The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2005)

by Rick Riordan

13,875837150 (4.1)1 / 579
Member:Lisa_Wojcik49
Title:The Lightning Thief
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Puffin (2005), Edition: UK edition-first printing, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)

English (830)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (837)
The Percy Jackson series is great for middle school students. Percy discovers he has magical powers and must stop a war between Greek Gods. He goes on an epic journey to save the world! These are exciting adventure stories that will keep students reading. This book has won many awards and is honored on many book lists. A few of the awards include: Rebecca Caudill Young Readers Award 2009, Red House Children's Book Award 2007, and the School Library Journal Best Book of the Year Award 2005.
  PikeH | Jul 26, 2015 |
A great first book in a series that(for the most part) only improves from here! Young Percy Jackson is a teenager who's thrust into the world of Greek gods and myths that are altogether entirely real, with Olympus being high above New York City! It is revealed he is the son of one of these deities, with powers that even he cannot fully understand or wield just yet, and he and his friends have adventures whilst trying to recover Zeus' stolen lightning bolt. Overall it is enjoyable, but could use some better pacing and characterization, most of which is solved in subsequent novels. ( )
  LisDavid15 | Jul 25, 2015 |
Reread January 2015

For those who do not know, this series is one of my favorites. My love for this series is beyond imaginable. Uncle Rick has provided me with years of wonder, adventure, and excitement. This may be my millionth time marathoning Percy Jackson and the Olympians, but it still feels like the first. On to the next!

My other favorite series: Harry Potter, [b:Unwind|764347|Unwind (Unwind, #1)|Neal Shusterman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1297677706s/764347.jpg|750423] ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Awesome! I was not really sure I wanted to read the series when everyone had suggested it. Kelsey, my beastly bff and book enthusiast, suggested it to me. She said it was wonderful and I was sure I'd get around to reading it sometime. Then, my dad read it. He raved about it. That finally did me in. I picked it up 3 nights ago and WOW, was I amazed at this book. It's so fun and fast paced! Riordan did an excellent job on this first novel. I loved how the Greek mythology was put into the book; I love all books with historical 'tidbits' in it. The characters were so wonderfully described, you were able to feel what they felt. You got attached very easily to each of them... even poor Hades. I was unsure how the half-blood thing would pan out at the beginning, what with the kids at the camp being "half-god"... suggesting their mortal parents had a fling with an Olympian... but it really was a cool concept. I enjoyed how flawlessly it played into the story.

I was presently surprised at how awesome it really was. I'm starting the second one the minute I'm done typing this review! I am also going to watch the movie this weekend.

I've been converted into a true Percy Jackson fan!! ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
I'm 27 now and found it too kiddish. Don't get me wrong. Ive read the harry potter series and loved them so much that I saw all their movies and played their pc games too. But this one is too predictable on a lot of occassions:
1) bad guy comes, irritates/tortures hero, hero does a strike move, wins, praise, cheesy dialogues and lots of "how did i do that". it gets boring pretty fast.

2) hero asks qs, answered with riddles, more qs more riddles, someone else comes into the picture who is very reputed and conversation stops. this someone else regards hero in a low manner but after (1) above holds him high.

the same cycle repeating endlessly. so i stopped halfway through the book. too bad i wont read the rest of the series. ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible