The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

Info:Miramax (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, YA, american literature, fantasy

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (918)  Spanish (3)  English (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  English (926)
I read this one to my son a few years ago and he is read all the sequels. Great great books, esp for boys. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I've waffled back and forth between 2 and 3 stars, but decided on 3 because if my sons were reviewing it they'd give it 5 stars. They love these books and I can see why. Percy is an appealing character and Riordan writes with lots of energy.

The pink poodle was hard to take though. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
Follow Percy Jackson in his adventure to clear his name. He is told that he stole Zeus's lightning bolt and has to find a way to get it back. This book has fantastic characters, an interesting plot, and a surprise ending that you wont see coming. Great for Upper elementary students and middle schoolers. ( )
  Jorman | Nov 10, 2016 |
While I am writing this review on the first book of this series, I feel as though this review stands for every Percy Jackson book. I first read these books in the fourth grade, and I was hooked instantly. I read these books again 4 years later, the spark was still there. 2 years later, I binge-read the series and the magic had simply gone nowhere. What I'm trying to say is that, regardless of age, these books are beautifully written and tackle topics that could only be discovered with a greater understanding of the world. If you already haven't, I hope you peruse this book, and the series promptly afterwards.
  dbhatia | Nov 9, 2016 |
I did a 2-in-1 review on my blog comparing the book to the movie version. Check it out if you're considering reading or watching!

Riordan introduces Percy Jackson as this 12 year old kid who can't stay out of trouble. He's been to six different schools and is only in sixth grade. It's not all his fault, though, he just happens to have really weird things happen to him. For instance, he is in sixth grade at Yancy Academy, a school for "troubled" kids. While on a field trip with his class, his math teacher who has always had it out for him turns into this winged demon creature and attacks him. After it happens, no one knows what he is talking about and the teacher, Mrs. Dodds, is replaced by a completely different teacher who everyone thinks has been there all year long. Percy thinks he has lost his marbles. It isn't until he and his mom go on a weekend vacation to their favorite cabin on the beach and get attacked by a minotaur that people decide maybe they should start coming clean with the truth. First of all, Grover, Percy's handicapped best friend, turns out to be not-so handicapped and is part goat. Percy's dad is actually an Olympic god, and that is why he ditched Percy and his mom after she got pregnant. Things go from bad to worse with being chased by the minotaur. Percy's mom gets "taken" (seems to be dead, but isn't dead) right as they arrive to the safe haven that they were all trying to get Percy to before he is attacked. The safe haven turns out to be Camp Half-Blood, a summer camp for demi-gods to hang out with each other and practice their fighting skills so that they are protected against monsters out in the real world. After finding out some hard truths about his past and predictions about his future, Percy is given the task of taking a quest. He must find who truly stole Zeus's lightning bolt to prove his own innocence. This quest takes Percy, Grover, and Annabeth across the country in one misadventure after another. There are a lot of twists and turns, mostly regarding people not being truthful about who they say they are or who they are loyal to.

I just loved this book. I loved how Percy is a young kid and it truly reads as though I am reading a 12 year old's thoughts as all of this happens to him. Percy is smart, funny, and witty as well as a bad ass demi-god. I loved the friendships that Percy forms. Grover is his best friend from the start, but once Percy finds out about the truth about Grover, it only brings them closer. There is also Annabeth, the feisty daughter of Athena who wants to hate Percy but needs him as much as he needs her. You can tell there is obvious attraction between the two, but given that they are both 12, Riordan keeps it very innocent and focused on the plot. It was really refreshing.

Overall, this is just a great middle grades/young adult book that is a fun read. It's a fun light read that lets you use your imagination and lets you feel like a kid again. I'm really excited to get my hands on the rest of the series, because I have heard nothing but good things about ALL of Rick Rioardan's books. I'm definitely a fan!

5/5 stars ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,625,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible