage. The demigods are able to use their disabilities to there advantage to take on tough opponents and accomplish great feats of heroism. Even the smarter demigods Like Annabeth, daughter of Artemis, has these disabilities and are able to create magnificent plans and set up future career goals like becoming architects. The book encourages students to believe in themselves and to not treat themselves as stupid because of their disability. It is because of the use of these myths and the way the book treats people with disabilities that I really like this book. ( )
  tbaker13 | Sep 29, 2016 |
I loved this book, I picked it up on a whim at the bookstore because of the endcap, the movie was just about to come out. Whenever a book is made into a movie i find myself wanting to read the book first. This book was great. I am a huge fan of Harry Potter and these while shorter really brought me back to when i was reading Potter.

Percy comes to find out that he is actually a hero, a son of a moral and a Olympian god. He makes friends and goes on epic adventures to save the gods, who seem to be a judgmental and never really around.

I plan to read them all, and not see the movie until video (heard it was not to par). ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Great series! Now I'll devour the rest! Rick Riordan is quite prolfic! I still contend, James Rollins' Jake series is my fav! ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
The Lightning Thief holds a special place in my heart as the first book to ever hook me into chapter reading. The new twist on ancient Greek mythology mixed with modernism and copious amounts of humor makes this book an easy read for upper level elementary children. As a child I never did enjoy most of the chapter books that I had to read in the classroom. How I wished that teachers would read the Percy Jackson series to us in class. This is why I recommend this book for reluctant readers since it changed how I viewed chapter books from there on out. The book itself is about a boy named Percy Jackson who find outs that he is a half-blood. His father being the Greek god Poseidon. Since this initial reveal, Percy is now relocated to a camp that strives to protect half-bloods from dangerous mythological creatures and villains. However one day Zeus' sacred lightning bolt is stolen and he blames his brother, Poseidon, for the theft. This is where Percy has to intervene and find Zeus' lightning bolt in order to clear his father's name. Queue the actual journey featuring Percy and his company of two, Grover the Satyr and Anabelle. Together they encounter familiar icons in Greek Mythology like: Medusa, the Chimera, the Furies, Cerberus, and Ares, to name a few. Towards the end, Percy manages to return the lightning bolt back to Zeus and decides to stay in camp-half blood. However one of his peers, Luke, reveals to Percy that he was the one that stole the bolt in order to instigate a civil war between the gods under Kronos' command. This reveal paves the way for the next installment of the Percy Jackson series. There are several ways to incorporate literacy activities into this book. The most common activity is letting children research their favorite Greek god or Greek tale. It could have been mentioned in the book or it could be something that was not covered yet. From there they can do a number of things. Write in their reading logs in an expository format, narrative format, or letter format. They can also do product based assessments such as: skits, video projects, and posters. ( )
  wxv002 | Sep 20, 2016 |
Great YA book. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,243,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible