The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (931)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (940)
Percy Jackson has always had weird things happening to him. Then, he finds out that he is the son of the Greek god Poseidon!
  morganlasher | Apr 21, 2017 |
Percy Jackson is a book about an average kid who later discovers that he is not so average because his father is a god. Later, he is taken to a camp for kids just like him to keep him safe from everyone after him. They are after him because Zeus blames him for taking his mass weapon of destruction, The Lightning Bolt. After he is safe in the camp, Hades reveals that he has Percy's mother and will not let her go unless he admits he stole the Bolt. Despite his mother telling him not to go, Percy sets an adventure to the Underworld with his friends Annabeth and Grover. Hades gets mad and attacks them, then Percy drops his shield and it breaks in 2 pieces. Once it broke, The Lightning Bolt popped out and Hades is convinced that he stole it. Eventually, they all escape and it is revealed that Aries was trying to start a war between the Big 3 gods. After, Percy returns the Lightning Bolt and suspects that their father, Kronos, is behind it all to rise again. In the end, Percy's friend, Luke, reveals that he serves Kronos and was the original Lightning Thief. Percy gets attacked by a scorpion Luke had left and almost dies from its bite, but is saved and decides to go back with his mom.
  bryajimeneza | Apr 20, 2017 |
Great way to start kids towards the topic of Greek mythology without boring them with facts from a textbook. This series never gets old and can excite students to read. Also, the characters can reflect to students who don't seem to fit in and through the book realize that it's okay to be different and special. ( )
  GaryJohnson5 | Apr 18, 2017 |
An exciting story with reference to Greek mythology, this is the first book in the series Percy Jackson and the Olympians, where main character Percy goes on a quest to retrieve Zeus's lost lightning bolt. Throughout the story, Percy comes to know that he's a demi-god, and son of Greek God Poseidon, and he learns the truth of his past, the truth of his father, and returns the lightning bolt.

This is a fun, fictional fantasy novel for students in the upper elementary grades to early middle school. In the class room, you could use it to introduce mythology, and compare and contrast traditions/descriptions of the Greek gods. ( )
  gabitouriel | Apr 7, 2017 |
I read this really fast because the font was big and I think it was rather short to attract young readers. That aside, I actually really enjoyed it. I watched the first half of the movie already and, to be honest, the book is way better. I prefer 12-year-old Perseus Jackson to 17-year-old Percy Jackson any day. Grover is so faulted and I love him for that. And Annabeth is real and wonderfully quick, almost like a Greek Hermione Granger. I enjoyed the little Greek anecdotes every few pages, and all the myths and legends rolled into one wonderful book. I look forward to the next one. ( )
  kamikaze2011 | Apr 5, 2017 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,788,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible