The Gift (Pellinor) by Alison Croggon

The Gift (Pellinor) (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Alison Croggon

Member:blucatgirl
Title:The Gift (Pellinor)
Authors:Alison Croggon
Info:Walker Books Ltd (2004), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Traded
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read 2013

The Naming by Alison Croggon (2002)

Sabriel by Garth Nix (geophile)
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (Nikkles)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The protagonist who starts from humble beginnings to become a powerful mage may be a cliche, but in both these series beginnings there is a carefully thought-out alterative world with sympathetic characters.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (megpyre)
    megpyre: another strong lady in the lead of this one. Robin writes beautifully!
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another opening volume in a fantasy trilogy by an Australian author, featuring a strong-minded female lead.
    Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Both fantasy novels are part of their respective sequences, very engaging and integral to well-thought-through alternative worlds.
    Green Rider by Kristen Britain (geophile)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (Nikkles)
    Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan (infiniteletters)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (sylvatica)
    The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable (keristars)

English (39)  German (1)  All (40)
My son and I both enjoyed this book. It dragged for us through at least the first half but by the end, we were involved and interested and debating on getting the second one. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
This book was way longer than it had to be. For all the pages that I had to go through, not much happened.

The plot itself was pretty good. I'm not a fan of the really-this-is-real fake sort of thing that a lot of people are so fond of, but Andrew would disagree with me on that, so it's more a matter of preference than actual problems with the story. With that said, since it was supposed to mimic a true history, I wish it could have tied more into the mythologies and ancient worlds that we currently know about. References to already-known things would have made it feel much more like a true story instead of a disjointed mythology/epic that doesn't fit in with the world as we know it now.

I think what prevented it from being something that's a must-read is all the backstory and explaining that happened in this first book. It's necessary that we have those elements, but more showing instead of telling would have been appreciated, or at least maybe more of it could have been added into an appendix so that we could have gotten more story. I wanted actual plot and character development, but things are almost the same in the end as they are in the beginning. Conflicts that could have been interesting were resolved too quickly, probably to make room for more backstory.

Though it might seem like it with all this criticism, I didn't hate this book. I think it provides a nice set-up to a story that could potentially be interesting if the storytelling itself is kicked up a notch in the subsequent books. The main character has enough of a personality to make her somewhat interesting, but again, I want that to develop more strongly in the next books. It's good enough that I'm giving this series one more book to hook me in before I give up, but if the second turns out to be similar to the first, then I don't think this is a series I need to spend my time reading.

*Originally posted on Going on to the Next ( )
  sedelia | Dec 10, 2015 |
Maedra is a sixteen year old slave when this story begins. She has survived by letting people believe that she is a witch, cursing those who try to take advantage of her. When she meets Bard Cadvan she learns that she may have some power after all, more than she even imagined. I read this in a day, and can't wait to get Book 2 in the series. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
couldn't finish reading. too uninteresting and boring and tedious. ( )
  ayliang | Jun 11, 2014 |
T'was great - fab imagery and well-build characters. Enjoyed it and wouldn't mind reading the sequel... ( )
  wendyburrill | Mar 3, 2014 |
One is the singer, hidden from sunlight

Two is the seeker, fleeing from shadows

Three is the journey, taken in danger

Four are the riddles, answered in treesong:

Earth, fire, water, air Spells you OUT!--Traditional Annaren nursery rhyme Annaren Scrolls, Library of Busk
For Josh
For almost as long as she could remember, Maerad had been imprisoned behind walls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763631620, Paperback)

Australian poet Alison Croggon brings an eye for sensual detail to this heroic fantasy that follows the genre's familiar formula: A humble person is caught up in extraordinary events and led (or sent) on a journey by a wise figure, only to discover eventually that he/she is destined to save the world in an ultimate confrontation between the powers of good and evil. In this case the young person is sixteen-year-old Maedra, who is rescued from slavery by the Bard Cadvan. They share an exhausting journey toward Innail, one of the Bard schools and strongholds that govern the land, and Maedra grows to trust Cadvan as he reluctantly reveals his magical powers in several ambushes from evil creatures. But under duress she, too, begins to discover that she has a Gift--and more. After she has learned to read, ride a horse, and handle a sword at Innail, they set out on another dangerous trek to the prestigious city of Norloch, where Cadvan hopes to consult with his mentor Nelac to confirm his conviction that Maerad is the One who was Foretold. Many other characters and creatures come into this tale, as well as mystical intimations and dreams, and lavish descriptions of landscape, food, clothes, and room furnishings. In the tradition of Tolkien, a whole history of an ancient language and culture undergirds the story, and Croggon has even provided appendices of that history, a pronunciation guide, and an invented bibliography of her sources. Die-hard fantasy fans who can forgive its slow pace will enjoy this richly imagined story and look forward to its sequel, The Riddle. (ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:30 -0400)

A manuscript from the lost civilization of Edil-Amarandah chronicles the experiences of sixteen-year-old Maerad, an orphan gifted in the magic and power of the Bards, as she escapes from slavery and begins to learn how to use her Gift to stave off the evil Darkness that threatens to consume her world.… (more)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763631620, 0763626392

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,805,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible