The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)

English (792)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (800)
Can't wait to start the next one. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
One of the reasons that I choose to read this book is because of my fascination with mythology, especially Greek mythology. I absolutely love how natural aspects of life can be related to this god-like superpowers. The Lightning Thief is one of my favorite movies based off of mythology, and now it's one of my favorite books also.
Firstly, I love how the author developed the characters, especially the main character, Percy Jackson himself. Percy thinks discovers early that he is a half-blood, meaning that he is the half son of a God, more so the God of the Sea, Poseidon. Percy is a very relatable character for young kids. He has a few friends and often gets in trouble. He has gotten expelled from every school he has ever attended. He has ADHD and Dyslexia. I feel that all of this makes him relatable to the common younger generation. Percy is confused about life and at times seems alone. He has everyday struggles like school and friends, just like normal children do.
Another thing I liked about this story was how well it was written. The book is actually written as a flashback, seeing that Percy tells the story as he recalls the events of the past year. In Chapter one, the narrator introduces himself, "My name is Percy Jackson." He immediately warns us that the story he is going to tell is quote the story, warning us that reading this is dangerous, with a capital D. I love stories told in first person as they give the reader much more emotion in the words, feeling as if it is the reader experiencing many of these things. In the first few chapters, Percy's mind is running wild, trying to depict whether the events occurring are just coincidence, imagination, or real life. In the first chapter, he even threw a ballpoint pen which turned magically into a sword when his teacher transformed into a beast and attacked him. Sounds pretty imaginative right?
Overall, I love the book. It was intriguing and appealing to all types of readers. I feel the main point of the book is to not only provide the reader with some background knowledge on Greek Mythology, but to also keep them intrigued through a very exciting adventure. ( )
  Andrewturner | Nov 19, 2014 |
Even though this was my second time reading it The Lightning Thief still sucked me. Rick Riordan is an amazing writer. Percy, Annabeth, and Grover are my favorite characters. It's nice to reread Percy's beginning and compare it to his more grown up self. Percy and Annabeth have grown so much, but are still just as lovable. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

------------------------------------------

A fun mix of modern and myth...A Must-Read ~ ( )
  Imane. | Nov 4, 2014 |
After finishing the Harry Potter series I was lost as to where I should go next; what could even begin to compare to Harry Potter? I found my answer when a friend recommended "The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan. The book brought me into a whole new world of fantasy; instead of witches and wizards, I met gods and demigods. Yes I'll admit the language is very childish but I was only 11 at the time I read it and I loved it, I still do. With new friends I dived into a new world, along the way learning about Greek mythology. As well as reading about the quest the three main characters (Percy, Grover, and Annabeth) must complete, the reader learns about the Greek gods and all the different Greek myths that go along with them; another reason I love the book. I was fascinated by all the new information. "The Lightning Thief" is a fun, adventurous, and exciting story that I recommend to anyone who is willing to give it a try. ( )
  Rosaschuchert | Nov 2, 2014 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

Current discussions

[The Lightning Thief] (with spoilers) in Hogwarts Express

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,040,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible