The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2005)

by Rick Riordan

13,032792175 (4.11)1 / 557
Member:Lisa_Wojcik49
Title:The Lightning Thief
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)

English (783)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (791)
TheLightning theif is a really good book. It makes you blow your mind.The Lightning Theif tells about Percy Jackson his best friend Grover and this girl nameed Annabeth went on a mission to go find the Lighning bolt from Zeus.The book is really good so far but,i get really confusted when all the monsters come and try to get percy jackson and his friends.I love the book I read the book every day for like 20 or 30 mins and to me that is really long.The book is like your friend makes you want to read it over and over again that is how good it is. ( )
  Thompsond.g1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
I really like The Lightning Theif and it is pretty amazing.It tells you about the greek and godesses and it is actullay cool.I like the book because it tells me that we can learn about the gods and godesses.I sometimes get mad because they change the whole book around from the movie and the book and they get me confused. ( )
  Domoniquet.b4 | Oct 23, 2014 |
In The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson, a trouble-making dyslexic student, is now at his sixth school in six years. He has been expelled from every other school for his behavior. Percy is then witnessing strange occurrences like his pre-algebra teacher Mrs. Dodds attacking him during a field trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Percy is then sent to Camp Half-Blood, a camp for half-kid half-gods. He then learns a new side of himself and about his history. Percy discovers he is the son of Poseidon, god of the sea. When the news that Zeus's master lightning bolt is missing, he instantly blames it on Poseidon and Percy is to fix it before the summer solstice arrives. To fix this problem, Percy gathers his best friend Grover, who is a satyr, and Annabeth, the daughter of Athena. He is then to travel to Los Angeles to enter the gates of the underworld to meet with Hades, the god of the underworld to see if he was the thief of the master bolt. When they arrive int he underworld Percy speaks with Hades only to find the he too is missing his own status symbol, the helm of darkness. Hades accuses Percy of stealing both items and gets angry. To make matters worse, the lighting bolt materializes into his backpack. Percy barely escapes Hades's rage. Percy, Annabeth and Grover all end up on Santa Monica Beach where they conveniently meet Ares. While Percy is interrogating Ares, he discovers that Ares stole the helm and the lightning bolt from someone else. It was his fault that the gods were about to have a war on each other while Ares watches comfortably. Percy and Ares fight on the beach with hundreds of people watching. Percy ends up winning by hitting Ares with a high-pressure wave and then stabs him in the ankle with his sword. Percy then claims the helm of darkness and proceeds on his journey. He takes a plane back to New York and makes his way up to Mount Olympus by going to the 600th floor on the Empire State Building. He then meets his father, Poseidon, and Zeus for the first time. He tells them everything about his journey and his dreams. Zeus is annoyed and Poseidon sends him back down to Camp Half-Blood. Percy is then called over by Luke, a friend at the camp, and Luke tells him that eh was the original thief of the lightning bolt and the helm of darkness and that he works for Kronos, the father of the titans, and that Kronos wants them destroyed. Luke then disappears and leaves a poisonous scorpion behind and it stings Percy. He is later healed and heads back to live with his mother in Queens, New York.

I enjoyed this book a lot. For the first book in the series, I thought it was awesome. It was full of interesting characters and events. I liked this book mostly of the battles and action. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in action. I would rate this a 4 1/2. ( )
  KendallP.B1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Summary:

A modernized adventure with ties to Greek mythology, involving a young Percy Jackson discovering he is a demigod. As his adventure begins, he must leave his home in New York and travel to Camp Half Blood where he meets other demigod teens and discovers that he is not the only teenager who is different. Percy discovers that he is the son of Poseidon while at Camp Half Blood before he begins the ultimate adventure of recovering the lightning bolt that had been stolen from Zeus. After many challenges and discoveries about himself and the community of demigod teens, Percy returns to his mother's house after she is safely returned by Hades.

Personal Reaction:

I can understand why this is a popular book with young adults and I appreciate the qualities that Percy and the other demigods have that teenagers may find very relatable. For students familiar with Greek mythology this may be an interesting extending storyline - and for students unfamiliar with Greek mythology this book could be a great introduction to elements of Greek mythology. I would definitely suggest this book (because of it's modern influence) to students who may be uninterested in reading traditional literature.

Extension Ideas:

1 - Students can create a complete "fakebook" for an assigned character from the book to share with the class. (Creative writing assignment.)

2 - First students will read the text, then students will watch the movie to complete a Venn Diagram for a compare and contrast exercise. ( )
  MaryMK | Oct 20, 2014 |
Read this because of my inextricable attraction to Greek mythology. Much better than I expected and passed the time waiting for appointments with my GP!

***

Nothing like watching your relatives fight, I always say.

I have an inexplicable obsession with Greek mythology. My parents gave me a picture book with a number of retellings of the myths (without the naughty bits, of course) when I was a kid which definitely started the whole thing, but I can't explain the persistence of this, and not, for example, my love affair with Dragonball Z. However, here we are.

This modern day tale, loosely based on various aspects of Greek mythology, casts a dyslexic kid with ADHD in the role of Perseus, and sends him off on his merry adventuring way. Percy is a reasonably likeable kid, though I would absolutely have hated him had I been his contemporary at school. If there's one flaw, it's that his voice is very young in these books, and, I would say, inconsistent with his age in many parts of the book. It's made clear that Percy grows up a lot over the course of the novel, and that he has a lot to deal with at home, which he seems to have a reasonably deep understanding of even at the start of the novel – his understanding of the dynamics of his mum's relationship for example. As such, I found it somewhat baffling that he so often sounds so utterly juvenile. Fair enough at the start of the book, where Riordan's trying to showcase “wild-child” personality, but I felt like by the end of the book the character had outgrown the box that the author was trying to squash him into with the dialogue he was giving him.

I liked all the little twists on the Greek stories that occur throughout the book. Some of them are obviously a bit shoehorned in, but I found it still worked quite well. Also, I'm a sucker for stories that involve boarding school/camp type things. I don't know if it's my inner only child that somehow thinks it would be great to be around peers all the time (and also recoils from any such suggestion!) but there's something fascinating about scenarios where children and young adults break away from their families at such a young age.

This is a really good book for children who are less likely to read, I think, and it definitely feels like a boy book, which is outside my usual reading. For all it's flaws – it is rather simplistic and clunky – I think I'll be reading the next one. Also, I think it's a pretty good introduction to Greek mythology – and indeed the concept of mythology – for the very young. I give The Lightning Thief six and a half out of ten. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible