The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2005)

by Rick Riordan

13,401811163 (4.11)1 / 562
Member:Lisa_Wojcik49
Title:The Lightning Thief
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Puffin (2005), Edition: UK edition-first printing, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)

English (802)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (810)
It was very enjoyable
I had previously watched the movie and enjoyed it so i decided to read the book. I was not disappointed the book is much better then the movie. There is something always happening and it it overall really a fun read.The writing was a bit simplistic for my likely but as this is a middle grade book it is to be expected
  KatesReviews | Jan 24, 2015 |
This probably ranks as my all-time favorite book. I read it several times since I was a kid. I have always been interested in Greek Mythology and magical powers and this book seemed to combine these ideas with an action-packed novel that is exciting for all ages. The idea of Percy being the historic "Perceus" is clever and the "camp Half-Blood" was also very intelligent. I enjoyed the use and development of each person's powers and satisfied my childish desire to be a superhero. The teenage characters were very relatable and I thought that the main characters nautical-centered powers were exciting.I read each book by the author and all of the spin-off series and have continued to enjoy them as I have grown up. I would recommend this book as a starter for young teens.
  TimSher | Jan 22, 2015 |
This book is about a brave boy named Percy Jackson. In his sixth year of school, he gets taken to a camp named Camp Half-blood. While he stays, he learns about sword fighting and archery; and the best of all he is the son of Poseidon. Then, he goes on a quest to retrieve Zeus’s master lighting bolt with a smart girl named Annabeth Chase and a satyr named Grover Underwood.
I like this book because I really like there were a lot of actions and at the same time a lot of mythology. I would rate this book 9 out of 10. ( )
  AB4Books | Jan 21, 2015 |
Excellent YA fantasy. It's a nice twist on the usual "special kid" fantasy trope. Everything happens within the created world is consistent, believable, and feels fresh. I tend to use quick reads like this as "palate cleansers" between heavier works, and #2 is already in the to-read pile, waiting. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Not interesting enough to finish. Sorry, Riordan. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,100,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible