The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

The Ruins of Gorlan (2004)

by John Flanagan

Series: Ranger's Apprentice (1)

English (152)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (157)
As an orphan, Will has been living in curiosity about his past life, little does he know that a man that roams the castle grounds has one of those answers to one of those questions. This man soon becomes Will's mentor, and Will, his apprentice as Will grows up, this man teaches Will to become a warrior ... a Ranger.

John Flannagan has introduced me to a world of adventure and danger and I loved reading it because there were so many characters I idolised in the book.

4.5 stars
(on behalf of firelion (age 10)) ( )
  firelion | Apr 3, 2019 |
My child read this book to me. John Flanagan is a great writer and keeps the adventure going with a great deal of humor as well as suspense. His books are always laugh out loud, snorting, catch your breath to continue reading. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
From Booklist
*Starred Review* Gr. 5-8. Like the other 15-year-old wards of Castle Redmont, Will is nervous about Choosing Day, when each of them will be assigned to a different master for training. Though his dearest wish is to enter the Battleschool, his small stature prevents it. Instead, Will is apprenticed to the grim-faced, mysterious Ranger. Soon Will learns that becoming a ranger is more difficult, dangerous, and worthwhile than he had imagined. He earns the respect of his elders and the friendship of a former foe, but all this is prelude to the great adventure that follows, when his skills wielding a knife and keeping a heightened awareness of his surroundings become vital to the survival of his mentor and the safety of the kingdom. The last few years have seen the publication of many fantasies, but few have the appeal of this original story. Rather than creating a host of strange creatures and magical powers, Flanagan concentrates on character, offering readers a young protagonist they will care about and relationships that develop believably over time. Will's world is a colorful place, threatened by an evil warlord and his fierce minions, but it's the details of everyday living and the true-to-life emotions of the people that are memorable. Children will definitely look forward to the next adventure in the Ruins of Gorlan series. Carolyn Phelan
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved ( )
  fifthelecoach | Oct 20, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book! I was hooked from the very start. The premise is very unique, and the story is awesome! I wasn't a huge fan of Flanagan's writing style; there was a bit too much description for me. And he totally did what my sister and her writing friends refer to as 'the backstory dump'. *shudders* My only other issue was the amount of language. I wasn't expecting there to be any, so it was rather disappointing. There wasn't a ton, thankfully, and they were all pretty mild. But enough to bug me. It was completely unnecessary in each of the instances used.

I love the characters; they each had depth and unique personality. My favorite is Halt. I love his sarcasm and seriousness! Will is also great too. I often find MCs to be rather cliché, and I don't often relate to them, but I really liked Will. I liked Alyss too, but I felt she was a bit underdeveloped. Jennie was so sweet; I could totally relate to her! And George. I am a combination of George and Jennie. ;)

The story line was great; Not a lot was wrapped up, obviously because this is a series. The ending was phenomenal! I knew what was going to happen, but I didn't KNOW what was going to happen! I knew Halt knew Will's dad, but I wasn't expecting Will's dad to have saved Halt! I LOVED it! So so cool!

AND THOSE KALKARAS!!! Whew! Those things are CREEE-epy! I am not usually a timid person, but those creatures are enough to terrify a grown man! ;)

All in all, I really enjoyed this book and am excited to read the rest! ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
Fairly predictable fantasy. ( )
  rakerman | Sep 18, 2018 |

Flanagan, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corneille, LaurentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hermoso Oliveras, Julio IgnacioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

For Michael
MORGARATH, LORD OF THE MOUNTAINS OF RAIN AND Night, former Baron of Gorlan in the Kingdom of Araluen, looked out over his bleak, rainswept domain and, for perhaps the thousandth time, cursed.

The international bestselling series with over 5 million copies sold in the U.S. alone!

They have always scared him in the past—the Rangers, with their dark cloaksand shadowy ways. The villagers believe the Rangers practice magic that makes them invisible to ordinary people. And now 15-year-old Will, always small for his age, has been chosen as a Ranger's apprentice. What he doesn't yet realize is that the Rangers are the protectors of the kingdom. Highly trained in the skills of battle and surveillance, they fight the battles before the battles reach the people. And as Will is about to learn, there is a large battle brewing. The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is gathering his forces for an attack on the kingdom. This time, he will not be denied. . . .

Perfect for fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, T.H. White’s The Sword in the Stone, Christopher Paolini’s Eragon series, and George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Watch a QuickTime trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

When fifteen-year-old Will is rejected by battleschool, he becomes the reluctant apprentice to the mysterious Ranger Halt, and winds up protecting the kingdom from danger.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,844,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible