Manitou Canyon by William Kent Krueger

Since the violent deaths of his wife, father, and best friend all occurred in previous Novembers, Cork O’Connor has always considered it to be the cruelest of months. Yet, his daughter has chosen this dismal time of year in which to marry, and Cork is understandably uneasy.
His concern comes to a head when a man camping in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness goes missing. As the official search ends with no recovery in sight, Cork is asked by the man’s family to stay on the case. Although the wedding is fast approaching and the weather looks threatening, he accepts and returns to that vast wilderness on his own.
I did enjoy this book but I would have to say that it is not one of his best books. I liked reading about the family getting ready for Jennie's wedding but the main plot really didn't hold my attention too much. It lacked the excitement of some of the other books and I was a bit bored throughout. The writing was the same and I loved his descriptions where you feel like you are part of the story. I do look forward to the next book and would recommend this series as it is one of my favorite. I will forgive Mr. Krueger and just hope for a better story next time. ( )
  EadieB | Feb 28, 2018 |
When Lindsay and Trevor Harris ask Cork to search for their grandfather, he agrees even though he was part of the search that found no trace of him. Two weeks before his daughter’s wedding Cork heads off with Lindsay to the Boundary Waters to see if something has been overlooked. Then he and Lindsay are abducted and also disappear. While Cork tries to stay alive and figure out the purpose of the abduction, his family organizes and investigates on the home front.
This is another quality entry in the series. As usual, the plot is good. Although, in retrospect, I recognized a few clues strewn along the way, I was completely surprised by the twist at the end. And the ending is a thriller.
Cork is a tough, resourceful guy but part of what makes the series so appealing are his fallibilities. He is ogichidaa, one who stands between evil and his people, but he blames himself for the evil he has not been able to stave off: the death of his wife, the shooting of his son and the many young Indian girls he was unable to save from sexploitation in Windigo Island. As his wise old friend Henry Meloux said:
“Sometimes a man walks into the night and does not understand why he cannot see. He blames himself for the dark he is in. I think that is Corcoran O’Connor.”
By the end of the book, with the help of one of his abductors, Cork achieves some acceptance that evil will exist despite his efforts and he needs to be satisfied that he has done his best. ( )
  jwrudn | Dec 24, 2017 |
This was a great escape read. It sucks you in and wonder until the end, but doesn't give one nightmares. ( )
  EllenH | Oct 11, 2017 |
  EllenH | Feb 8, 2017 |
Cork's search for a missing architect and builder turns ugly as he and the man's granddaughter travel into the Boundary Waters Wilderness. Captured by members of a First Nation terrorist group; they become hostages to a plot to destroy a power dam. Relationships are strained and new allegiances form as the trip continues. Canada is invaded. The RCMP joins the pursuit; well at least one Mountie. Villains are dispatched and many happy endings ensue. Could be a fine ending to this quite good series or Mr. Krueger could delve into the past to tie up loose ends:. Cork's early career and how he and Henry meet come to mind. Read(sic) as a well narrated, audio book by David Chandler. These media, while much slower than actual reading, are great companions for my many auto trips around the North East. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 29, 2017 |

Cork O'Connor has always considered November to be the cruelest of months, yet his daughter has chosen this dismal time of year in which to marry. When a man camping in Minnesota's Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness goes missing, Cork is asked by the man's family to stay on the case. The wedding is fast approaching, the weather looks threatening, but Cork doesn't return from the search. Locating Cork's campsite, they find blood-- a lot of it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,537,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible