The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan

15,807932112 (4.09)1 / 603
Title:The Lightning Thief
Authors:Rick Riordan (Author)
Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (913)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (921)
I loved this book! I've always had an interest in Greek mythology, so seeing the connection of Greek mythology in modern day life was very entertaining! I would read this book to my class if I was teaching a mythology lesson! ( )
  laurenkt | Oct 20, 2016 |
Percy Jackson, is a good kid, but things are getting hard as he is away at boarding school. He soon finds that his parents weren't who he thought they were.
  Jennifer LeGault | Oct 19, 2016 |
Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon. He has lived with is father Gabe and his mother for most his life. Until one day when a fury attacked him on a school field trip. After that his whole life changed. His best friend Grover turned out to be a satyr (half goat-half human). He moved to Camp Half-Blood for the rest of the school year. But one day he got blamed for stealing Zeus's lightning bolt. If Percy didn't find it by the time the summer solstice is over he would declare war on Poseidon. They thought that Hades Had the lightning bolt so they headed cross country from New York City to California. Percy when on his quest with Grover the satyr and Annabeth daughter of Athena. Together they fought all types of monsters. Met all different gods and traps the gods where playing on them. They beheaded Medusa, survived a bus crash, ect. All to get Zeus's lightning bolt. When they go to the underworld they talk to Hades and figure out the real person who stole the lightning bolt. They also figured out that Hades was missing his Helm of Darkness. They find the Helm of Darkness and return it to Hades. Percy goes to Mount. Olympus to returns to bolt to Zeus. When hes their he gets to talk to his dad for a short time. Percy saves the day and gose back to live with his mom in New York.

I think This book is a good fun read and if you are studying Greek Mythology it teaches you a lot about that as well. I think this book is a good read from 5-8 grade it has some changing words, but pretty easy otherwise. I love this book it is a very good read. I recommend this to any older kids. Its very interesting and sometimes I imagine what it would be like to be Percy Jackson. When you start reading you can't stop. Make sure to read Percy Jackson and the Lightning Theft to find out more. ( )
  AnyaC.B4 | Oct 18, 2016 |
Summary- Percy Jackson is a twelve-year-old kid who lives with his mom and his step dad, Gabe. Percy has never known his real father and doesn’t know that he’s actually in fact a demi-god. His father is the God Poseidon. Suddenly one day a fury attacks him while he’s on a school field trip. His history teacher Mr. Chiron arms Percy with a pen that turns into a sword when it is uncapped. After the fight Percy’s best friend, Grover, takes him home where Percy’s mom drives them to ‘the camp’. On the way there a Minotaur attack them, they are very close to camp so Grover tells Percy to run. They get to the camp border after a battle with the Minotaur. Percy has to stay in the Hermes cabin until his godly father decided to claim him, if he ever claims him.
His father claims him one day after a game of capture the flag. One day Poseidon is accused of stealing Zeus’s master bolt. Zeus claims that if the master bolt is not back by the summer solstice he will declare war on Poseidon. Poseidon enlists Percy’s help to clear his name. Percy’s two best friends at the camp: Grover the satyr and Annabeth the daughter of Athena help him in this quest. They travel to Los Angeles where the Underworld is located to see if Hades has the master bolt. They get there to discover that Hades does not have Zeus’s master bolt and that Hades is actually missing his helm of darkness. Hades accuses Percy of stealing bolt the helm of darkness and the master bolt. It just so happens that while he’s talking to Hades the master bolt appears in his backpack. After they get away from Hades they meet the God Ares. They find out that Ares was the one that stole the helm of darkness and the master bolt. Ares was trying to cause a war between the three big gods. They battle and Percy wounds Ares and then returns the helm of darkness and the master bolt. Percy returns to the camp for the summer and on the last day before he leaves for home he is lured into the woods by his friend Luke. Luke admits to Percy that he was the original thief of the master bolt and helm of darkness. Luke also admits that he serves Kronos and Kronos is planning to defeat the Olympians. Luke leaves Percy in the woods with a poisonous scorpion that stings him. Percy is saved by a wood nymph. Percy is nursed back to health and then he returns home for his seventh-grade year of school.

Personal reaction- This was a favorite book of mine when I was in middle school. I think it was because the main protagonist, Percy was right around the same age as me. I think this book is great for kids because Percy has dyslexia and ADHD, these are two things that every Demi-god has. Because their brains are wired to read ancient Greek, and the ADHD helps them in battle. This lets kids that have these things dream that they have these things because they are just wired differently. It makes them feel like they aren’t weird because this book character has it. I don’t have dyslexia or ADHD but I really identified with Percy because I felt like an outcast in my school. (I wouldn’t figure out until later that I actually wasn’t). I liked this book so much that I read the whole series, and when the second series came out when I was like a junior in high school I read those too. Well I tried to anyway it wasn’t until recently that I actually finished the whole second series. Rick Riordan is a brilliant author that knows how to make a story flow with adventure and emotion. I really loved this book as a kid and I would recommend it to anybody even if they aren’t a kid.

Extension ideas-

Writing- after reading the book students can pick a specific Greek god or goddess that is discussed in the book. After they pick a god or goddess they can write a short essay about what they learned about that god or goddess after reading the book.

Reading- have the students read the story aloud together or read it aloud to them. After each chapter ask questions about what happened in the chapter. Or have them journal about what they thought about the chapter.

Math- incorporate names of characters into word problems.
If Percy had 10 dollars, and gave Annabeth 2 dollars how much money does Percy have left? ( )
  SamanthaPeel | Oct 18, 2016 |
I liked this one enough, but it's not one that i want to buy and read again and again.

One thing i thought was odd was that Rick usually used the Greek names for the gods/demigods/etc. but the name Hercules was used at least 4 times throughout the book. Hercules is the Roman equivalent of Heracles (named after Hera). He might have done this with a few other names i'm unfamiliar with, but that's the only one i caught.

Also, you can tell me Annabeth's smart as much as you want to, but i won't believe you. It took way too long for her to figure out who Percy's dad was.

I did enjoy reading about Greek mythology, though, and i like the concept. I can see why these books were so popular in the 5th-grade class i worked in.

*Reviewed on May 30, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Oct 15, 2016 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.
Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,763,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible