The Lightning Thief (Movie Tie-in Edition)…

The Lightning Thief (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Percy Jackson and the… (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Rick Riordan

16,566944107 (4.09)1 / 627
Member:sarahgobe
Title:The Lightning Thief (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Greece for Kids

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (934)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (943)
Attitude and caprice: that's what the gods have here rather than any drive for order or justice. Hades, Zeus, Poseidon and the rest are transposed to modern-day America, as the current seat of Western civilisation, and their vengeful plots are played out in the adventures of teenagers. It's all well done, and works at the children's level with all their own feats and fears thrown in. Percy finds himself on a quest (which will clearly span several books), crossing America, fighting off diner trash and biker dudes, plunging from the St Louis Arch, and resisting the traps and temptations of Las Vegas. He confronts the Underworld at the climax - right down below Los Angeles. Riordan's humour and especially his comic and ironic turns of phrase make it a very entertaining read. ( )
  eglinton | Jun 22, 2017 |
Pretty fun story for a kids book. Some history and lots of details. The film doesn't even come close. It's good, but the book is waaaaaay better.

Can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
It took me so long to read this, I was suffering through half of it, but I didn't want to give up because I desperately want to read the entire series, so I will definitely be reading the next books. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Greek Mythology modernized and updated for middle school. yep. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
My review of the book and rant of the movie: I love this book. I love that the kid has problems like ADHD and dyslexia and is labeled a punk, but that underneath all those labels there is a really good kid who just isn't understood. What really struck me was how open the book was about all his "problems." I've only started delving into young adult fiction because of my friend, Tina, so I don't know how often this topic comes up in books. Anyway, I like that the book uses his disabilities to show that he is actually very special. Not that his issues are bad and that he's a bad kid; he's just created to be something different and lead an extraordinary life. I don't know, I hope that the book helps kids who are ADHD and dyslexic feel a little less self-conscious about their disabilities and more open to realizing their own full potential because of their disabilities - what makes them special? What talents do they possess that they might not have if they didn't have ADHD or dyslexia or whatever?

I loved all the action and the mythology. It was fun to try to remember what little I learned in college (I got a C in my required mythology class). The action though, that was a lot of fun. I love the adventures they went on and the places they traveled too. I loved Auntie M's!!

So why not five stars? Because I found a lot of similarities to Harry Potter. Three kids - a boy main character, a really smart and sassy girl, and a goofy sidekick boy (although Ron Weasley is more than that and Grover is more than that, but realistically, isn't that the forumla?); adventures, kids fighting evil, one really big bad evil making it's presence slowly reknown....Voldemort! Meh...I don't know.

Mostly I thought the book was really original and fun. But then there were just somethings that felt like pure pulls from Harry Potter.

My Movie Rant: While listening to the book I got so excited about the book and the adventures that I had to see the movie. Oh. My. Gosh!!! If you haven't read or seen the book, you need to make a choice. Read the book and not watch the movie. Or watch the movie and not read the book. Because, not only was the movie not like the book, the movie was REALLY not like the book!! I mean more than usual! I was soooooooo upset! It's like they read the book and said, Yes, Percy Jackson, kid of of a Greek God, has to get a lightning bolt, has two pals, great! We'll take that and leave the rest out. Because pretty much everything in the book was junked for the director's own vision for the movie (funnily enough, Chris Columbus directed the first Harry Potter movie in which he barely changed anything). All the cool stuff about the book - gone. And the movie not nearly as entertaining as the book.

So decide but don't do them both.

Book Synopsis: Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,159,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible