The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (original 2006; edition 2005)

by Rick Riordan

12,695772187 (4.12)1 / 544
Member:Lisa_Wojcik49
Title:The Lightning Thief
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Puffin (2005), Edition: UK edition-first printing, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (2006)

Recently added bycabeludo, private library, drhapgood, sreeparna, sncase1, buriedinsatin, blog_gal, tslayton, sewarren
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (alcottacre)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (foggidawn)
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz (caroljeanr)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: More of Riordan's magic in a different local.
    Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although it is set in Ancient Greece, not modern times, Nobody's Princess and its sequel Nobody's Prize take a similarly fun and irreverent view of Greek mythology.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (al.vick)
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus (foggidawn)
    Hero by Mike Lupica (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.
    Slayers by C. J. Hill (kaledrina)
    Temping Fate by Esther Friesner (bell7)
    bell7: Another humorous, updated take on Greek mythology.
    Malice by Chris Wooding (FFortuna)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Imagicators by Brad Marshland (amazoniac)
    Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs (Runa)
    Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe Garcia Mccall (rarm)
    The Akhenaten Adventure by P. B. Kerr (al.vick)
    The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar feel in the style of writing and I think if one enjoyed this book they will also enjoy Grimm Legacy
    The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh (panbiot)
    panbiot: Entrambi revisioni di miti classici, ma quello di Marsh un po' meno "hollywoodiano".
    The Shadow Thieves by Anne Ursu (LucindaLibri)

English (763)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (771)
Summary: This book is told in first person and it begins with PErcy JAckson who is a twelve year old boy who has ADHD and dyslexia. He is always expelled from school. The story continues as PErcy takes adventures and there are many symbols that are throughout this book.
Personal Experience: I am not big on fantasy or greek mythology. This book was hard for me to understand and get into because of all the mythology that was displayed. I feel like this book would be great for a boy who loves fantasy and could put themselves in Percy's shoes.
Classroom Extensions: Students need to break down this book. They need to summarize each chapter. THey can then do a cause/effect and a compare/contrast on the boarding school and regular school (talked about in the book)
  atinney16 | Jul 24, 2014 |
While my 9 year old loved this book, it was very "eh" to me. The story is fun, but seems a bit simplistic to me, and the resolutions left much to be desired for me, as an adult. ( )
  HippieLunatic | Jul 16, 2014 |
Excellent novel. The characters have charm and I appreciate Greek mythology. The movie was dreadful. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Fantastic story for anyone that that's a fan of Greek mythology. Significantly better than the movie. Tore through it in no time at all. Written for middle school age readers, but I think older readers can enjoy this series just as much. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
Wow. I was kind of shocked that a book woven with Greek gods and myths could be written so well--but I like it.

I just go back to my original statement: The myths are awesome stories. Seriously, of course they make for good story-telling. So good.

This is a good book for anyone interested in Greek mythology, or for those who think they might be interested. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
"The Lightning Thief" is perfectly paced, with electrifying moments chasing each other like heartbeats, and mysteries opening out in sequence. The action never feels gratuitous; it draws its depth from the myths at its source.

Riordan's fast-paced adventure is fresh, dangerous, and funny.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Chris Sherman

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Haley,
who heard the story first
Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood.
"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality." Chiron p. 155
This LT work is the first volume (of five) in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Percy Jackson is the son of Poseidon, the Sea God. Percy never knew this until he goes to Camp Half-Blood. The Gods want to kill Percy because he is the son of one of the main gods whom had made a promise not to have any more children. Zeus' master lightning bolt had also been stolen and Percy named the prime suspect. Percy, Grover, and Annabeth go on a quest to find Zeus lightning bolt. In the midst of a series of adventures they get tricked by Ares the God of War. Eventually, they discover that Ares took the lightning bolt and tricked Percy into carrying it. Percy must deliver the bolt or war will ensue.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786838655, Paperback)

Book Description In this stunning collectors' edition of The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson's world is brought to life with eight full-color plates by the series jacket artist John Rocco. The edition comes in an elegant slipcase with a ribbon bookmark, rough edges, and cloth cover--a perfect keepsake for fans of this truly epic series.

After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

This first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.

A Note for Amazon Customers from Illustrator John Rocco

Dear Readers,

When I was about eight years old I had the great luck of stumbling upon my father’s collection of Classics Illustrated comic books. I instantly fell in love with the stories of Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, H.G. Wells, and James Fenimore Cooper. Many years later, when I became interested in illustration, I discovered the beautiful hardbound editions of these stories featuring the arresting artwork of incredible artists like N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, and Maxfield Parrish. What I love about their paintings is not just the beautiful draftsmanship, color and composition, but their ability to capture a moment that held the promise of swashbuckling adventure. That promise let me know that if I read the words surrounding that picture, I could unlock the adventure.

That promise is what I tried to achieve when creating the pictures for this incredible series. My approach has never been just to describe a scene from the book, but to create an illustration that offers tension and mystery--an image that provides just enough information to leave the viewer wanting to know more.

When I was asked to create images for the Deluxe Edition of Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief it was a dream come true. It was my chance to illustrate what I consider to be a new classic. The Lightning Thief has so many wonderful moments it was difficult to choose what to paint, but I knew I wanted to create a balance of dramatic scenes and quiet moments and to capture the spirit of Rick’s unforgettable characters. It has been my own great adventure to help bring this book to life in a new way, in color, on the page.

I hope you enjoy this Deluxe Edition of The Lightning Thief.

Yours,

John

Illustrations from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Deluxe Edition
(Click to Enlarge)

Percy and a Nereid Percy and Annabelle on their way to Las Vegas Percy at the Entrance to Mount Olympus

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141319135, 0141329998, 0141330007

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible