The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2005)

by Rick Riordan

13,498815161 (4.1)1 / 567
Member:Lisa_Wojcik49
Title:The Lightning Thief
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Puffin (2005), Edition: UK edition-first printing, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (alcottacre)
    Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming (infiniteletters)
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Powerless by Matthew Cody (Runa)
    Runa: Both series feature middle school aged kids who have superpowers, working together to solve mysteries and take down larger-than-life bad guys.
    The Blood Guard by Carter Roy (foggidawn)
    Frostborn by Lou Anders (FFortuna)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)

English (807)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (815)
3-1/2 stars

For anyone who has read the book and seen the movie, you will realize that there are many, many differences between the two. Let's start with the most glaring. In the movie, Percy is a teenager, high school age-ish. In the book, he is 12. Now, for some, this difference would be disturbing. For me, I don't know, the way some of the events play out seems to work better with him being younger. The writing plays to the younger demographic well, and with the middle grade set being the target audience, it is well written.

In the final chapters I noticed two fairly glaring editing errors, with the omission of a word, in one case "and" that made the flow stutter a little, hence the rating. But beyond that, the story is well written, fun and engaging. I am far from the target demographic, and I read the book in under 36 hours, with probably 3 or so hours of reading time, according to my Kindle app.

I found the characters believable and enjoyable. I wish there had been a little more descriptiveness of the boundary between camp and the mortal world, or of camp itself, of Cabin Three, et cetera, but otherwise, I enjoyed the story and I think most of my fantasy-reading readers will as well. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
3-1/2 stars

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Awesome book. My dad made me read it because I liked the movie so much. At first, I said, "I already saw the movie! Why would I want to read the book?" He insisted. I read it. I loved it. After I read the book, I started to really dislike the movie. It's awesome, but strays really far from the book. If you loved the movie, you should definitely read the book. It's an awesome read. ( )
  FanOfStarWars | Feb 14, 2015 |
vPercy Jackson
Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson
Have you ever gone to school and be attacked by an ugly hideous vicious hungry desperate monster or demon that wants to kill you and take something that you don`t have away from you? Well in this story it is about a boy named Percy Jackson that never had a normal life because strange things was always happening to him. But one day he learned something that would change his life forever.
Rick Riordan first started out his career as a newspaper writer in college then he started to write more and more until someone came to him and said you are a very great writer you should write some stories.
Percy then tells his mom his tired so his mom tells Percy to pack his things and they`ll go on vacation then they were attacked and Percy got into camp Half Blood later on in the story he goes on a quest to find the lightning bolt and save his mom.
Percy is like any other person except he`s courageous and smart. Annabeth is a tomboyish girl she is tough and strong. Grover is a funny scary mythical animal and has a quest of his own.
This is a book about becoming a hero.
This book made me feel like I am part of the story and it is so good that even on my time off I am still reading it.
I would recommend this book to the guys/girls who like adventures Greek gods and mythical things like a centaur.
Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson
This is a book about becoming a hero.
The book is a great book for all ages even if you can`t read on the level this book is on. ( )
  bigDeAndre | Feb 5, 2015 |
It was very enjoyable
I had previously watched the movie and enjoyed it so i decided to read the book. I was not disappointed the book is much better then the movie. There is something always happening and it it overall really a fun read.The writing was a bit simplistic for my likely but as this is a middle grade book it is to be expected
  KatesReviews | Jan 24, 2015 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description

In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,799,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible