The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2005)

by Rick Riordan

16,227935108 (4.09)1 / 618
Member:Lisa_Wojcik49
Title:The Lightning Thief
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Puffin (2005), Edition: UK edition-first printing, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn (kgriffith)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.

English (925)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (934)
To say I love this book and the author would be an understatement. The characters, the plot, the writing style, are all without comparison, Rick Riordan was touched by the The Nine Muses.

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief is is the first book in the series about a young boy that never quite fit in, after a series of strange events Percy discovers that not only are the Greek Gods and monsters real they want him dead. Percy goes from Percy the troubled boy to Percy the demigod and son of Poseidon, he and his friends are tasked to find Zeus’s stolen lightning bolt and if they fails the world as Percy knows it will end.

Percy Jackson is the perfect book to introduce and captivate young minds who may not be into reading, having said that I would recommend this to most anyone, older readers will enjoy this series and will take things from the book that they may not have understood when they were younger. ( )
  Arabbitinwonderland | Feb 1, 2017 |
Summary: Percy Jackson is a struggling student. He happens upon some adventures to find out that he's not the person he thought he was. He's a son of a god and is sent on a quest with two friends. It's a lesson on life & the Greek myths.
Personal Response: I heard Rick Riordan speak a couple months ago. He was a great speaker and really inspired me to start reading his books! My son loves his books and I wanted to see if it would be a good read aloud for 4th graders (it could be, maybe with some prior learning). I like the way Riordan incorporates kids who are a little different in real life and helps turn their differences into strengths through his stories.
Curriculum Connections: mythology; adventure ( )
  schubert_stacey | Jan 27, 2017 |
Percy Jackson and the Olympians is about a troubled kid with ADD who keeps getting kicked out of private schools. One day he discovers that he is a demigod, half human, half Greek god. He is whisked away to Camp Half-Blood when his mother is kidnapped. At the camp he discovers that he is the son of Poseidon, the god of the seas and is accused of steeling Zeus's lightning bolt. He goes on a quest with his friends Annabeth and Grover (a centaur) to find his mom after hearing a prophecy. The three heroes encounter fantastic creatures and eventually travel to the underworld to clear his name and save his mom. I thought that this book was super creative and fun to read. The plot is interesting and it has really witty dialogue. Another thing that I appreciated about this book was that the characters were relatable. Percy is ADD and has a hard tie in school. Grover is insecure and kind. Annabeth is considered bossy and a know-it-all. All three characters are not perfect and have flaws which I think is easier for kids to relate to. I would definitely recommend this to my future students.
  siobhan.mcsweeney | Jan 18, 2017 |
The Percy Jackson books just aren't as good as Harry Potter. They are more juvenile, and just don't keep my interest. My 8 yr old liked them though. ( )
  flyboysgu | Jan 13, 2017 |
Perfectly fun, but the writing isn't exactly compelling. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:16 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,371,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible