The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan

Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)

English (796)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (804)
Percy Jackson has been expelled from another school after a strange string of events. Monsters are stalking him and his only option is to seek safety at Camp Halfblood. There he learns that he's actually a demigod with powerful abilities. Percy receives a quest from an oracle and must complete it quickly to prevent a war starting amongst the gods. This is the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.

The Lightning Thief is a middle grade, young adult book. It's an amusing and engaging story that gives a modern reinterpretation of Greek mythology.

I reread this book following along with the charming and insightful blog series, Michael Reads Percy Jackson, written by Michael G. Munz. It was fun to revisit the story and get a different perspective on the book chapter by chapter.

Reading the story at a slower pace made me appreciate how each chapter is its own self contained adventure. The humor, action, and pacing kept me engaged and made me want to continue reading.

I loved the story's incorporation of Greek mythology. The story gives it modern twist along with a reimagined portrayal of mythical entities. I liked that it also included references to the original lore and explained relevant myths for those unfamiliar with them.

I've come to adore the characters over the course of the series so it was fun to be reintroduced to them. The world building is fantastic and I liked that the characters were able to visit a number of different settings. The magic system is fun and interesting. I liked how it gave the story more depth and enhanced every fantastical adventure.

The Lightning Thief is a fun and engaging story that introduces a wonderful young adult series. ( )
  eloquent_codex | Dec 15, 2014 |
I got to see this book as a read aloud in a class that I observed and the kids loved it and even would read it on their own! I think this book gives kids a great insight into what it means to live with confidence and there is a lot of mystery.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 9, 2014 |
Percy Jackson is a good kid, despite what many of his schools might tell you. Trouble just seems to follow him around, and his dyslexia and ADHD even further complicates school for him. After being kicked out of a number of schools, Percy ends up at Yancy Academy, where he tries to start anew.

It’s not to be; instead, Percy once again ends up in trouble, but this time, the trouble is unlike any he’s ever experienced before: a Greek fury attacks him on a school field trip! Percy quickly finds out he is a demigod (a child of a Greek god and human parent) and is then whisked away to Camp Half-Blood, a camp for demigods. But which god is Percy’s father? Even more pressing, someone stole Zeus’s lighting bolt, and the god is willing to wage war unless he finds the thief and the bolt--and soon.

Percy Jackson will draw in the most reluctant reader, and although it’s classified as a middle grade book, readers of any age will enjoy the series. A great introduction to Greek mythology, it’s highly likely readers will want to read up more on the mythology. After readers devour this series, check out his other two series: The Heroes of Olympus (with cameos by Percy, based on Roman mythology) and The Kane Chronicles (based on Egyptian mythology). Highly recommended. Grades 5 and up. ( )
  krmajor | Dec 7, 2014 |
Enter Percy Jackson, just your typical middle schooler who’s trying to make it through the year. Having been expelled from six schools in the same number of years, he’s desperately trying to make it work, to make his mom proud. Everywhere he goes, though, something bad happens; it’s really not his fault. What Percy soon finds out is that he is the son of Poseidon, who made a pact with Hades and Zeus not to sire any children, and as such is stuck in a simmering argument between gods. To top it all of, Zeus’s thunderbolt has gone missing, and all fingers are pointing at him, accusing him of trying to incite a war between the gods of Mount Olympus. Together with his two friends, Annabeth, daughter of Athena who’s desperate for a quest, and Grover, a satyr who’s one goal is to be granted a searcher’s pass to find the missing Pan, he must find Zeus’s missing thunderbolt and return it safely to him, proving that he was not the thief, in order to prevent the gods from erupting into a war that could alter the course of humanity. The story moves along nicely, despite the narrative voice sounding strained at times. The plot flows well, and there is enough foreshadowing to set up the premise of a series quite solidly. It’s also interesting to see how the gods have been translated into characters of the 21st century, which creates a new folklore cache for interested children. The action packed story would potentially appeal to reluctant readers, and the structure is fairly easy despite being on the longer side. Recommended for purchase. Ages 10 and up. ( )
  kornelas1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Percy Jackson and the Lightining Thief is a book that will draw many readers in with it's whimsical characters and intense focus on Greek Mythology. The story revolves around Percy Jackson who is sent on an adventure to get back the stolen lightening bolt from Hades, the lord of the underworld. I loved the story, but at times, I felt like some chapters could have been left out due to the slowing of the story. The characters are plentiful and the reader will come to love and hate them. My only concern with this book is if the reader does not now the Greek Gods. The reader may become confuse or lost and it's best if you read up on some of those gods you don't know. Also, for a children's book, I found myself multiple times consulting a dictionary for words I've never seen before. This slowed the pace at which I was reading and kind of angered me a little to get out this fantastic world into a dictionary world. ( )
  Remy_Ferrell | Nov 24, 2014 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,351,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible